Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

Sgt_Mark is making his own game, "Brutal Fate".

Mark knows how to make satisfying carnage, so I'm eager to see more of it and what is shown looks pretty badass to me. Those weapon sprites look great and the sound design is nice and chunky, just the way I like it. Bio like BIG BOOMS hehe. This trailer's a little too brief to build much of an opinion, though I know that's the point ;^) :^P I'll need to keep an eye on it, but considering I am a BD fan, I'm probably very much going to dig Brutal Fate as well.

I think the concern is more about the software itself, not the IWAD. 

Fortunately, GZDoom has been GPL v3 software since version 3.0.0. That means Mark and other devs (like Zan, creator of Hedon) can use it in their games, as long as they include a copy or link to the GZDoom source.

And no you can't sell Blade of Agony because it's the Wolfenstein IP and it's full of rips.

Yeah, GZDoom is GPL, so as long as it doesn't contain the original .iwads or any original Doom content, then it's perfectly legal to sell a game based on the engine itself. I'm going to keep my mouth shut on SGT Mark and Brutal Doom, because I've made my opinions clear in the past.

That being said, it does look kind of fun. Seeing the monsters fly through the air after getting a grenade; that does look like it would be entertaining. I'll keep my eye on it, but it's probably not an instant buy for me. Best of luck to him.

I do love a bit of Brutal, so I'll very likely check this out when it comes out. Just looked at the Steam page - screenshots and vids do look cool, though very Doom-ey.

58 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

The GZDoom engine is free to use in own created iwad, and don't have any requirement of doom or doom2 wads to work. 

Same thing as Hedon:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072150/Hedon/

Interesting about the Hedon game. That also looks pretty cool. Ill definitely be keeping an eye on that. That'll be the fourth retro game I have discovered from Doomworld (Ion Fury, WRATH: AoR, Prodeus). Keep 'em coming!

10 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

I'll keep it in a spoiler so it doesn't ruin the thread. I just can't not say something about the guy, so here goes.

Love the spoiler BTW :-)

From what I have seen, it looks a lot like "Brutal Doom + Extermination Day" but without Doom's and BD's assets and has different maps. So yeah while it might be a fun romp, it doesn't look that unique or different from his own past work.

I'll give credit where credit is due though. The weapon sprites look really great and as a fan of BUILD-like environments, the urban environment shown at 0:17 in the video looks pretty good.

2 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Interesting about the Hedon game. That also looks pretty cool. Ill definitely be keeping an eye on that. That'll be the fourth retro game I have discovered from Doomworld (Ion Fury, WRATH: AoR, Prodeus). Keep 'em coming!

I also recommend to keep an eye on Graven. It was the game that impressed me the most so far at Realm's Deep.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:34 AM, Impboy4 said:

I'm going to be brutally honest, Total Chaos should have gotten a Steam page, not this reskinned garbage.

According to this FAQ everything from this project is from scratch, no BD code or assets. (Which -if this is actually true- would mean my earlier comment about reusing Brutal gore was wrong)

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

7 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I also recommend to keep an eye on Graven. It was the game that impressed me the most so far at Realm's Deep.

Yeah that looks pretty cool too. I did love me a bit of Hexen back in the day.

57 minutes ago, Gez said:

And no you can't sell Blade of Agony because it's the Wolfenstein IP and it's full of rips.

I used to know a Gez who isn’t talking total garbage out of context.

1 hour ago, Tormentor667 said:

I wonder how he can sale the mod when it’s using the GZDoom engine.

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

I think the concern is more about the software itself, not the IWAD. 

Fortunately, GZDoom has been GPL v3 software since version 3.0.0. That means Mark and other devs (like Zan, creator of Hedon) can use it in their games, as long as they include a copy or link to the GZDoom source.

Specifically, GPLv3 actually endorses commercial use and preventing that (in regards to source, not assets) is actively a violation. 

The requirements to this are the binary you release must also have its code and any linked code also under GPLv3 (drivers and other OS specific functionality not included), so any changes you make to the binary when public must also be released, not just any source release will do. 

GPLv3 also is subject to the tivoization clause, preventing release on a platform other users cannot compile for due to encryption keys or licensing. So for example iOS and the 3 major game consoles are an absolute no go. 

In short, he's in the clear as long as he only sticks to PC and Android, any and all additions he makes are licensable under GPLv3, and matching source is released when the binary is. 

I think it's a natural evolution for modders to eventually get into developing their games. Also, Mark has pretty insane work ethic? Wasn't he working on VietDoom as well?

Can't believe I'm saying this, but this actually looks quite decent.

My main concern at the moment is optimization more than anything else. Knowing Brutal Doom's levels of optimization, I'm not holding my hopes particularly high, but I hope Sarge proves me wrong in that regard.

As long as there ain't any images from cartel executions this time around I'll check it out.

3 hours ago, Samuel Slayer said:

Wasn't he working on VietDoom as well?

VietDoom is more like a hobbyist project so it might have been pushed to a lower priority.

Interesting to see so much positive feedback. At its current state, it looks like a wad attempting a total conversation via a early Brutal Doom version. Playing the current BD in a unique Wad should give the same experience as this teaser suggests. Do people like it more because it's not related to Doom?

Nonetheless, I've always been a big Brutal Doom fan. I am ready for more of his work. I'm eager to see the monster varieties and maps. I wish Brutal Hexen got more love.

2 hours ago, Chezza said:

Do people like it more because it's not related to Doom?

Brutal Doom is cool and all, but it's not ~Doom~... By taking Brutal Doom out of the Doom context, we get rid of these... game experiential uncanny valley I experience with BD and its derivatives.

It's a minor and personal complaint, but it's one of the reasons I'm pretty excited for this.

36 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

uncanny valley

Never thought about it like that. I guess it could be the same with any hyper-realistic game that screws with 'reality'.

7 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

He's also using the flaming death sprites from Strife still.

Wait, where do you see that? I'm watching the video closely right now and can't seem to find this.

Looks pretty interesting and the sprite work, along with the sound effects is really good.

But it still does feel a bit too much like BD, especially the gore, which I admit fits this game more than it will ever fit classic Doom IMO, but isn't really my cup of tea, as much as I like graphic violence in retro games.

Though it's not my style of shooter, it definitely looks like a better use of creative energy than just adding DECORATE definitions for fully destructible demon testicles or whatever to BD. Maybe I'll be surprised at the final product, and I wish Mark an easy, pleasant, forum drama-free development cycle*.

*this will not happen