Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrPumpkinMan712

GZdoom won't start up

GZdoom used to work fine on my laptop, but at one point i downloaded Dropbox and i wasn't paying attention to the installer and it kinda just put all my files in it. since then a lot of stuff (like GZdoom) wont work correctly. to be specific, It'll start up just fine and I'll hear the first like, three notes of the Doom 2 title theme, but after that it just closes itself. I've tried redownloading a couple times since then and it just refuses to work, I've made sure that I'm using the correct version (64 bit) but it just doesn't work.

5 hours ago, MrPumpkinMan712 said:

I'm pretty sure i have, is there anything in like the program files folder or anything like that or is it just that one folder in downloads?

I believe GZDoom unlike many other programs does not install anything elsewhere. When you download GZDoom, there is only one folder with things.

Since this involves sound, what sound engine are you using? The latest iteration of GZDoom uses ZMusic. Find a list of audio systems here.

1 hour ago, MrPumpkinMan712 said:

how do i check what sound engine I'm using?

Ok i found it it's Zmusic

That will be the likely culprit, then.

ZMusic is not a sound engine, it's a library to decode sound and music formats. GZDoom uses OpenAL as its sound engine.

Where on your computer did you install GZDoom?

Which version did you install?

Do you have an ini file in the GZDoom folder?

Do you have an iwad installed in the GZDoom folder?

When you say that it does not work, what do you see on the screen?

Provide some screenshots if you can.

Maybe there would be some useful information in the console log. You can have it output to a file by creating a file autoexec.cfg in the GZDoom folder. The contents of this file should simply be the text "logfile log.txt" (without the quotes). With this, GZDoom will output everything in the console to a file in its folder called log.txt. Check if there's anything suspicious in the log file after GZDoom closes itself, or share it here.

Ok, this is just too complex for me, It might be a one of a kind problem. and besides, I'm hoping to get a new computer in December, so I'll just start playing doom again on that. thanks for helping, but I don't really understand a lot of this.

Just extract the file to a new folder and put your wads there and don't use a system folder just something like c:\games\gzdoom

22 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

ZMusic is not a sound engine, it's a library to decode sound and music formats. GZDoom uses OpenAL as its sound engine.

I mean:

ZMusic is GZDoom's music system separated as a stand-alone music library, providing a unified interface for its components. It links with FluidSynth and integrates the following components:

It would have fooled me by phrasing.

4 hours ago, MrPumpkinMan712 said:

Ok, this is just too complex for me, It might be a one of a kind problem. and besides, I'm hoping to get a new computer in December, so I'll just start playing doom again on that. thanks for helping, but I don't really understand a lot of this.

Since you mention Dropbox, delete dropbox, delete GZDoom, redownload GZDoom, and see if that works first.

i Can't really delete dropbox, mainly because like i said, it shoved all of my files into dropbox when i downloaded it, heck it nearly gave me a heart attack because it didn't give me the notification for all the files at once, but rather like "217 files have been added, 97 files have been added, 349 files have been added" for like 30 minutes straight

7 hours ago, MrPumpkinMan712 said:

i Can't really delete dropbox, mainly because like i said, it shoved all of my files into dropbox when i downloaded it,

From which folder did it shove all of your files to Dropbox? Dropbox normally does not do this and rather asks the user which files have to be synced. Since you stated you didn't pay attention to  the installer, it is thus important to know which folder it was.

Even so, all it did was sync a folder and copying it to Dropbox (As far as i can understand). This is thus a seperate issue from GZDoom and you have two issues altogether:

• Dropbox somehow having stuffed a ton of files from a local folder (Assuming you have the free version, that will be max 5 GB)
  • GZDoom's sound not working properly.

yeah you know how you have like a "This PC" folder? which is literally everything? yeah it put that in there, so that's causing stuff like gzdoom to have a stroke. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but yeah though I'm getting a new computer (one without dropbox) so it's fine. I just wanted to see if i could get it working earlier than that, but I think it's just fucked

On 9/13/2020 at 6:37 PM, MrPumpkinMan712 said:

yeah you know how you have like a "This PC" folder? which is literally everything? yeah it put that in there, so that's causing stuff like gzdoom to have a stroke.

Its the main machine place. But if you have a free account, you can essentially remove everything since it just copied those files and then delete Dropbox out right. GZDoom does not need it anyway.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:16 PM, Redneckerz said:

I believe GZDoom unlike many other programs does not install anything elsewhere. When you download GZDoom, there is only one folder with things.

I think the modern Z-Ports (GZDoom/LZDoom) create a folder somewhere in appdata.

Only if they find that their installation directory is read only. They default to a local config on Windows if it can be written to - as has been the norm for all these old games.