Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

GZFreePunk - a FreeDoom fork for GZDoom

43 minutes ago, doom guy66 said:

It seems like a interesting idea I think you should pursue it.

I think I will then

Hi, it's only as remaking the core maps, then yeah it's feels something that on the long run will be worthy.

Also some screenshots of the map that you edited should be good to show the difference of the map to the people!

9 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Hi, it's only as remaking the core maps, then yeah it's feels something that on the long run will be worthy.

Also some screenshots of the map that you edited should be good to show the difference of the map to the people!

I will try to change as little as possible, but SOME minor changes WILL be needed

here is a screenshot of MAP 01, the area with the nukage switch where you raise the nukage level

gzfreedoom2-map01-pumpswitch.png

and

here is a screenshot of MAP01 the nukage area where you must go down and raise the level...

in the GZDoom edition, you must raise the amount of nukage so it becomes high enough to swim to the other side

gzfreedoom2-map01-nukage.png

Edited by CBM

7 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

A very old one. Look at the HUD, pistol, and medikit. And that MAP01 (the base for their GZDoom version) hasn't been in the game in years. @CBM are you still playing with Freedoom 0.7 or something?

hm not sure

what is the newest version and where can I find it?

I just found v.0.12.1 from last year here

https://freedoom.github.io/download.html

screenshot

doom27.png

also found the latest autobuild from last night here

http://freedoom.soulsphere.org/

okay, new levels :D

Well... I will get started on "GZDooming" E1M1 then, from the most recent build of FreeDoom phase 1

Edited by CBM

made both lifts as 3D lifts in E1M1 by writing generic zscript lift function:

#include "zcommon.acs"

// global lift settings
int LiftSpeed = 32;
int LiftDelay = 60;

script 1 ENTER
{ // INIT
    // reflection on topfloor at second lift location
	Sector_SetPlaneReflection(5,100,0);
}

//generic lift script

script 2 (int LiftTag, int LiftRange)
{ // Lift
FloorAndCeiling_LowerByValue(LiftTag,LiftSpeed,LiftRange);
TagWait(LiftTag);
Delay(LiftDelay);
FloorAndCeiling_RaiseByValue(LiftTag,LiftSpeed,LiftRange);
TagWait(LiftTag);
}

and made a floor shiny

Screenshot-Doom-20200908-081332.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-081322.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-081250.png

trying to decide if the first lift needs a kind of support since its 'floating' atm..

decided to do it, this support raises and lowers with the platform

Screenshot-Doom-20200908-082110.png

E1M1 complete except for :

* dynamic lights

* polyobject doors

dynamic lights added to starting area and screenshots of the water part:

Screenshot-Doom-20200908-104728.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-104818.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-104845.png

added more decorations ... and....

a 'necessary' secret and additional 'effects', that makes sure certain other 'effects' are not broken

Edited by CBM

3 hours ago, Xerenogan said:

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out in the end.

Keep up the good work.

new screenshots of the lift in the E1M1 starting area

Screenshot-Doom-20200908-164219.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-164213.png

dynamic lightning complete

Screenshot-Doom-20200908-170129.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-170118.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-170102.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-170045.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-170033.png

first polyobject door - this is a sliding door

Screenshot-Doom-20200908-171115.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-171111.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-171112.png

added a second sliding door and added the first dual sliding door (3 polyobject doors so far... 4 if you count the dual one twice)

Screenshot-Doom-20200908-182455.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-182447.png Screenshot-Doom-20200908-182443.png

added a second dual sliding door.... both large blue doors are now this type, and the exit is now a swinging polyobject door

now I just need to look at the remaining doors... the one remaining large door, I will try to make in to a dual swinging door

and other regular doors that are regular atm will be single sliding doors, only the locker doors in the blue doors room will remain default doors

Edited by CBM

my first polyobject door without infinite height.... this opens up endless possibilities

Screenshot-Doom-20200909-093150.png

so far this project has self-taught me a lot about polyobjects

The GZFREEDOOM E1M1 level is now completed! It even contains a 'portal linedef' 'monitor'

I will upload the file here for people to try out E1M1 in GZDoom format and share thoughts etc.... the rest of the freedoom 1 levels are also there, but they are unaltered at the moment...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mh7kmrtaxi3admw/freedoom1.wad?dl=0

just found a bug in E1M1 that I will fix, fixed, link updated

this link will be updated as I begin working on the remaining levels, until all episodes of freedoom1 are converted to GZDoom...

Edited by CBM

first screenshots of E1M2 - WIP

e1m2.png

e1m2b.png

Edited by CBM

no worries... this project is still very much alive

I will begin learning Unity so that I can make a complete set of FREEDOOM 3D monsters for freedoom ... in MD3 format... that has not been done yet afaik

then I will make 3D objects for everything else also, such that Freedoom can have its very OWN 3D modelpacks, that would be a natural companion for the 3D Freedoom levels, once they are done.

When all has been completed, I plan on a stand-alone FreeDoom 3D release featuring the GZdoom engine, 3D monster pack, GZDoom editions of all freedoom 1 and 2 levels, 3D weapon and pickups pack plus a 3D decoration and props pack

(did you know that there are actually some of the default doom props completely missing from even the newest Freedoom???)

the result, I hope, will be a completely modernized Freedoom... But it will take time.... just as everything else takes time

AND... even now... it is still a learning process for me

btw.. has anyone tried the e1m1 gzfreedoom level I posted? would like feedback to know if I am going in the right direction. This is afterall, not a project I am doing just for my own amusement, but also to try and bring joy to others :D

Go wild with this, pal!
Freedoom maps are open to all kind of modification if you want.
So create your own story of Freedoom!
That is something i was thinking on doing for a long time.

I have updated the topic with details regarding forming a gzfreedoom dev team

perhaps someone would like to make a github repo or something similar

that person could then be configuration manager (version control and project configuration management) or perhaps just... the github guy

On 10/7/2020 at 4:30 AM, P41R47 said:

Go wild with this, pal!
Freedoom maps are open to all kind of modification if you want.
So create your own story of Freedoom!
That is something i was thinking on doing for a long time.

I would be honored if you would consider being the first to join my gzfreedoom team

I have not considered story yet that is something we will also need if it differs from the one used by regular freedoom

keep in mind that this project and all its resources are to be completely free for anyone but subject to the same restrictions as freedoom assuming any relevant ones exists... mainly because these are actual freedoom levels being converted and modified for gzdoom

37 minutes ago, CBM said:

I would be honored if you would consider being the first to join my gzfreedoom team

I have not considered story yet that is something we will also need if it differs from the one used by regular freedoom

keep in mind that this project and all its resources are to be completely free for anyone but subject to the same restrictions as freedoom assuming any relevant ones exists... mainly because these are actual freedoom levels being converted and modified for gzdoom

I would love to join, but i don't have much free time.

And my rig can't run at all the new GZDoom builds so i may not even be able to playtest it.

Sorry, i really appreciate your offer as Freedoom is something that i really love, but i had to decline.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

I would love to join, but i don't have much free time.

And my rig can't run at all the new GZDoom builds so i may not even be able to playtest it.

Sorry, i really appreciate your offer as Freedoom is something that i really love, but i had to decline.

Ok, sorry to hear that. But if you get the time and a better rig and wish to help me, then let me know :)

my current active projects:

///// community driven projects...  \\\\\

GZDoom-1 (soon officially relaunched, based on the idea from Doom-1, has some 3D mosnters already ready for use)

GZFreeDOOM (based on FreeDoom, meant as a suggestion for use as the default freedoom for the GZDoom engine - eventually after the levels themselves are done... I want to make and release monster packs, items packs etc - that match the existing freedoom monsters, decorations, items etc...)

///// solo projects... \\\\\

After Dawn (GZDoom project based on GeneTech and also serves as a personal experimental playground, currently testing the use of 3D driveable animated cars - GTA style... ultimate goal is to try and replicate the 3D tanks that Sergeant mark IV did for vietdoom)

Generic 3D MD3 animated monster beastiary available for GZDoom projects, centered around various themes, currently its warhammer 40000

Edited by CBM

43 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Will this be licensed under the terms of the 3-clause BSD?

I am looking forward to this project BTW.

Thanks, I hope it will be epic... it needs manpower though.. since I am still the only team member and I currently have many other projects that are demanding my attention :)

I'd be honored if you would consired being the first one to join my GZFreedoom team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GZFreedoom will have whatever license the original FreeDOOM has :D  (BSD)

Since its actually just a 'modernization' of the original FreeDOOM :)

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Freedoom

the conversion process...

* loading up one of the current freedoom maps in doombuilder

* convert the map type from BOOM to DOOM2 UDMF

* add GZDoom features like dynamic lights, polyobject doors, 3D floors, 3D lifts etc

all maps must have started their life as a freedoom boom map... however minor changes in the levels themselves will be unavoidable since it can be needed in order to squeeze some GZDoom goodness in to the specific map

Ie. On freedoom map 02 I added a room underneath another room and that required a few minor changes to the levels layout. HOWEVER... it is key that the gzfreedoom levels can still be identified as being a modern version of a specific freedoom level...

at the very end, when all maps from freedoom 1 and 2 plus freedoom deathmatch are converted to be GZDoom maps with GZDoom features....

then I will start work on a 3D model pack for the various freedoom monsters, decorations etc... such that GZFreedoom can be a fully 3D and modern version of FreeDOOM :D

NB: some of the freedoom monsters and items are currently pretty weak, even by sprite standards... so I can not promise that ALL freedoom monsters will be translated to 3D directly when the time comes...

I am also considering... after the maps and 3d stuff is done... if the textures needs an overhaul... I am not too happy with many of the current freedoom textures

Edited by CBM

my current active projects:

///// community driven projects...  \\\\\

GZDoom-1 (BACK IN BUSINESS, go nutz... based on the idea from Doom-1, has some 3D mosnters already ready for use... the monsters are not released yet though... due to the teams wish on focusing on level geometry to begin with...)

GZFreeDOOM (based on FreeDoom, meant as a suggestion for use as the default freedoom for the GZDoom engine - eventually after the levels themselves are done... I want to make and release monster packs, items packs etc - that match the existing freedoom monsters, decorations, items etc...)

///// solo projects... \\\\\

After Dawn (GZDoom project based on GeneTech and also serves as a personal experimental playground, currently testing the use of 3D driveable animated cars - GTA style... ultimate goal is to try and replicate the 3D tanks that Sergeant mark IV did for vietdoom)

GZSpace Crusade (Just a quick TC that will feature my interpretation of all missions from the board game, GZDoom DOOM 2 UDMF maps and my preferred 3D monsters+decorations.. so there might not be a 1:1 match between the boardgame monsters and the GZDoom monsters... mainly meant for my own practice and to have something to use my many downloaded & animated wh40k 3rd party models for)

Generic 3D MD3 animated monster beastiary available for GZDoom projects, centered around various themes, currently its warhammer 40000

GZFREEDOOM-MAP03.jpg

GZFREEDOOM-MAP03b.jpg

GZFREEDOOM-MAP04.jpg

screenshots from gzfreedoom maps 3 and 4

Edited by CBM

2 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Pretty freaking cool man :) keep up the good work!