Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ghostpilot

Point me to the best "mapmaker tutorial"

I want to learn how to make maps.
I have looked at a few tutorials. Those were very bad.
I only learned how to make a squareshaped room.
And I could do that wihout the tutorials... :(

I guess 50% of all mapmakers are selfthought.
But the rest may have used a tutorial of some sort I assume.
So there must be some GOOD tutorials out there.

So, as the topic says:
Point me to the BEST "mapmaker tutorial".

Ghostpilot said:

So, as the topic says:
Point me to the BEST "mapmaker tutorial".

I didn't find any good tutorials when I started mapping, so I spent dozens of hours trying to learn how to make levels. There must be some tutorials somewhere though...

I started to use wadauthor a little.
It´s not THAT complicated, but I feel like there are many things that I miss if I use the "try and fail and then try again"-method.

It would be nice to look at a tutorial and learn from others mistakes.
It would be a shame if I have to "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.

Are you looking for an editor that's easy to understand, where trial&error is the best way? DCK... (yeah i know, shameless plug, but hey, no shame in it)

Well, it´s not the editor I´m looking for.

I´m looking for a tutorial on mapmaking in general.
I don´t care of what editor I have to use, since I basicly don´t know how to use them yet.

I watched the tutorial for DeeP97 when I got it and learned that rooms have to be drawn clockwise and objects in rooms counterclockwise. That's all I ever learned. I got DeePsea at one point and started making levels from there.

My levels after UAC.wad were made with grid snap on, and I do EVERYTHING with the grid enabled. I go anywhere from 64 (to align flats) to 4 (for oddly angled walls). I try to make all my LineDefs be a multiple of 8 when I draw now. But if something is small, it can't be helped.

My first levels were boring and bland. My new ones, like Grind2, are pretty good. I have a lot of progress behind me, I think. =) I pretty much showed myself how to do everything. It takes a lot of time and work and trial and error to get a good level going. I make sure everything is right (all sectors closed, no visual errors) before I even move on to the next thing. I do spend a lot of time fixing broken things.

When I draw maps, I make new rooms by drawing a four-sided figure off to the side and then drag the verticies to where I need them. If I need more than four sides, I split LineDefs as many times as I need. I have the default light for rooms be 0 so I'm basically forced to work on sector lighting later on.

That's all I can teach you. =P

Thank you.

I guess it´s the old "try and fail"-method then.
Wich mapeditor do you think is best?

I´m going to use wadauthor.
I can´t afford deepsea. I´t cost me more to pay so that I can pay than deepsea costs. I hate paypal. I don´t want to pay just to be able to pay...

I use DeePsea. Tossed a few bucks out because I really liked the thing. I'll be paying some more soon to get the update (my version is pretty freakin' old). I've used other editors but I didn't like them as much as DeePsea.