Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 128 kb mapping extragavanza "challenge"*

21 hours ago, riderr3 said:

I have an idea. To keep the layout and consistency, I'll keep these doors open ("s1 door open stay" instead of "sr door open wait close") and raise their sector brightness to make it easier to find. I confess I went overboard with this puzzle. The update will be released in the coming days.

It`s actually quite trivial to do the puzzle on the automap, since it shows sector changes at the press of a switch, I even thought that was the intended way of solving it!

Apart from the secret Chaingun, which feels mandatory for the good flow of the map, the only issue I found was that sometimes (happened twice for me) the Cacodemon uses the teleporter and gets stuck behind it in the crusher room. Just adding the tag `block monsters` to the teleporter can solve it.

demo_infwharf.zip

@Walter confetti

Here is my updated map: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3lf1pdfmey2918a/infwharf_v2.zip/file

V2 changes:
- the sequence in the water zone has been made clearer - doors now remain open
- sectors of these doors are brightened and visible better
- added one more chaingun in the crushers area
- monsters will no longer enter player-only teleports

P.S. Also add the link to OP.

Edited by riderr3

Seeing as I'm free of any duties for the time being, I finally got around to putting together my contribution. I made this as a speedmap of sorts, though I wasn't exactly running on a timer. Either way, it didn't take me much longer than an hour.

Them details

Map name: Cauldron

Author: MFG38

Par time: 1:15

Difficulty settings: Yes

Coop: No

DM: No

Music: MIDI rendition of "Malek's Bastion" from Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tested with: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, GZDoom 4.3.3

mfg_128kb.zip

Small updates to both my maps:

128_magi.zip (E1M2)

- Fixed some texture alignments
- Fixed a weird bug in the outdoor secret, where you could get stuck on non-existent geometry. Moved a vertex and it seems to have gone away...
- Made the teleport closets hopefully more efficient
(Thanks to @FrancisT18 for his super thorough testing!)

128_bite.zip (E4M1)

- Added co-op and deathmatch starts, at the cost of a few dead bodies and a health bonus :P

I've tried making a couple different maps within the limit, but none of them ended up pretty good. I simply wasn't satisfied with any of them. I think I'll just give up my spot since I don't think any of them are worth it. 

2 hours ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

I've tried making a couple different maps within the limit, but none of them ended up pretty good. I simply wasn't satisfied with any of them. I think I'll just give up my spot since I don't think any of them are worth it. 

You could post them for us to try out and give feedback. It's not like it has to be perfect, the whole point of this is to work with limited resources and see what you can come up with...

2 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Has everyone forgot about this?

You should go to the Isolation project thread with that question. :P

9 hours ago, EpicTyphlosion said:

And GZDoom -1

And DosDoom -1, for that matter. And many other community projects around these forums!

But you know what is the best way to unlock these situations? By contributing on them!

This one have one map free for Episode 4, if you, doomworld user that read this and you want to give a spin on making a map and know how to make maps, are interested in joining this, be my guest!

@Walter confetti if it should happen that no one volunteer for that episode 4 map then let me know and I’ll do it. It would be a shame if it’s just one map holding us back. But let’s see first if someone else wanna do it. Otherwise you know where to find me.

4 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

This one have one map free for Episode 4

I could make a map but it would've broken the 128KB limit

14 hours ago, Roebloz said:

Has everyone forgot about this?

Actually not, yesterday I polished my two maps for this project (and now they are a bit bigger but 3KB less lol)

I'm going to post it here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehscr3o5pt1og5b/METABOLISM.wad?dl=1

Still waiting for Riderr3's permission (I DMed him) to use his E2M6 boat at the start at E2M9's end (just for smooth transition between these maps)

Edited by SilverMiner

On 11/12/2020 at 4:05 PM, SilverMiner said:

Still waiting for Riderr3's permission (I DMed him) to use his E2M6 boat at the start at E2M9's end (just for smooth transition between these maps)

Of course you can use it!

Also another small reminder to those who have took map slots but have not made progress yet: perhaps those who want to participate want to take your place.

I wouldn't mind making another map if it's needed to finish up the project by deadline, but I can't take the E4 slot because I already have a map in that episode and I feel like having 2 maps by the same person so close together would be really lame. If any other episode slots open I might jump in, though.

Ok, i wait a little to see if someone else is interested in making a map, otherwise I'll give the spot to Chris.

Also dumb question,will the final wad contain mapinfo for episode 4?(because it's really painful in terms of music)

Map name: Back to Phobos Again
Author: Mary_Rose
Map Size: 125 kb
Music: None

Cooperative: No

Deathmatch: No
Difficulty Settings: Yes 
Par Time: 1:34
Tested with: PRBoom+ 2.5.1.4 and GZDoom 4.5.0.0

Mary_128kb.zip

I had the map ready for some time, I don't know why I just didn't send it

Map name: Permissive Action Link

Map size: 127kb

Music: None

Difficulty: Yes

I finally managed to bring myself to finish this, apologies for the long absence. I ran out of kilobytes to finish all the encounters I wanted, so the map can feel a little empty after grabbing the blue key, sorry about that. Personally not very satisfied with this, so I propose to put it as a secret map

PAL.rar

Added a final deadline in the OP post, plus give a tentative episode one order always in OP post.

Plus started to add some stuff for my map, if I can't do something for it in the next days, I'll free my slot!

31 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

if I can't do something for it in the next days, I'll free my slot!

lol BRO don't get disqualified in your own project!