Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 128 kb mapping extragavanza "challenge"*

Hey E1 peeps... Was anyone else going for an early-ish slot? I randomly picked e1m2 just so I didn't have to listen to the m1 music, but now I find myself tailoring my map to fit that slot/soundtrack. I could certainly beef up the action if the map needs to be later in the episode but if others are keeping it hot then I'm happy to stay in the early zone...

A pic from a WIP E2M7 map. Not sure how I'll call it. I am looking to make a Downtown-esque exploratory map, where you run away from enemies because you lack weapons. So you have to find them.

128_0.png.769b50ba809ce2882e0d9b787d326ea2.png

Speaking of which, I'd like to have the e4m7 slot  if it isn't already taken, for the same reason since I won't be able to afford a custom midi track.

Also, do we have to add our own automap and intermission names or will you be assigning the proper names when merging the wads?

Edited by Iacobus

13 hours ago, Iacobus said:

Also, do we have to add our own automap and intermission names or will you be assigning the proper names when merging the wads?

It will be done when all the wads are merged.

Hi all, I made one last round of minor changes to my submission. Unless something totally broken is discovered, please consider this the final version. I had a good time making this so if there's a free slot left over near the deadline I might do another map.

Download (E4M1)

Changes

-finished implementing difficulties. UV still has room to be much harder, but I don't see any reason to make it too punishing. HNTR should be beatable by anyone with hands.

-changed geometry and resource placement in cross arena to hopefully make it less campable and encourage movement

-raising pillars to soul sphere now at last change floor flat

-changes to small details of lighting and geometry

-probably other small things

Finished E2M5 and E3M8! For E2M5 I was trying to go for kind of a "Hidden Laboratory Where Cyberdemon Is Created" kind of vibe, while for E3M8 I wanted to make a level that goes along with the music. Instead of sharing dumb pictures, I instead have a video of me playing E2M5 and dying like a moron. (Hey this will give this mapping extragavanza some publicity too)

Also here's the download, just put it up on MediaFire out of convenience I guess. http://www.mediafire.com/file/n97wwrr4cqap28z/128kbEntry.wad/file

Thanks! Your map have any title or "The lab where the cyberdemon is created" is the official title?

Played your maps and they are cool, especially E3M8 is the most sadistic of the levels you made. E2M5 is the one that needs more changes, mostly add more ammo in the map and make some minor details like putting a little bit out these walls and change the vertices position to make the cave a little bit more organic instead of being fully rectangular. Also, where is the secret exit? I'll have to check it out

Also i was thinking to cross-posting this challenge, or creating a simple discord server for grabbing more people in it...

Edited by Walter confetti

I need feedback on the yellow key fight and the whole area leading to the blue key. Please record a .lmp if you play this map.

Name:

Difficulty: Tested and balanced on all difficulties exept nightmare which i never do.

Slot: currently e1m1

Music: Precipice.mid by alphonzo

Tested: prboom-plus

@Walter confetti  i guess...

e1- v2 included the warimp .deh/.wad plus fixed a tiny texture error.

nh_128kbmapV2.7z

Edited by NeedHealth

26 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

I need feedback on the yellow key fight and the whole area leading to the blue key. Please record a .lmp if you play this map.

Name:

Difficulty: Tested and balanced on all difficulties exept nightmare which i never do.

Slot: currently e1m1

Music: Precipice.mid by alphonzo

Tested: prboom-plus

nh_128kbmap.7z

fda_nh_128kbmap_01.zip

The  former sergeant after the blue key was a bit too much...

34 minutes ago, Iacobus said:

fda_nh_128kbmap_01.zip

The  former sergeant after the blue key was a bit too much...

Thanks for playing! I forgot to include the warimp .deh and .wad so i updated the map . also fixed a tiny texture error you looked at.

Excelent map. Loved all the fights. The corky and abstract design made me feel disoriented but it's a good thing for what you're going for here. I recall getting caught in the geometry and decos a few times, as you can see in the demos, but it wasn't a big deal. I think it could do with a little less health if you want to push the difficulty further but it's perfectly fine the way it is imo. Also, ammo seems to be in perfect balance. Great job!

That was a blind one, here's a full run in case you want to see how I dealt with the setups knowing whats coming. 

nh_128kbmap_02.zip (GlBoom 2.5)

9 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

I forgot to include the warimp .deh and .wad so i updated the map . also fixed a tiny texture error you looked at.

Don't tell me there was supposed to be war imps in the pit with the Baron and Cacos... oof lol

My map is here.

128kb_recluse_rc1.zip

Name: Recluse 

IWAD: Ultimate Doom

Map Slot: E4M8

Format: Boom 

Difficulty Settings: Yes

I apologize for not mentioning that I was doing E4M8. Originally the map was supposed to look like a spider but I found it too creatively stifling. You can still kind of see the original shape though. Aside from that my goal with this map was to force myself to use non orthogonal geometry and I think it worked out well.  

Thanks for the maps guys, I'll add them to the map list. Maybe I'll take a look at them this noon, maybe later.

Also, finally a map that uses the War Imp!

My map is (almost) finished -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vg7kc4cpgq0cona/InsineratorV1.wad?dl=0

Map Name : Insinerator
Map Slot : E3M2 (Happy to change to suit others)
Size : 126 kb
Format : Boom

Tested ports: GZDoom
Difficulty Settings : Yes

The map is in a finished state gameplay wise, but it refuses to work in PRBoom+. I have triple checked and it is in Boom format, but it throws up the error message "I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11" on start-up. Looking online one cause is having png images not in Doom format, but again I checked and that's not the problem. If anyone has encountered and solved this issue before, any help would be greatly appreciated!

On the bright side, attempted troubleshooting did force me to go back and remove unused textures which frees up another 2 kb for future revisions.

Edited by Weird Sandwich

Did you add a new dehacked thing, maybe? This problem happened as well in other projects (Cyb's freakin colonoscopy and in Rowdy Rudy 2 too, i think) and one of the reason is for some broken dehacked stuff iirc

Anyway, added your map to the list!

No dehacked stuff, but I did add a custom animated texture which is why I thought it could be the png problem at first. Must be something wrong with the ANIMATED lump but not sure what.

Name: The Unearthed Wrath (alt. name in mapinfo for GzDoom users)
Slot: E4M7 (still on E4M1 for convinience until final version)
Difficulty settings: semi-implemented for HMP and UV
Tested with: PrBoom, GzDoom
Download: th128_alphav2.zip

Changes:

Spoiler

- filesize shrunk down to 128kb;
- most textures are properly aligned;
- geometry and lighting should be close to done;
- most issues with the raising bridge segment were fixed; 
- a lot more ammo added for playtesting purposes;
- major change on the yellow key area;

The file now has the proper size and most of the suggestions were implemented. The yellow key fight was buffed up considerably now that ammo is aplenty (might have to do something about the red key aswell), let me know if I got too carried way with that. I was having major issues preventing monsters from leaking into areas they don't belong, most of the placements  in the wide open areas are due to that. I'm also trying not to rely on hitscanners and monster closets for difficulty, which's very hard in an open map like that. If you guys have any suggestion, let me know. Difficulty settings are semi-implemented and ammo balance will be tweaked on future iterations, as of now, it's just to ensure players don't run out of.

Combat feels a bit bland now without ammo management, I'll be working on that for the beta version and would like to hear thoughts and sugestions on that. FDAs and recorded demos (either on UV or HMP) are also very appreciated.

17 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Thanks! Your map have any title or "The lab where the cyberdemon is created" is the official title?

Played your maps and they are cool, especially E3M8 is the most sadistic of the levels you made. E2M5 is the one that needs more changes, mostly add more ammo in the map and make some minor details like putting a little bit out these walls and change the vertices position to make the cave a little bit more organic instead of being fully rectangular. Also, where is the secret exit? I'll have to check it out

Also i was thinking to cross-posting this challenge, or creating a simple discord server for grabbing more people in it...

The rectangular cave feeling is mainly because it is a Mann-dug cavern, and I won't tell ya' where the secret exit is. (Psst! It's behind one of the crates in the crate room, but you gotta hit two hidden switches somewhere in the level to open the exit, one is in the Cyberdemon room)

And while I'm not denying the need for more ammo, considering this is in the E2M5 spot, I can guess the player will probably have managed to get some ammo and weapons in the 4 previous levels, so it's designed in a way to give pistol-starting players a decent challenge. (And hey, I'm not as bad as https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP17:_Hell_Keep_(Console_Doom)

Understood. Anyway, I played the recent maps by NeedHealth, Weird Sandwich and Super Mighty G. All maps are pretty good!

NH hell map: really good fights and look, didn't find any serious bugs. My impression are the same Iacobus wrote up. Very good map, it will be put in a slot near the Weird Sandwich map, since thematically are pretty similar.

WS insinerator: pretty cool map, I love the new textures. Sometimes looks to empty. What UAC does with a huge incinerator (yes, there's a little typo in the title) in Hell, anyway? However, I'd like to have a radiation suit before the incinerator, or at least when the floor start to collapse. Didn't have checked out it yet on Slade to see the bug that make crash your map on boom.

SMG Recluse: Very competent boss map, it recalls a lot the original episode 4 maps, like it's a map straight out from Doom the way I'd did.

Alright, this is the first complete version of my map. Took me about 10-15 hours to create.

Name: Deimos Staging Area (yes, a bit cookie cutter)

Slot: E2M7

Tested with: PrBoom+ and GZDooM

Format: BooM

Size: 124 kB

Download link: linky-updated

Difficulty levels: Yes (mostly removed some enemies and added health and ammo)

Should we also include a .DEH file and custom grapichs for the minimap name and 'entering level' name, or will you add them later?

P.S. I gotta admit, I was sweating looking at the file size as it slowly grew. Had to axe some ideas. I think I could've made the map larger, but I just cannot map below a certain level of detail.

Edited by Pechudin

19 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

nh_128kbmapV2.7z

Nice map, here's a cautious and pretty boring UV FDA with an exit (somehow managed to ignore the YK switch despite seeing it twice): download (-complevel 9, uses the war imp patch)

The yellow key fight seems okay, it's pretty dangerous without being too overwhelming, but maybe too easy to cheese by just teleporting out (I found this out by accident when I started running out of space :P). You could probably put some timer bars in to avoid this if needed.

I don't think I have any serious complaints, the war imp addition was fun and nicely used, and health and ammo supply felt comfortable. UV could maybe be a bit harder but I think it plays well as it is, so there's no reason to push for even more difficulty just for its own sake. When I saw that first green projectile flying at me I was like ah shit, barons already? But thankfully, no. :) Texturing and general feeling reminded me a lot of E3 (but better), so it might be good for a slot there.

2 hours ago, Pechudin said:

Should we also include a .DEH file and custom grapichs for the minimap name and 'entering level' name, or will you add them later?

I'll add it later! Adding your map to the map list!

8 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

I'll add it later! Adding your map to the map list!

Great! Hopefully peeps find any bugs that might've been left unfixed, and comment on difficulty or encounter design.

@Walter confetti @BoxY I tried to watch your demo but there seems to be an error. this is the command line i used. The demo crashes after about 30 seconds.

prboom-plus.exe -iwad DOOMU -deh warimp.deh -file nh_128kbmapV2.wad -playdemo nh128_bx_fda.lmp

rZz6imv.png

fIaUiif.png

about 10 seconds after this point.

-e1: i added the -complevel 9 parameter but it didnt matter,

1 minute ago, NeedHealth said:

@Walter confetti @BoxY I tried to watch your demo but there seems to be an error. this is the command line i used. The demo crashes after about 30 seconds.

prboom-plus.exe -iwad DOOMU -deh warimp.deh -file nh_128kbmapV2.wad -playdemo nh128_bx_fda.lmp

about 10 seconds are this point.

You forgot to load the sprite data from warimp.wad :). Try 

-iwad DOOM.WAD -file nh_128kbmapV2.wad warimp.wad -deh warimp.deh -playdemo nh128_bx_fda.lmp -complevel 9