Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sufferer

Catacombs beta (WAD)

I've been working on this wad on and off for roughly 4 weeks, but I wanted some outside opinions on what I have and what I should change 

-"vanilla" wad but it does not work with chocolate doom (Idk why but it just doesn't)

-there is no exit since I haven't created an area for the yellow skull key 

-for full utilization of the lighting use BrutalDoomV21 or ProjectBrutality 

catacombs.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20200909_192230.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200909_194125.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200909_192804.png

Edited by Sufferer

Hmm, quite a few things to say.

-You can create a placeholder exit near the arena of yellow skull key, with the area itself being blocked off to indicate that the map is still being worked on.

-The lighting is a bit too dark and I don't know why do you need to use gameplay mods to enhance it. I would suggest setting the general brightness to 172 and apply gradient lighting to things like torches.

-The gameplay is fine in general, though the dark lighting severely damages it - I found it hard to spot imps initially. Also, the action could be a bit more dynamic. The sergeants could start making their appearance behind the red key pickup. Cacos could start spawning in after you pick up the red key, it makes things more intense, you have more places to keep your eye on than the ledges. The area after the red door should have less zombiemen, they could easily infight themselves which might make the encounter too easy. 1 shell box is probably enough.

-The lowest platform should damages you. The way to get out is not hard after all.

-Your map probably can't run under vanilla due to visplane overflowing.

As a sidenote, play more wads and take notes of their visual design and how they approach combat and item placement in general - I'm sensing potential here.

I can't say I enjoy the idea of playing an unfinished map, but what's here is all right. I have to agree with Noob that the lack of lighting doesn't really add all that much to the map. What little progression is available is straightforward, if a little on the predictable side and the combat is fine, though a little run-of-the-mill. It's not a shabby effort, but there's also not a great deal to say because of it being in an unfinished state. There were a couple of fun moments, so keep practicing.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/739353118

Playtesting starts at 3:25:18.

There isn't any yellow skull key on the map that has no exit tied to it; there was a BLUE skull key though. Needed some different atmospheric music other than D_RUNNIN. Was an alright map otherwise, with some good visual details.