Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dukeinator2000

Am I the only one who thought the doom community was better before eternal came out?

Community was great in it's early days but maybe 2004-2010 it went downhill a bit (Terry wads, etc). In recent years but it has gradually gotten better.

Early days of the Doom community was pretty shit though. I didn't have internet, so if THAT GUY at school (you know the guy if you're in the right age range) started talking bullshit about secret bosses or items that don't exist in Doom at all, I couldn't tell if he was lying or not - because I wasn't very good at Doom, I couldn't look up the Doom Wiki and well, you're a 6 year old kid, you'll believe anything.

Someone should do some "academic" research into schoolyard Doom bullshit.

…yeah, sounds like you’re describing a Reddit thing, not a Doom community thing.

Besides, phenomena like this isn’t new. Back when 2016 was new, you had memes like “BFG Division in every single thing” and “RESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLVE”.

Think in more positive way. Surely Eternal also brought some new friends here that are actually interested in older DOOM games as well.

Please can we stop with the "New doom fans bad" posts before this turns into a reddit-style circlejerk?

You and the other 1000 persons before you, they're there having fun and you're here blaming others for your problems :P

Just don't go there, problem solved. Talk about first world problems

6 hours ago, sluggard said:

You and the other 1000 persons before you, they're there having fun and you're here blaming others for your problems :P

Just don't go there, problem solved. Talk about first world problems

Don't you mean... First Doomworld problems? :P

I feel like Dukeinator was expecting everyone to be like, "Yeah, I totally agree," and then everyone just decided to tell him that he was wrong. I find it so funny when that stuff happens.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:11 PM, Zulk RS said:

Don't you mean... First Doomworld problems? :P

Heh :P

Edited by sluggard

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I feel like Dukeinator was expecting everyone to be like, "Yeah, I totally agree," and then everyone just decided to tell him that he was wrong. I find it so funny when that stuff happens.

Eh, I didn't expect anything when I made this post, but seeing it now I notice how much of an asshole I came off as, I don't wanna hate on the new doom fans, they have their fun and I have mine

37 minutes ago, Dukeinator2000 said:

Eh, I didn't expect anything when I made this post, but seeing it now I notice how much of an asshole I came off as, I don't wanna hate on the new doom fans, they have their fun and I have mine

I don't think you're an asshole, I just thought it was funny that the topic flipped around. Sorry if I was being mean earlier. 

2 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I don't think you're an asshole, I just thought it was funny that the topic flipped around. Sorry if I was being mean earlier. 

Yeah I can see that, you weren't being mean, every reply was justified in saying how this thread is shit

OP what you're describing are baby Zoomer Doomers that frequent Reddit past their bedtime.  DoomWorld is where the adults consolidate.

2 hours ago, Dukeinator2000 said:

Yeah I can see that, you weren't being mean, every reply was justified in saying how this thread is shit

We just had a thread almost identical to this a week ago, and I think a lot of us were glad it finally got buried, so pardon us if we're a little frustrated. Not your fault, it's just...it's just a little exhausting at this point.

3 hours ago, STILES said:

OP what you're describing are baby Zoomer Doomers that frequent Reddit past their bedtime.  DoomWorld is where the adults consolidate.

I dunno I'm a reddit Gen-Z'er and I still like it here.

r/Doom may be cringy or whatever but Reddit is still fun. Just ignore em.

33 minutes ago, MassiveEdgelord said:

I dunno I'm a reddit Gen-Z'er and I still like it here.

r/Doom may be cringy or whatever but Reddit is still fun. Just ignore em.

The post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek

It's pretty obvious from many of the posts on there (those crude drawing pictures in particular) that some of the audience is <= 13 years of age and shouldn't even own the game, hence "baby" Zoomer Doomer and not "almost or at adult" Zoomer Doomer as in what I'm assuming is your case from your GG Allin avatar. 

5 minutes ago, STILES said:

The post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek

It's pretty obvious from many of the posts on there (those crude drawing pictures in particular) that some of the audience is <= 13 years of age and shouldn't even own the game, hence "baby" Zoomer Doomer and not "almost or at adult" Zoomer Doomer as in what I'm assuming is your case from your GG Allin avatar. 

Ok sorry.

Whenever i think of new Doom fans making the same jokes/memes, i assume it has something to do with the games themselves (or the marketing), since they do have their own set of easter eggs and nods to very popular aspects of Doom history (E1M1, Daisy, BFG Divison) and even Doom related memes. (some of said elements being referenced too much, as if Doom had a limited universe)

Not just Doot or the Doom comic phrases, but even the mere idea of Doomguy being the most powerfull character was something of a meme in itself too, since like one or two 4chan posts in 2008/9 and maybe Brutal Doom, the comic and even Death Battle i guess. (otherwise, Doom was the kind of game whose setting inspired Half Life and you had Doomguy's corpse in DN3D, so this whole Doomguy treated like Chuck Norris thing is recent from at least the early 2010's)

I also feel like a lot of recent fans are likely to show trends related to modern gamer/nerd culture.

Most noticeably the more "consumer" heavy aspects.

I mean, Slayer's Club sort of makes it clear that ZeniMax wants the Doom fanbase in itself to be a marketable trait or part of the marketing.

Chances are they love when fans do memes because it's like if they were automatically promoting Doom, whether or not these fans are even aware.

Because otherwise, a reason to get new people into Doom is if they look at genuinely cool, if not important stuff like source ports, mods, fansites, wikis etc and see if they can carry these legacies.

Because source port devs, modders, mappers, hosters of certain sites etc don't last forever so you'd need a post-mortem plan or a next generation to carry the many torches.

Similar to other fanbases with guides, patches, mods, fan translations of old games, roms, rom hacks, fangames, works for accessibility etc

Basically, the real reason why Doom is Eternal.

Like, the Doom 64 port we recieved came from a history of fan ports that would normally be considered illegal.

For a similar reason, there's also if some older fans just stop caring or drop interest, which means besides worrying about the new generation, you also have the old one to see if they can still keep the train going.

For what we know, some people are in it because Doom is trendy but there will be some genuinely interested in the games and eventually the fanbase and legacy beyond the games.

So it can't be just the modern age fan types that look like a Redlettermedia joke in real life.

With Reddit specifically, it may seem like a punching bag and a recurring joke but there are times when it can get really weird.

Like with most sites, some people hate when Twitter, Youtube or even Tumblr and even 4chan have terrible people in it or some features/updates that make the site worse, so some people are aware of problems or make fun of/hate a platform.

I barely see Reddittors making fun of their site/community, as if the cringy/weird aspects of it are somewhat embraced heavily, sometimes probably enabled by corporate giants, even if this sounds like a conspiracy theory.

I remember hearing there were some subreddits making fun of Reddit associated stuff that eventually were deleted like some making fun of Funko Pops. (although i remember hearing it could have been something more specific and not so related but still)

I even have a theory that, where most sites have people wanting to use a chronological timeline for content (and hate it when sites disorganize the stuff), Reddit always goes with the "top" stuff because of the upvote system.

So it's like a contrast to an older internet that felt more free but like the wild west vs the more commercial one that feels like a cyberpunk dystopia with an "wholesome" layer to cover most of it.

Sounds crazy to bring this up, though.

On 9/9/2020 at 2:08 AM, CyberDestroyer said:

The doom community was once a fine sheet of glass, 

Then it was dropped.

Its now shattered into many pieces

What is that a haiku?

4 hours ago, bfredric said:

What is that a haiku?

No, a Haiku has like 17 syllables in the pattern 5,7,5. If it was a haiku, it would be:

Doom Community,
is like a glass that was dropped.

Once whole, now shattered.

Edited by Zulk RS

I totally agree with you. I'm not an 'elitist' by any means, but I'm not a fan of the modern Doom community either. Also there's nothing wrong with this post, we should express our thoughts. You never know what will happen and you might regret doing otherwise.

Plus it seems like you can't make a post like this without looking like an 'elitist', so I wouldn't worry about anything. At the end of the day you're clearly not trying to hurt anyone. As for the post-BD/2016/Eternal Doom community, I think we all know how it goes. These modernized iterations of Doom attract a certain audience, which tends to behave differently.

It's great to have some fresh enthusiasts out here, but I can definitely see, how some people can get annoyed with these guys and gals. Anyways, things change and we all have to adapt somehow. There's nothing we can do about this, so I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy the part of this culture, that you like the most.

I actually loved the fact that the newer Doom titles have made reference to classic Doom- they've definitely not forgotten their roots, and it gives the modern Doom fans a frame of reference to ask questions about classic Doom and learn about it. Admittedly I've been mostly a creature of old-school habits but we're quite lucky to have such a fanbase still because of the way that the Doom franchise has been kept going all these years. There's renewed interest in it every time a new game comes out and it's a blessing imo.
Reddit is just straight up cancer, I've never paid attention to that side of the community for good reason. This community and the Doom communities on Discord in particular have remained steadfast and generally good as long as I've been in it and that's what matters to me.

TL;DR doom community is still good, let em rip and tear and listen to bfg division :3

2 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

I actually loved the fact that the newer Doom titles have made reference to classic Doom- they've definitely not forgotten their roots

Imagine a new franchise. Like Harry Potter. When such a series is complete, you will often still get fans making fan stories based in that universe. Because they want more. Or because they didn't like some resolutions. Fanmade stuff is mostly bad, or hellbent to make a minor issue a major plot point, or shifting focus of the story to whatever took their author's fancy in the original series. Or any combination of all above.

Current game companies rehashing past successes are like fans. They're not the original guys, but fans gone professional. This is true for Blizzard and Diablo3,and it's true for id Software and Doom2016. They're like fan stories, separated from the original by a great many years and foggy partial memories.

While I recently got into the game (circa late august of 2017) I already knew Doom because my uncle's a big fan and also the one who introduced me to the game but tbh the OG community has it's own charm that the new one, which I'm part of, doesn't have i dunno why but the Slayers Club feels too much ''corporated'' if that makes sense, and the subreddit has something that I really can't explain, maybe it's because I'm not into internet culture so that's why I haven't liked the crossover with Animal Crossing or I cringe when i see the crossover with that cartoon about the demon hotel. So yeah i kinda prefer the this community than the modern one while as for the games i have no real preference

7 hours ago, Mordeth said:

They're like fan stories, separated from the original by a great many years and foggy partial memories.

Doesn't mean that these games are unable to at least remember their roots.

Regardless if you think they are just "fans" the content that was released still has clear inspiration from the original. Being made by "fans" doesnt make it anymore better or worse.

In the case of Diablo 3 the "fans" were more concerned about making WoW than making Diablo. While the new id team still knew the essence of Fast Paced action, monster and and weapon variety that  classic doom has.

Edited by jazzmaster9

If you want to see the epitome of Doom community cringe, go to the Youtube comments of any song from Doom 2016 or Eternal. They're all in that dumb "blank: does thing. Doomslayer: manly thing" format.

4 hours ago, N1ck said:

If you want to see the epitome of Doom community cringe, go to the Youtube comments of any song from Doom 2016 or Eternal. They're all in that dumb "blank: does thing. Doomslayer: manly thing" format.

Ikr, it was funny the first time, but its the same 10 memes over and over, gets really annoying

"YOU CAN'T JUST RUN A MEME INTO THE GROUND AND MAKE IT UNFUNNY"

Objective: Run this meme into the ground