Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

Funniest DOOM bugs thread

I've found some funny DOOM bugs, that just make the game so much better by finding them. So, I decided to dedicate this topic (which I'm surprised hasn't been made yet, or was, but was lost in the forum) to some of the funniest bugs you've found playing DOOM. this could be from any DOOM game, any DOOM port, or a game made with the DOOM engine. There are some cool ones out there, and to start the topic, I'll use one that is actually pretty well known, but can still be interesting when you find it. A few months ago I made a topic asking about this feature, and learning that it was a bug made me laugh. Sometimes, when you run into the wall with Doomguy, he can bounce off of it, which could make for a pretty funny discovery for anybody playing DOOM for their first time. So, what are some funny, or interesting glitches you've found playing DOOM?

Ghost monsters. Every time it occurs it's just a huge "holy shit" moment. It occurred to me once while playing one of my own maps- a baron got resurrected. Yea, good luck splash-damaging that thing.

At number 2, I'd probably say the mancubus fireball clipping. Never occurred to me on a stock map, not even Dead Simple, but it just caught me off guard while playtesting another map of my own. I had a good laugh about that one, since I thought I had already encountered the full effect of the bug. Guess I was wrong. Lethally wrong.

Slime trails are morbidly funny to any mapper who's worked with imperfect node builders. You just sit there, admire the sight, and then move on hoping that streamers won't mercilessly joke about it. The best of us can't help but smile when seeing the engine struggle with certain geometry at certain angles.

Once I placed area above map size limits and I've got weird bugs like rev punching me to death(not even them being in that area) or shotgunner stuck in middle of map flat and physics didn't work as intended. It was weird but funny experience. 

My favorite Doom bug would be the times when monster corpses start sliding on ledges.

In Decino's video about infighting, I believe he shows a clip of a baron fighting itself in E1M8. I can just imagine the baron saying in its head "why the hell am I doing this again?".

MAP22 - The Catacombs (DOOM II)

When you open the red door and see two chain-gunners, they don't react at all even if they see you.  Maybe if you get a little closer??

They might not be in that room if you use a easier difficulty setting. 

34543dd.PNG

I had a funny one happen to me last month on MAP10 of my playthrough of 1K Lines for the DWmegaWAD Club when I ran into an Arch-Vile resurrecting dead demons and this happened:

Edited by Biodegradable

Oh my fuck, in multiplayer servers I've seen monsters that were actually dead appear to still be walking in place, but you couldn't interact with them at all and it was just a side effect of lag (the secondary usage of the term "ghost monster", which I'm just now realizing isn't actually documented on the wiki..). However, I've never seen a monster that wasn't dead go into it's "corpse" state yet continue to attack.. That's amazing.