Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

Sgt_Mark is making his own game, "Brutal Fate".

The Doom answer to Ion Fury: Implementing BD's best and putting it in its own universe.

As awesome as it looks, i do need to see more. Released screenshots highlight some colored purple/yellow lights: I'd love to see more of that. Without it, it definitely looks a lot like Brutal Doom - and incidentially, Doom itself.

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

The shadows look very suspiciously like Nash's Sprite Shadows mod , as was pointed out in the ZDoom Discord.

Its pre-alpha, so likely placeholder.*

*I say likely because i do expect BF to be more of Sarge's telling of things then relying on the Doom resources first and formost.

1 hour ago, Impboy4 said:

He's also using the flaming death sprites from Strife still.

I can now see why you called this garbage earlier in this thread.

I'll be positive for a change and say: if it's using sprites from other games, maybe they're just placeholders, just like many shooters in the 90s used Doom sprites as placeholders (Shadow Warrior, Blood, Corridor 8)

Am I crazy? Because I'm not seeing those Strife burning sprites at all, and I'm sure I would if they were there because they're way lower resolution than the monster sprites. I'm still more concerned about the shadows.

17 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Am I crazy? Because I'm not seeing those Strife burning sprites at all, and I'm sure I would if they were there because they're way lower resolution than the monster sprites. I'm still more concerned about the shadows.

Me too. The Strife burning sprites aren't there at all. It's either a complete lie, or I'm totally blind.

2 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

He's also using the flaming death sprites from Strife still.

that's a lie. the burning death sprites in the trailer look NOTHING like the ones in Strife.

9 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

that's a lie. the burning death sprites in the trailer look NOTHING like the ones in Strife.

Okay, looking back at the trailer, I see the burning sprites are original. But even so, still not touching this.

12 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

Okay, looking back at the trailer, I see the burning sprites are original. But even so, still not touching this.

Is it still garbage or?

I do agree that the game, as it looks now, lacks a bit of identity. Hence why i like the recent screens showing colored lights - It definitely helps elevating the vast amount of either grey or ludicrous amount of gibs otherwise.

As a FREE MOD it would be average/good. As a standalone game - it's a shit. The level design looks flat (especially if you compare it with Ion Fury - the last similar oldschool "game"), and it's just a BD with new maps which you must buy first before playing. No, thanks, I'll just play BD with the free mappack instead.

As mentioned earlier in this thread - Total Chaos deserves to be on Steam instead.

To be honest, I don't like the idea to sell GZDoom -m-o-d-s-. Like the Forestale. And This. If you want to make a game - do it on Unity or FPS Creator. But don't touch GZDoom. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not illegal, you can do it. But if it looks not like Total Chaos - I'll call your "game" shitty mod

12 minutes ago, Deⓧiaz said:

As a FREE MOD it would be average/good. As a standalone game - it's a shit. The level design looks flat (especially if you compare it with Ion Fury - the last similar oldschool "game"), and it's just a BD with new maps which you must buy first before playing. No, thanks, I'll just play BD with the free mappack instead.

As mentioned earlier in this thread - Total Chaos deserves to be on Steam instead.

To be honest, I don't like the idea to sell GZDoom -m-o-d-s-. Like the Forestale. And This. If you want to make a game - do it on Unity or FPS Creator. But don't touch GZDoom. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not illegal, you can do it. But if it looks not like Total Chaos - I'll call your "game" shitty mod

So you based your entire opinion of the game off of a short teaser of a game that's still in its alpha state, where you aren't able to play it yet.

Okay. Seems pretty unfair, but okay.

Also, does Hedon not count as a game given that it was made in the GZDoom engine? What makes GZDoom any less viable to use than something like Unity? Total Chaos also runs on the GZDoom engine, and yet you seem to have glowing praise for it as a mod and seem like you would be happy for it to be a standalone game.

3 minutes ago, CasualScrub said:

So you based your entire opinion of the game off of a short teaser of a game that's still in its alpha state, where you aren't able to play it yet.

You're right, judging the whole game on teaser is stupid, it's like judging Doom 2016 by it's own teaser about sand scenery and Cyberdemon behind the door with classic Doom sound.

BUT. Both alpha teasers are makes a clear idea about the choosen way of development by authors of both projects.

I see only a wish of Sgt. Mark to make a BD for Steam. It's not the same as Ion Fury does. I can't call it "Duke Nukem inside the Blade Runner". But I can call the Brutal Fate as Brutal Doom without IWAD assets. And this sounds bad.

8 minutes ago, CasualScrub said:

Also, does Hedon not count as a game given that it was made in the GZDoom engine

Yes, because it also looks like a solid, BUT a Doom mod. Not the new game on GZDoom engine.

10 minutes ago, CasualScrub said:

Total Chaos also runs on the GZDoom engine, and yet you seem to have glowing praise for it as a mod and seem like you would be happy for it to be a standalone game

It doesn't looks like a Doom at all. It makes absolutely different atmosphere and while playing it you can forgot you're dealing with Doom.

41 minutes ago, Deⓧiaz said:

If you want to make a game - do it on Unity or FPS Creator. But don't touch GZDoom.

That has to be the stupidest thing I've read in a while. It doesn't matter what engine someone decides to make a game on, if they make something great and doesn't require Doom, they should be able to release it standalone, whether for a price or not.

Ok, whatever. But even ignoring the fact about the engine, Brutal Fate is just a boring Doom/Brutal Doom clone. I'll not buy it.

It's not an objective criticism, of course. If you like it - ok, why not.

For me the excellent game has better graphics, better textures, better sprites and weapons I have nothing more to say but the game oh mod is excellent I hope to play it in the future

2 hours ago, Deⓧiaz said:

Am I missing something? Because I am really not getting this criticism. If Wadaholic wants to put Total Chaos on steam he can do that assuming it's not copied anything from a resource he don't have the rights to. 

This or Hedon hasn't taken that away from Total Chaos. Like them or not, they have every right to be on the Steam store page, since they are stand alone games. Being made with the Doom engine doesn't change that.

@Deⓧiaz The current alpha levels definitely do look flat. The game itself looks like if Serious Sam was 2D and extremely gory. But being a early alpha and knowing Mark's levels in Doom - I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that his levels will be decent.

Personally I'm hoping for smaller challenging and satisfying skirmishes with strong demons over mass carnage with weaker ones (ideally is balances out, have a bit of both). I suppose I'm looking for some inspiration from Doom Eternal.

1 hour ago, Deⓧiaz said:

Ok, whatever. But even ignoring the fact about the engine, Brutal Fate is just a boring Doom/Brutal Doom clone. I'll not buy it.

It's not an objective criticism, of course. If you like it - ok, why not.

Could it be that you will have to install reshade in the graphics engine? 

I'm not a fan of Brutal Doom but this stand alone GZDoom engine game has peak my interest at least enough for me to add this on my Steam wishlist.

On 9/6/2020 at 1:38 AM, STILES said:

Wonder what kind of enemies we can expect to fight against in this?

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Looks like Brutal Doom without the Doom assets, pretty much. Looks like a fun enough time waster! My brain registers this as a TC more than it's own game, then again as a kid I felt the same way about Duke Nukem (in a good way, at least) so take my grain of salt with an opinion.

basically it's (brutal) doom, one enemy even looks like a baron / knight (a walking goat). so that's as close as it gets to doom without  breaking copyright. well, he has my support. 

I’m not impressed with what I’ve seen so far. I think I’ll wait to see more before deciding whether to check it out or not, but I don’t like BD, so I’m sure I won’t like this either, but if it shows more promise in a later trailer then maybe that’ll spark some interest for me to check it out.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:34 PM, CasualScrub said:

Note: For the love of all that's good, please try and keep the discussion related to this game, and not about your opinions of BD or Mark himself. Every time that happens it devolves into a shitfest, and I'm really just kinda over that.

I'm posting this simply so that you guys are aware of the game, in case you might be interested in it.

DAMN! i loved brutal doom, i can't wait to try this.

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

So it's basically Brutal NotFreeNotDoom.

But it's brutal. 

Am I looking at a different video than everyone else? This looks fantastic. The impression I get is that he finally decided that his gameplay teaks wandered so far from Doom that it was time to let it be its own game. It sounds like he's developing the AI marine gameplay beyond the "First Person Cannon Fodder" in BD:ED, which is already quite fun. And the art is attractive and coherent -- a huge improvement over the (charming) gradeschool-doodle kitsch of BD.

I do agree with Redneckerz that it doesn't seem to have much of an identity. I hope it develops a personality beyond "Gory Shooter Game".

BD is a very, very small part of my Doom diet, but I enjoyed it and I look forward to this.

I'm also happy to pay a lone creator toiling away in South America on a passion project, rather than feeding a multibillion-dollar media conglomerate (well . . . Steam :/). There are lots of Doom projects I'd gladly pay for. I consider a communitarian donation model more ideal, but I don't mind this.