Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Some questions from a newcomer

Ive played doom since 1995 but never got involved with any online stuff..

so.

1) What are the most popular level review sites?
2) What port do most people use?
3) If I release a map, should it be doom 1 or 2, or either? I preffer doom1 but maybe most people play only doom2.
4) I could swear i had a 4th question :(
5) If I release a map which isnt based on any code from a port, will it still work on say, zdoom etc.. ?

1) Doomworld has a level review site for new stuff.
2) ZDoom or Legacy. The most popular seems to be ZDoom (which is what I use), but I also have about 10 other ports on my computer.
3) It should probably be Doom II because more people play it and have it. There are more monsters and people enjoy the SSG. I've found that Doom II levels are more popular. If it's Ultimate Doom, people usually complain that it would have been better if it was made for Doom II and had more monsters and a SSG.
4) You should think harder.

And welcome to doomworld. =)

1) besides the (almost) weekly Newstuff there are following Good review sites. Only Doom Underground has been updated recently though.

Doom Underground: doomworld.com/d_underg/

Team Insanity: doomworld.com/insanity/

Metabolist's site: doomworld.com/metabolist/

Sir Robin's Castle: doomworld.com/sir_robin/

5) Yes, all doom ports can run maps for original Doom.

1) What are the most popular level review sites?
2) What port do most people use?
3) If I release a map, should it be doom 1 or 2, or either? I preffer doom1 but maybe most people play only doom2.
4) I could swear i had a 4th question :(
5) If I release a map which isnt based on any code from a port, will it still work on say, zdoom etc.. ?

1.)I was kind of disappointed that my site wasn't included yet in the answer for your first question, so here it is: Doom Wad Station at http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/main
Maybe its the fact that my site was off the net for over a year. hmmm...
2.)Zdoom, Legacy, Edge and Jdoom seem to be the most popular ports.
They all have their benefits and drawbacks - I'm currently experimenting with Jdoom cuz it looks so cool.... Here's a good example: http://www.doomwadstation.suhost.com/descent.html
3.)Most people play Doom2
4.)YES!

HAVE FUN and welcome to the doom community

1) The /newstuff chronicles here on Doomworld.
2) ZDoom, Legacy and jDoom are probably the most popular.
3) It's entirely up to you. DooM 2 has better monsters and hence the potential for better gameplay, but if you prefer DooM 1 then make a map for DooM 1.
(that's what I've been doing for the past few months)
4) There is no question 4.
5) Yes. (but using OpenGL ports may require the building of GL nodes for those maps)

2)It depends upon how 'seriously' you play and how important added features over the original (vanilla) are.
If you're a serious player and prefer the pure gameplay of vanilla, then PRBoom is the one to go for, plays most vanilla demos too.
Legacy occupies the middle ground in that it still has a reasonable vanilla feel but has a lot of 'new' features as regards editing. It's a very practical and easy to use port, good for demo recording.
ZDoom has many great features as regards editing, it looks great too, however it's feel is quite remote to vanilla in many peoples' opinions (still very playable though).
I use all three for different things.
More ports here btw.

Ive only used 2 ports.

Zdoom and PRBoom

I must say I prefer prboom much more. It's a bit more simple and closer to the origional doom and has several good new features.

zdoom is a bit much I think :/
while it's nice to have all the new editing features, it means that you can only the maps with Zdoom only.. or maybe im wrong.

The reasons i'd rather map for doom instead of doom2 is because the sky textures in doom2 suck and have little atmosphere.. those phobos mountains in ep1 of doom just rock. Also Some textures arent availible in doom2 that were availible in doom1.

Owned. Ultimate Doom forever. Doom 2 and all it's extra crap (save, say, the SSG, the commandos, and the Arch-Vile) can rot for all I care.

KennyJC said:

Ive only used 2 ports.

Zdoom and PRBoom

I must say I prefer prboom much more. It's a bit more simple and closer to the origional doom and has several good new features.

zdoom is a bit much I think :/
while it's nice to have all the new editing features, it means that you can only the maps with Zdoom only.. or maybe im wrong.

The reasons i'd rather map for doom instead of doom2 is because the sky textures in doom2 suck and have little atmosphere.. those phobos mountains in ep1 of doom just rock. Also Some textures arent availible in doom2 that were availible in doom1.

Good choice, PRBoom is excellent and as you say very close to the original in 'feel'.
You can use the textures from Doom1 in Doom2 and vice versa, same with the skys (once you get a little editing skill). I have to agree, the textures and skys in Doom1 overall are superior to Doom2, hence in my last map for Doom2 I used the 'Inferno' sky (Tough & playable PRBoom btw).