Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

Do you guys even lift?

I used to lift loads of heavy shit like concrete and timber at my old job. I was working 40+ hours every week at the time, now I'm a lowly part-time till operator.. My body has definitely suffered for it. Old job used to hurt my back but at least I was getting a good workout each day. This thread has inspired me to do some lifting again, don't wanna be a noodle arm.

19 minutes ago, Linguica said:

I used to love to go to the gym before coronavirus. Now I am a weak baby and it sucks.

There's a certain charm about Ling appearing out of nowhere and commenting on a random thread lol. The pictures from the Doomworld meeting at QuakeCON show that you have some glorious biceps, if I may say so.

I'm on the same boat thanks to good-old-fucking-coronavirus.

I was going to the gym like crazy before COVID. The owner couldn't afford to keep it closed, so he shut the doors and put it up for sale. A childhood friend bought the place in August, and he's giving it a much needed makeover. Just got a new car yesterday, and start my new job tomorrow. Got a membership and plan on getting back into the swing of things very soon.

Ha imagine going to the gym. Just have an ex-small time powerlifter father whos turned half of a basement into a gym

And yes I use it today is shoulders and back which is worse than leg day cant wait (Clean & press makes it worse)

I never did any kind of workout, aside from when i was at school, but i'm not fat at all (my weight is 76 kg, and i'm 1,78 mts tall).
I had to do a lot of walking on my job, and go up and down many times some stairs, so even if i don't workout, my body is in good shape.
I'm not in form to go to the olympics, but i don't feel bad when i had to run the bus, or lift some heavy things, i just do it without problem, maybe sweating a little.

When i was younger i was rather thin and i thought that having a better looking body would attract women.
And it did it, but those women attracted by my body were really superficial, dull and really boring.
I wanted a different kind of woman to be at my side.
Smart, funny, and one that had a lot to talk about.

Thanks god my wife hit me in the head whenever i start dreaming that woman.

:P

I don't lift, but I'm currently trying to be more consistent on exercising. I'm the type of guy who usually has a very certain passion for a very short time, then just get burned out after constantly fulfilling it, usually never to revisit the passion until a certain time (this applies to my activities in this fandom too).

Used to go everyday, coronavirus really got me hard. I gained 6 quilos (15 pounds) since march.
Trying to keep it at home. I developed a basic home workout so at least I won't suffer of muscle atrophy.

This is my workout in case anyone is interested. You could try to adapt the exercises to a density that could work for you. It's an ABC workout, which means it's divided by 3 days, each day training different groups so each muscle group has two days of rest.

Day A (Chest and Triceps)
- About 150 pushups divided in sets of 20 to 40.
- About 80 dips with legs elevated divided in sets of 20 to 30

Day B (Biceps and Back muscles)
- 20 pullups (my first set is about 10, then it goes geting slower
- Biceps curls in several ways with training resistance bands. Until I get tired.

Day C (Legs, Cardio, and Shoulders)
- Several shoulder resistance bands exercises.
- About 40 minutes to one hour of bicycle riding around the neighborhood on the heaviest gear.

I would seriously advice everyone to not fall for the trap of just ordering food all the time. Not only you will waste lots of money, you will gain a lot of weight. Just learn how to do filling stews. It really takes zero cooking skills and it's healthier and cheaper. Just throw stuff like potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, pieces of chicken or fish in a pot, add salt and some seasoning, and let it cook.

I don't lift, but I run and do core regularly. However, it's been hard to keep up a regimen because my semester is killing me with work.

realized a couple of months ago I really needed to get in shape, so I hit the floor. I figured, ah, probably couldn't do any proper pushups, but I'll grind out until I can do some.

Nah, I ground out a couple sets of 7-8, so I'm not quite as heavy or quite as not strong as I thought I was, but I've been keeping up with exercises over the following months. Been pretty productive, it feels great.

1 minute ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I might as well post my workout routine, it seems as you do it without weights. Cant say so myself (cant remember all the reps and weights and im too lazy to go check so ill post the exercises):

Spoiler

Chest & abs day:

- Bench Press 

- Crunches

- Dumbbell flyes

- Leg raises at around a 45 degree angle

- Incline dumbbell bench

Leg & arm day

- Squats with barbell (Either on the shoulders or zerker style whatever im feeling)

- Curls with barbell

- Calf raises

- Dumbbell tricep extensions (one handed)

- Standing deadlift

Shoulder and back day

- Clean & Press (The bane of my existence)

- Bent over rows

- Standing rows

- Assisted wide grip pullups

- Lateral Raises

9 minutes ago, nue said:

it seems as you do it without weights.

Reveal hidden contents

Chest & abs day:

- Bench Press 

- Crunches

- Dumbbell flyes

- Leg raises at around a 45 degree angle

- Incline dumbbell bench

Leg & arm day

- Squats with barbell (Either on the shoulders or zerker style whatever im feeling)

- Curls with barbell

- Calf raises

- Dumbbell tricep extensions (one handed)

- Standing deadlift

Shoulder and back day

- Clean & Press (The bane of my existence)

- Bent over rows

- Standing rows

- Assisted wide grip pullups

- Lateral Raises

Unfortunately, yes.
Weights are extremely expensive here, with a pair of 10kg dumbbells reaching $300. Considering that a month of gym membership costs $50, I would need to spend $3000 to be able to simply do benchpresses at home with the same weights I could do at the gym.

Yeah, I lift. I was at my peak strength somewhere between 6-18 months ago, depending on which lift we're talking about. My best personal records are a 500lb deadlift, a 405lb squat, 250lb bench press for 5 reps (never tried a 1 rep max for this one), and 175lb overhead press. And I'm getting weaker by the day since my gym closed again in July.

About 5 years ago I picked up a power rack off Craigslist and did Stronglifts 5x5. I managed to do it a whole year, only missing like 2 sessons. I didn't get super far, got to 5x5 squats just over 200lb (90kg), I was benching a plate (135lb, 61kg), and I managed to deadlift 300lb (136kg) once.

My squat form was horrid and my lower back started to spasm a bit near the end, I deloaded and tried again but eventually just fell off.

I tried some other programs off and on but never really stuck to one. 

I've since attained the bigfat and also moved, not having set the rack back up yet.

I joined a gym and did some weights there and was going pretty consistently. Then christmas break i lost the habit, then right as I'm ready to go back yay covid.

No, I don't lift. I prefer cycling - during summer 1500-2000km per month. No, I didn't lose weight, but I also didn't gain any since I started.

Those 10kg from my early computing years will probably never go away anymore... :(

yep, i lift. then come back home tired and have little time / incentive for gaming.

I used to but then went and got a family and my work got nuts, so I got lazy and I am kind of angry at myself for it. Currently eyeballing prices for weights so I can workout at home as well as taking up cycling again.

Ha! I absolutely did not expect this thread to actually be about lifting. I'm more accustomed to dumb jokes like, "Do you even code, Bro?" or "Are you even liberal, Bro?" or "Do you even drink coffee, Bro?"

I'm very fortunate to have a private backyard, where I use a light kettle bell for warmup/cardio, and I have some rusty old adjustable dumbbells that I bought secondhand.

Work/life balance constantly intrudes. Not just finding time, but also feeling run-down so often. I live in Brooklyn, have a day job in a cafe, a creative side gig which is basically never done, and out of respect for my wife I have to maintain a certain degree of decorum that I might otherwise allow to lapse as a single dude. It's tough to keep up, but I'm about 20-30 lbs down from my unhealthiest weight (college), and am getting some more definition in my shoulders.

It takes less than an hour to warm up and get a few different muscle groups to fatigue/failure a few times. I don't count, just put tension on the muscles until I can't anymore.

I have to say that it helps tremendously that my wife and I both love to cook.

edit: BTW I recommend looking around for used sporting goods stores. I got everything I needed for under $100. I don't care if it's a little janky.

My body it's small and i don't have really good weigth to do it (24 years, 52 KG)

But i try to take my time to run at least 20 minutes and 10 of easy run, At least 3 times a week.
Works for my Cardio i guess. 

I'm pretty much just like your brother. ~125 kg at 173 cm and really just trying to eat less. It sucks ass, my lower back is in so much pain any time I walk for more than a minute or up or down stairs due to carrying an extra ~40kg of just fat.

I have an amazing workout program available called 8 HOUR ABS!  It's available for $29.95.   Checks and Money Orders accepted!  Do it about five times a week.   It works miracles.

<Sales Mode Off (as the creator of Dehacked would say)>

I worked all through the shutdown and repeatedly lift things all day unless I'm occasionally driving a fork truck.

4 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I would seriously advice everyone to not fall for the trap of just ordering food all the time. Not only you will waste lots of money, you will gain a lot of weight. Just learn how to do filling stews. It really takes zero cooking skills and it's healthier and cheaper. Just throw stuff like potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, pieces of chicken or fish in a pot, add salt and some seasoning, and let it cook.

Definitely learned that lesson during the lockdown.  Gained about 4.5kg/10 lbs since the beginning of this year, scary how it creeps up on you like that.

Been trying to lose weight for about a month, right now I'm 86kg/190 lbs which is slightly overweight for me and want to get back down to 80kg/175 lbs.

Personally I really like calisthenics and they can be great compound movements.  Pushups/Dips/Pullups/Bridges/Planks have really been helping and are very cheap to boot.

I was really into strength training in college and for years after. Over time I fell off trying to set personal records going in and out of phases of consistent maintenance work. Luckily I managed to get some dumb bells during covid and a bench so I can have the weirdest half-assed maintenance phase of my life.

Really pushing myself in my 20s has given me a nice buffer where at ~30, a month into lifting casually again I’m maybe 70-80% back.

I personally come from direction of skinny high schooler who got to slightly larger weight through lifting (gaining weight was always the challenge). I never became big in the context of bodybuilder types though, just bigger in the context of laymen (“oh you must work out” versus impressing anyone who’s a professional).

Hey guys, wow, many great posts!

Yeah there are some things to consider:

Do you wanna look like an athlete?

Do you wanna be strong?

Do you want endurance?

Do you want to loose weight?

Do you want to gain weight?

Whatever the goal, it can be done. Depending on how much of a change you want, the amount of work may vary. 

My goal is/was to have the energy to play with and throw around the kids without being fatigued within minutes. I have to be able to do this all day. Little did I know that the wife would be sick in covid but she is so I'm handling everything at home. It's a pain in the ass of course but I wouldn't be able to make it if I was in the same shape before exercise. And considering the fact that I do not ride my bike to work now, I would probably be in extremely bad shape. 

We eat a lot of crappy food like pizza etc and if I didn't exercise I would look like a mancubi now. 

I got rid of all my back pain thanks to exercise also. 

I'm glad to read about you guys as well. 

And to you that feel that your in the same position as my brother: hey listen, you can do it. If you exercise remember to do it safe and don't start with your max, you need to warm up and learn the moves before plating that bar. And you can still eat pizza and stuff, just not several times a week but maybe 1-2 times per month. 

5 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

My body it's small and i don't have really good weigth to do it (24 years, 52 KG)

But i try to take my time to run at least 20 minutes and 10 of easy run, At least 3 times a week.
Works for my Cardio i guess. 

Hey listen, if you wanna do pushups but your body is too light for you, then you can do different types of pushups. For example a narrow grip where you put your hands together. Or the classic elevated pushup where you put your feet on a bench or whatever so more weight gets focused on the pushing.