Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

It's time to talk seriously about the state of the boomer shooter renaissance and what it entails.

I think you’re taking this whole thing a little too personally, and if you got all these revelations based on a twitter post then there’s no argument to be had from me. Also, I don’t know you or your friend, so do I just take your word for it on all that you said? I don’t even care anyways but since I’m here... Everyone has a skeleton in their closet, at least one, and if this is honestly what you are concerned about with all that’s going on in the world right now... then I am truly envious. 

Garbage people exist, this isn't a new phenomenon. Keep calm, play games and ignore/ban toxic assholes. I mean, we've long established that we don't care for that kind of behaviour here at Doomworld, so I'm not concerned about some kind of "infiltration" as you seem to be implying, MoD. 

I think that people are kind of taking the wrong message from your post, which isn't that toxic people become part of communities, but that when they become revered creators then the community as a whole is in danger. I don't really know what to do about that though.

Don't really have anything to add other than that I feel your pain. I know who you're talking about with the OSR people, I sort of follow that scene. That guy did a lot of damage to a lot of people, and it's sad that he was a figurehead of that scene for so long.

If you don't mind me asking, how is your friend doing? I haven't heard anything about her in a while. (Feel free to respond by private message, or just ask me to delete this part.)

@Gerolf I can confirm for what Man of Doom was saying, and that there's a reason he and I are being a little bit vague about it. I don't know her personally at all, just from things that happened in the OSR community. We're not trying to be coy, but there are certain people and groups who's attention might bring in all sorts of concern trolls and harassment.

Edited by plums

TL;DR

IMO, if anything, the current boom of boomer-shooters is probably going to die down within about 2-3 years for the exact same reasons as in the past. I'm real glad to see more of 'em, but someday you're gonna have to pull the lever.

Well if you guys succumb to a social media-style moral panic and start purging people, at least there'll be good material for Community is Falling 4. I've seen it happen enough times that I can probably help out if it doesn't take off.

The boomer shooter scene is still in its infancy. The last thing it needs is divisive culture war BS getting in on the ground floor. People sometimes have shit opinions. Mobs ALWAYS have shit opinions. NEVER engage with the mob, either for or against, regardless of what they say. The Block button exists for a reason.

Oh, and get off Twitter. That goes for everyone.

Dont let any reactionary CHUDS (here or elsewhere) get you down and don't give any of their thin veneers of plausible deniability an ounce of legitimacy.

They would rather let this scene/community (or any other) stagnate and calcify than diversify or reckon with outmoded toxic behavior and worldviews

You are completely in the right for feeling that way. 

Solidarity comrade 

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If someone makes a habit out of cunty behaviour, they tend to be removed, at least here.

Going a bit off-topic here, but thats one of the reasons I love DW so much. This site is very scrutinized, in the good sense, and sure, some have protested against its policies about it being too authoritarian and such, but I personally like how clean, friendly and chill this place is. Just hang out in well-kept places like ours, and everything will be alright, no assholes to find!

I'm so sorry to hear all this, and I'm not at all surprised.

My first taste of this was when I stumbled onto a youtuber called RPGPundit who uses his role in the OSR industry as a pretense to make long reactionary rants. I'd like to wade in and push back against the toxic culture in a patient and reasonable way, but if I'm honest with myself I'm not really a TTRPG player anymore (I'm a wargamer), so I don't feel qualified to argue in this sphere.

I think narratives about the past always have this dual quality. Look at the cover art for Great Battles of Alexander. It's a positive, neutral depiction of a Persian and a Spartan as equal, competent counterparts. We could have a whole conversation about 300, but in short I think it's clearly a modern Starship Troopers; but for many fans it's an unironic affirmation of white supremacy. People with both outlooks are inevitably always going to be interacting, and I think you just have to be always on your guard, and always trying to push back against reactionary aggression.

Look at Doomworld. I'm always afraid that a reactionary element will creep in here, but when someone comes along who says Doom is an example of how great videogames were before they were ruined by inclusion and human decency, the community responds with zero tolerance. I think we just need people to keep working to nurture the decent side of OSR.

1 hour ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

Dont let any reactionary CHUDS

Off topic to the point of being questionable, but I didn't know Chud was a acronym until just now. Anyway....

I do think DW is probably the best place to bring this up, being probably one of the biggest, oldest, and most importantly moderatoredest gathering points for people interested in retro shooters (tho theres very little build discussion, but thats fine because its Doomworld) and that this is an important thing to bring up, honestly. Old school shooters draw an old school crowd, and some things are better left in the 90's.

5 minutes ago, Error-404 said:

Off topic to the point of being questionable, but I didn't know Chud was a acronym until just now. Anyway....

I do think DW is probably the best place to bring this up, being probably one of the biggest, oldest, and most importantly moderatoredest gathering points for people interested in retro shooters (tho theres very little build discussion, but thats fine because its Doomworld) and that this is an important thing to bring up, honestly. Old school shooters draw an old school crowd, and some things are better left in the 90's.

Dont how that is off topic when the OP is specifically talking about people with reactionary views negatively affecting a community (TTRPG and Retro FPS in particular) and "chud' is what those people are referred to as. 

that being said, yes some things are better left in the 90s. we are in full agreement there.

Just now, Ajora said:

The only thing that should be left in the 90s is nu-metal. 

I thought that was an early-2000s thing. Have I misremembered?

4 minutes ago, NoXion said:

I thought that was an early-2000s thing. Have I misremembered?

Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Papa Roach, and Powerman 5000 all debuted in the 90s. 

Just now, Ajora said:

Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Papa Roach, and Powerman 5000 all debuted in the 90s. 

Well fuck me, that's another trend I was late for.

I had to revise this post (i.e. completely start over) quite a lot as it kept ending up rather angry; let's hope this time it comes out better.

I think Plums' post was a good addition to the initial one. It's extremely important to not let shitheads become too well-rooted and important in a community before anything can be done about them *coughs*.

Realms Deep definitely was somewhat offputting, having seen a game made by peers platformed alongside one by a neo-nazi.

I sincerely hope that the current revival of retro-style shooters doesn't become infested with shitheads. I certainly have 0 plans on purchasing any games by hateful sorts, and want to see the scene unwelcoming to the unwelcoming.

3 hours ago, DSC said:

Going a bit off-topic here, but thats one of the reasons I love DW so much. This site is very scrutinized, in the good sense, and sure, some have protested against its policies about it being too authoritarian and such, but I personally like how clean, friendly and chill this place is. Just hang out in well-kept places like ours, and everything will be alright, no assholes to find!

Compared to what other communities turned into, yeah, with all its flaws it's still light years ahead, clean, and sane, despite the occasional drama, drama stirred up for stupid reasons no less...

At any rate, toxicity and people having nothing but that to share shouldn't be welcomed, let alone encouraged, that's one way to ensure no-one will ever want to be part of it, and a safe way to ensure it will gradually rot from within. Rotten apples are found everywhere but that doesn't mean they have to spread.

Edited by seed

And now that I think of it, the term "boomer shooter" is a complete misnomer, I'm very sure boomers weren't the ones playing Doom and Quake back in the 90's...

3 minutes ago, DSC said:

And now that I think of it, the term "boomer shooter" is a complete misnomer, I'm very sure boomers weren't the ones playing Doom and Quake back in the 90's...

*Jim Flynn, Ty Halderman, John Anderson...*

Actually, when you look at the first people digging into Doom's codebase and modding abilities...

4 minutes ago, DSC said:

No, but that's the inevitable problem that shows up with old games, the perception of the intellectually lazy and misinformed who think that they're really only played by old people or people who were already well into adulthood when they came out, as a result also people "who refuse to move on", no way new generations and younger people would be interested in "relics from the distant past".

I don't know whether this is the correct place to ask. What does Boomer actually mean?

As I searched the term, it refers to the baby Boomer generations who were born in around 1945 ~ 1965. However, recently, there are quite a few people call themselves a Boomer even though they are just around 30. Is that a sarcastic joke to himself about being outdated or something?