Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ks4

Subjective vision of new generations

The new people just spend their time watching noob gameplays and playing fortnite or roblox, things renamed as memes, and listening untalented neo-electronic music made by kids in fl studio.

Spoiler

I think that before 2012 the internet, games and music content was better, more beautiful and professional in spite of the low machines performance supposedly.

Spoiler

The culture and media is in decline.

Edited by kokrean

Yeah, everything back in my damn days was better than this uncultured garbage we see nowadays, pfft.

That's sarcasm if you can't tell. One man's junk is another man's treasure. As times have changed so did people and their standards, tastes, preferences, and so on, newer generations tend to like very different things from the older and have different worldviews, but that's also true for each and every individual being out there. Also, as one grows older, it becomes more difficult for them to adapt to change and the world slowly turns alien to them, in addition to an increasing sentiment of irrelevance, as what was once important now seems to slowly fall into obscurity.

The point is, the world is changing, rapidly, and there's no reason to refuse to adapt to it, regardless of one's feelings. Otherwise, it moves on without you. "Dead, deceased, but life moves on". Have fun in your little box.

Edited by seed

20 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I think most people go through a phase where they think "everything after year X is trash!"

The important thing is to move on from that phase. A lot of people enter the phase and bask in it til old age, swearing that no new good thing shal ever happen again. They mistake being crotchety for being a product of a "better era" (which is always hilarious).

All it really is, is nostalgia to the point of closed-mindedness. Nothing wrong with a little nostalgia, but the past was actually shittier than the present, regardless of the mainstream mentality that says otherwise.

Nah, this may have held some truth if talking about prior decades, but you just have to look at things the way they are now in culture to realise that things have gone to complete shit.

Hollywood doesn't make films anymore, they make CG animations full of empty action and no story. They have become purely about lowest common denominator highest return slop, saying Hollywood sucks now vs. say the 1980s isn't being crotchety, it's the truth. Film making has devolved horribly because of the overemphasis on technology and I'd say the disrespect the system has for its audience's intelligence. 

The AAA videogame industry of today is a horrible nightmare of constant greed and corruption, the only real positive part of the industry, the indy side, is I think in a better state than the indy film industry nowadays but a lot of what they're doing is following what worked in the past. I don't blame them for that, and I think to maybe learn how we actually go forward again we have to regress somewhat away from the one way approach AAA games have fallen into.

The anime industry is... uh, I think I'd rather just C'thulhu rise and kill us all before getting into that shit. 

But with music, I might be very focused in my taste but music's the one thing I think is generally progressing positively.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

The point is, the world is changing, rapidly, and there's no reason to refuse to adapt to it, regardless of one's feelings. Otherwise, it moves on without you. "Dead, deceased, but life moves on". Have fun in your little box.

I call that bullshit and deflection of criticism. Just because something is happening doesn't make it good, and just because it's the way things are doesn't make it immune to being criticised. 

27 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

image.png

Obligatory Duke Nukem voice rendition.

5 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I call that bullshit and deflection of criticism. Just because something is happening doesn't make it good, and just because it's the way things are doesn't make it immune to being criticised. 

No such thing was happening there, it was primarily a reaction to "everything was better in the past" mindset - when it really wasn't all that good...

What you raised in your previous post was all valid, Hollywood and the gaming industry have gone to shit overall and that's an objective truth, and I'm never going to say it's not.

New movies are only published in netflix and amazon with kid actors within ridiculous clothes and shy love stories.

2 minutes ago, kokrean said:

@TheMightyHeracross 80's and 90's were good too, but after 2015 the decency in culture was lost.

You're missing the point. I'm saying that in the 80's, 90's and 00's decades there were always older people being just as hostile to the things you enjoy as you are to the things that younger generations enjoy. How can you miss the irony of ranting about the loss of "decency in culture" on a Doom forum, when in its time Doom was probably one of the biggest targets for the exact same kinds of rants about "culture in decline"?

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

The important thing is to move on from that phase.

I can't help but think of this everytime someone brings up the subject of "adapt to change and move on" lol

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.p

Yeah I agree there's no point in getting so attached to things, if you like it you like it, if not there's no need to beat yourself up over it.

Edited by sluggard

5 minutes ago, seed said:

No such thing was happening there, it was primarily a reactor to "everything was better in the past" mindset - when it really wasn't all that good...

I was going to edit my post to clarify but, I feel just as a blank statement its an empty generalisation, and I do think we should be specific because when people make criticisms on x they tend to have reasons to do so and I think going to "it's just nostalgia" is never really fair, and well, I gave fairly big examples that I think have arguments to be made.

And specifically I feel there's a lot of issues with the art of storytelling in the various mediums, its what I care about, where my creative passions are and it's not fucking nostalgia that makes me say most modern movies are empty soulless husks when compared to older films that were made with far more care, attention and craft. Like even if the general point in the past was still to make money, it still seemed like major movie studios considered it worth the effort to try and make high quality films, and nowadays that just doesn't happen. Granted, most of my favourite movies were independently made, and most movies worth a shit now are independently made, but my point is the Hollywood system was at least geared towards making actual movies and not CG exploitation fests in the past.

And that's a specific thing but it's quite a big thing at least talking about mainstream culture.  

Edited by hybridial

There was a wide-ranging longitudinal study done recently correlating someone's age to the music they enjoyed the most.

On average (of course with exceptions), the music people listened to between their early teens and late teens remained, in their eyes, the "best" era of music for the rest of their lives.

This was true regardless of the person's current age, or the genre of the music. I suspect this is probably true for general culture as well.

I'd also echo some comments above: I genuinely laughed out load when I saw the videos that OP deemed "better" culture. Xbox 360 Longplays and Black Eyed Peas? That was as much "kids of today" to me when it was popular as the things OP is complaining about now.

37 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I was going to edit my post to clarify but, I feel just as a blank statement its an empty generalisation, and I do think we should be specific because when people make criticisms on x they tend to have reasons to do so and I think going to "it's just nostalgia" is never really fair, and well, I gave fairly big examples that I think have arguments to be made. 

I know, I've also edited mine - I don't really agree about the anime side of things though, but everything else was spot on.

Still, my point was that one, nostalgia is just as dangerous as hindsight and losing perspective. Heracross' post above illustrates the irony perfectly, complaining about "cultural decline" on a Doom forum is completely self-defeating considering Doom, the Build engine games, Mortal Kombat, extreme music, and other "controversial" forms of art have all been cited as perfect examples of the said decline in the past, especially as "moral decline".

And overall, when it comes to social progress in particular, I'd much rather live now in the 2020s than say in the 1960s, no doubt about that.

Edited by seed

1 minute ago, seed said:

And overall, when it comes to social progress in particular, I'd much rather live now in the 2020s than say in the 1960s, no doubt about that.

I think OP probably just looked at the Internet and said that without actually living in the 80s or 90s (I guess as the title). Probably the problem here is somebody is taking 2020's bad things and compare it with 1990's best things, so this is the likely outcome of this... As someone who was born in 1980s, there are quite a lot of inconvenience back in the time, and we tend to ignore those as it's too far away and you can't remember anymore and only remember your best memories. That's why this happened I think.

Every time period has its own problem and own good stuff. Doom is just happened to be 1990's gold.

6 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I think OP probably just looked at the Internet and said that without actually living in the 80s or 90s (I guess as the title). Probably the problem here is somebody is taking 2020's bad things and compare it with 1990's best things, so this is the likely outcome of this... As someone who was born in 1980s, there are quite a lot of inconvenience back in the time, and we tend to ignore those as it's too far away and you can't remember anymore and only remember your best memories. That's why this happened I think.

Every time period has its own problem and own good stuff. Doom is just happened to be 1990's gold.

Well, yeah, obvious that if you compare good things from a time period versus the worst from another you're going to end up with inconclusive results.

Like I said, it would have been even rougher for most of us if it was a different period, say 1960s or 1980s in particular in my country, no thanks, the '80s were the worst of our entire Communist regime.

13 minutes ago, Bauul said:

On average (of course with exceptions), the music people listened to between their early teens and late teens remained, in their eyes, the "best" era of music for the rest of their lives.

I'm thinking that didn't happen with me because I just generally did not care about music until I was 16, 17. And then I was into pop shit for like a year. Evanescence made me lean more to metal, Nightwish pulled me fully in, and well, whatever it's been since then it has been metal but I have definitely shifted, because metal's a broad label but a very, very wide selection of different styles. 

I would say that yeah, a lot of people don't in general seem to move on from whatever they liked in their teens, whereas that wasn't the case with me. Like I watched Dragonball Z when I was in that age group, and I liked it okay, wasn't my favourite thing but I was into it, but I lost interest in it when I got a bit older, because that stuff and shonen in general catered to teens and I wasn't one by that point. I don't feel particularly there's anything wrong with liking that stuff when you're that age, but I don't really get the 20+ year olds that still care about it. 

I know, I've also edited mine - I don't really agree about the anime side of things though, but everything else was spot on.

@seed I'd be interested in hearing what things make you say that, maybe it would be helpful for me, but I've really not seen anything worth my time outside of Devilman Crybaby in years. 

And well, yeah overall in terms of the social, moral and living standard situations, that stuff, yeah I wouldn't complain about that, I think we're fortunate, but, social media is something that is questionable because I think it can and has impacted badly on a lot of people's mental health among other things. I stayed out of it, and I think there's a lot of people on it who probably would be far better off if they left it. 

2 minutes ago, kokrean said:

new bethesda dooms are weird, Doom classics are gold.

For real, even though they share the same name, they probably shouldn't be compared like this as they have vast differences. I personally don't enjoy modern games as much, but still I would say Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal are 2 well designed games.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Like I said, it would have been even rougher for most of us if it was a different period, say 1960s or 1980s in particular in my country, no thanks, the '80s were the worst of our entire Communist regime.

Yes, totally agreed.

Go ask the older generations what they think about music,movies and games. They will tell you the exact same "this is shit, back in our days we had better X". And their parents said the exact same. Grumpy old people are so boring and predictable. 

21 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I think OP probably just looked at the Internet and said that without actually living in the 80s or 90s (I guess as the title).

Your case is helped by the fact that this flood of "new thing bad, old thing good" and "grr Bethesda sux long live classic Doom" posts as of late, such as this one, is coming from accounts that are a few weeks or months old, and not old accounts belonging to long-time Doom players like you might expect from posts of this nature. Feels less like grumpy old guys and more like those "wrong generation" 13-16 year olds you find on Youtube comments or whatever.

3 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Go ask the older generations what they think about music,movies and games. They will tell you the exact same "this is shit, back in our days we had better X". And their parents said the exact same. Grumpy old people are so boring and predictable. 

Perhaps however if you actually looked at what they liked, maybe they had a point? Most of the movies I really love were technically before my generation, and I didn't see most of them until I was an adult. I think the problem is both sides being too stubborn, not just one side. 

Ugh. Dunno why I would've expected a critique of "THE DISCOURSE" instead of a 15 year old music video and some meme compilations.

You got me, I guess.