Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genesis6763

Track on the Plutonia Fan Soundtrack is inspired by Genesis

Pretty sure this was a somewhat common thing for this project. Doomwiki has a list which states the inspiration/sources of a few of the tracks.

Oh no, a completely free add-on for a nearly 30 year old game stole a few notes from a popular song...

What can we do about this?  Something must be done!

To be honest Bucket's song only has a passing similarity. It's in a different key and the riff is changed up and everything. Similar of course but by no means a dead ringer.

4 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

To be honest Bucket's song only has a passing similarity. It's in a different key and the riff is changed up and everything. Similar of course but by no means a dead ringer.

The OP's name is Genesis, he is clearly a fanboy, he is going to hear Genesis in everything.

EDIT: Let me also mention I didn't actually listen to the video...because I don't really care.  As a very popular WAD author once said "We are all fifth-hand content thieves at this point."

Jeez my guy, I just noticed a large similarity between the two tracks. Towards the end of The Dividing Line, there is a drum solo of sorts with a synth bass riff in the background. Plug Ugly features the same thing at the end of the song. 

Bobby Prince will be hearing from my lawyer, who's name just happens to be... *checks business card* Robert Prince! (What a strange coincidence, eh?)

This "Bobby" guy is going down!

I look forward to the day when all Metal songs and all Doom content are owned by pure, lawsuit-happy slimeballs. Shit will go down over Doom's soundtrack some time in the future. Look what happened to George Harrison or Men at Work and tell me it's not likely! It's gonna happen one day assuming we don't all kill eachother first. Mark my words....

Just gonna throw my hippie shit in here and say people should view inspiration as flattery, not as a one-way ticket to a free yacht. Ha, I live in a fantasy world.

4 minutes ago, Genesis6763 said:

Jeez my guy, I just noticed a large similarity between the two tracks. Towards the end of The Dividing Line, there is a drum solo of sorts with a synth bass riff in the background. Plug Ugly features the same thing at the end of the song. 

It's just not that big of a deal as you think it is, that's our point here.

Yeah I guess it doesn't really matter considering its free but still, they sound very similar don't they? I mean, it would have nice to see some sort of recognition of their inspiration or where they heard it from.

The similarities are intentional, and known by all parties -- here's the original post where the midi author (Bucket) submitted the track, and even explicitly cites that it's based on The Dividing Line:

So yeah, there's no issue here. The author acknowledged the source in the OP, Doomwiki documents it, and Jimmy was clearly fine with it since it made it into the final pack. It's no more 'blatant' than any of Bobby Prince's tracks, and straight midi covers of copyrighted music appear in wads all the time.

I think the word "plagiarized" is what triggered most of us here. In this cast it's inspiration. If it was 1:1, I would feel differently, that I will say.

Just now, Doomkid said:

It's a clear inspiration! I think the word "plagiarized" is what triggered most of us here. In this cast it's not even plagiarism, it's inspiration. If it was 1:1, I would feel differently, that I will say.

This pretty much.  The word "plagiarized" is pretty serious.

I'm pretty sure the idea of this project was to make a Bobby Prince-style soundtrack for Plutonia, and part of the Bobby Prince style is doing this kind of thing with already popular rock songs. They're not copied note for note or anything, they're intentional sound-alikes. Doom 1 and 2 soundtrack did this kind of thing, and so did the TNT soundtrack, so it makes sense to do that for Plutonia.

You can think that's shamelessly derivative or whatever (and I'm sure there's a case you could make), but it's not plagiarism. That's a very serious allegation, especially around here.

To be honest, I wasn't incredibly familiar with the concept behind this soundtrack before I first heard it. I was playing through Plutonia for the first time and put this soundtrack on for fun and really enjoyed it. It just so happens that this one track struck me as familiar to this song so I posted it here. I chose the wrong words in "plagiarized." It's my mistake, truly. Great soundtrack by the way, love the references to classic Doom tracks, especially on Plunge Saw.

Accidental inspiration or homage is more probable. I suspect many cases of supposed plagrism/copyright infringement in the music industry were unintentional. It is all too easy to have something crop up while improvising/writing music and not remember it came from something you heard. I have done it myself.

I'm much more offended that Bucket chose to pay homage to a late-era Genesis track, when their earlier stuff exists. When can I get some midi-fied homages to White Mountain? Or The Fountain of Salmacis?

On a more serious note, I think it's a little cute to be discussing the grey area of homage vs. plagiarism when Steve Hackett did this:

(Not that I think it's a problem or anything, Hackett's one of my favourite guitarists.)

BTW, has anyone actually looked at the title of the level for which that song was meant? I mean...

18 hours ago, Xaser said:

So yeah, there's no issue here. The author acknowledged the source in the OP, Doomwiki documents it

It actually didn't!

19 hours ago, guitardz said:

This pretty much.  The word "plagiarized" is pretty serious.

Especially in a community like ours, who had many controversies surrounding intelectual theft over the years, one of them very recently...

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

It actually didn't!

It did -- check the posts in that thread after the submission. Bucket originally submitted the track for MAP14 under the name "Plugged In", but wasn't satisfied and ended up writing a different track for MAP14's slot (still using the name "Plugged In", somewhat confusingly). Jimmy liked the original tune enough that he used it for MAP23, and Bucket requested that it be renamed "Plug Ugly".

tl;dr it's the MAP23 track that sounds like The Dividing Line, not MAP14's. The wiki was originally correct about this; that recent edit should be reverted.

Weird -- I could've sworn it was there on the wiki page, but checking the edit history, it's not. I'm having a Mandela Moment. :P

20 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Man fuck Genesis 

More of a Super Nintendo man? I gotta agree there.