Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

New Wad: Deimos forgotten storage pit

Recommended Posts

I want to play this but the download zip is very strange

 

There is no textures in the wad and I can't see another wad with the textures

 

and this download is full of extra unneeded files ?

 

EDIT: I figured it out ... ish

 

video is processing

 

 

Edited by Clippy

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Clippy said:

I want to play this but the download zip is very strange

 

There is no textures in the wad and I can't see another wad with the textures

 

and this download is full of extra unneeded files ?

 

EDIT: I figured it out ... ish

 

video is processing

 

49 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Thanks for taking a look. It works fine as a pk3 for me. i did forget to remove some unused Otex textures so the file size is pretty big. I'll take a look tonight and drop a new download link. I'm pretty noobish with the technical size of Doom wad creation and i usually make mistakes with Slade : (

 

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

There is no textures in the wad and I can't see another wad with the textures

 

Just load your own copy of OTEX 1.1 fam, it works fine otheriwse.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Biodegradable said:

 

Just load your own copy of OTEX 1.1 fam, it works fine otheriwse.

I did but there is still some textures not loaded at the end of my vid

 

Also I got no custom music

Share this post


Link to post

Did you change the zip file to a pk3? I haven't played the WAD properly yet, so I can't comment on other textures missing, but the custom music's playing just fine for me.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Did you change the zip file to a pk3? I haven't played the WAD properly yet, so I can't comment on other textures missing, but the custom music's playing just fine for me.

Was that what I was suppose to do?

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, when people's download files aren't compiled like Pete' done here:

 

E7xw4gm.png

 

Just remove ".zip" and replace it with ".pk3"

 

70XGnZG.png

 

and it'll compile it and work as intended when you stick it in your sourceport. 

Edited by Biodegradable

Share this post


Link to post

Don't sweat it, fam. It's not common for people to have their WADs uncompiled like this, so I don't blame you for not knowing you can do this with zip files when this happens. I only learnt it was a thing you could do a couple of weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post

Excellent map, Pete. Much more concise and less unwieldy that that other big-ass map of yours. Straightforward progression, but tough-as-nails combat, especially on a pistol-start. The map's design is memorable and I had a fun time with it. It is a little on the short side, but given the monster that came before it, I definitely prefer this one. It's a lot more fun and less overwhelming in scope while also managing to look cool and impressive thanks to your use of height variation and complementary architecture. 10/10 ;^)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Clippy said:

I did but there is still some textures not loaded at the end of my vid

 

Also I got no custom music

Thanks for the playthrough! Really sorry that you had problems with the pk3 file. You had some textures missing and you couldn't hear the custom music. It all worked fine for me when I tested it...????

 I saved as a zip file and renamed to to a .pk3 file but sometimes it would show as a .pk3.zip file, which is strange. I'll take a look tonight and re-upload. I'm terrible when it come to the technical side of wad formation and Slade etc. I often screw stuff up.

Edited by PeterMoro

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

Very nice use of otex. Have you made any map packs?

Thank you! I have 3 other published maps. They are not like this one - they are quite lengthy and don't use Otex. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

Excellent map, Pete. Much more concise and less unwieldy that that other big-ass map of yours. Straightforward progression, but tough-as-nails combat, especially on a pistol-start. The map's design is memorable and I had a fun time with it. It is a little on the short side, but given the monster that came before it, I definitely prefer this one. It's a lot more fun and less overwhelming in scope while also managing to look cool and impressive thanks to your use of height variation and complementary architecture. 10/10 ;^)

 

 

Really enjoyed watching your playthrough and thanks for using such a cool mod,  it was killer! You missed two secrets but once came close to finding one. 

10 / 10 ......!!!!!! Thanks so much Bio!!! Glad you liked it. 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

I saved as a zip file and renamed to to a .pk3 file but sometimes it would show as a .pk3.zip file

IIRC you could just save your project as a .pk3 file from the get-go instead of having to go through a lot of hassle like that.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I completed your map.

 

Thanks for playing man! Hope you liked it. Why not record and post your first playthrough? It was pretty obvious that it wasn't your first time playing the wad. LOL Well I was impressed how you never saved once. You are pretty good at Doom. Thanks for posting the video. 

Share this post


Link to post

Very fun overall. I played on UV and was low on health and ammo the whole time, so it gave me a good challenge (that or I just suck lol). Grabbing the plasma gun and letting 'er rip on the way back up was a blast that juxtaposed the drip feed of ammo that came before. Detailing and texture work was nice, I especially liked the fine linedef detailing. A couple things to note, however. I played on GZDoom 4.3.3 with only the .pk3 loaded and the linedefs on the starting stairs were missing textures. Some of the teleport traps, specifically the crate area and the super shotty, felt like whack-a-mole with imps as there was only one teleport exit. The archvile also aggroed on me while I was in the blue key pit, idk if you intended that or not.

 

8.5/10, hoping you make more maps

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Gothic Box said:

Very fun overall. I played on UV and was low on health and ammo the whole time, so it gave me a good challenge (that or I just suck lol). Grabbing the plasma gun and letting 'er rip on the way back up was a blast that juxtaposed the drip feed of ammo that came before. Detailing and texture work was nice, I especially liked the fine linedef detailing. A couple things to note, however. I played on GZDoom 4.3.3 with only the .pk3 loaded and the linedefs on the starting stairs were missing textures. Some of the teleport traps, specifically the crate area and the super shotty, felt like whack-a-mole with imps as there was only one teleport exit. The archvile also aggroed on me while I was in the blue key pit, idk if you intended that or not.

 

8.5/10, hoping you make more maps

Thanks for playing! Glad that you liked it. 

Yeah, the stair textures are missing, that was a mistake i made in Slade that I'll fix before uploading to the ID archive. I'll tweak some of those teleport traps too. Thanks for the feedback. 

I have made a few maps before this one but they are mostly quite large maps with totally different gameplay. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, I played your map and enjoyed it overall. Here's my feedback:

  • I liked the general layout, having the map be one big room that you fight your way to the center of (and then back out). It's also pretty compact. It looked small at first but it still took me 15 minutes to beat.
  • The starting area looks very plain compared to the rest of the map, which doesn't give a great first impression. The interior part of the level is quite detailed, but the outside is just one flat surface with the UAC logos. Some vertical architecture around the stairway would also be nice I think, instead of just a short ledge separating you from the terrain.
  • I liked some of the detailing and texture use, like the vent panel in your second last screenshot. But there's also a few places where you cut right through a texture, like the wall here, and I found that a little jarring.
    Spoiler

    kGn9hlF.png

     

  • I found the level a little easy on UV, but not so easy that it gets boring. In the early fights you have a lot of room, so you just have to avoid getting whittled down by hitscanners. Then on the way back up you have so many cells you can just hold mouse1 until everything is dead. The real danger is getting zapped by the archvile from way above before you even know where he is (all my deaths were because of that).
  • Also, going back up I found that enemies tend to get stuck in the sloped radiation pits so they can't even fight back.
  • I don't think the mancubi at the bottom added much. They're no threat unless you jump down before killing them first (and why would you?). It would be more interesting if they teleported in after you went down (although maybe not three of them...)
  • Once you've hit the switch at the bottom, enemies keep teleporting in for quite a while even though there's no reason to stay after getting the blue key, especially since there's an archvile resurrecting things to take care of. Those enemies don't stop you from getting on the lift, so they don't serve much purpose. Are they supposed to spawn faster?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SCF said:

Hey, I played your map and enjoyed it overall.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it.

Share this post


Link to post

I recorded my playthrough of this map. It took a little adjustment, just remembering to use the chainsaw and infighting more often than is my habit, but I think the ammo balance was just about exactly right for what you were going for. I think there could have been another stimpack or two, and certainly more health on non-UV difficulties if there isn't already. My only real complaint is about the low light level. Especially in the lower levels where I ended up cranking up the brightness so I could see anything, and especially as it made the switch for the red key difficult for me to find. Not having a map really didn't help with that, either. Overall, though, I did enjoy it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for playing @meapineapple ! Glad you liked it. Dude i think your brightness / screen settings were originally too dark. In everyone else's play throughs and my testing, the brightness was perfect. You came close to finding a secret in the SSG room. The other is in the in a wall of the top area near a crusher. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post

This wad has now been added to the IDgames archive and so the previous link is no longer active. For the final edit, numerous adjustments have been made to the gameplay, ammo / health balance, as well as monster spawning. There are a few more monsters added but also more health + ammo. If you never found all three secrets, perhaps consider a second playthrough. It's only 15 mins long after all. 

 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dfsp

 

 

Deimos forgotten storage pit (edit area) at 2020.09.21 18-35-06.360 [R3566].jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×