Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

The 128 kb mapping extragavanza "challenge"*

this looks fun! However when i thought about skies for all those episodes all of them were "red sky" and I don't know how i feel about that

This sounds interesting. A couple of my maps are around 400 kB in size, I guess I could do smaller or less detailed. Is there a signing up process, a time limit, map limit?

Ultimate Doom? Anything I want? *makes a simple map with a dehacked patch that has functional Doom 2 monsters* /joke

@Mr Masker

Make your map using a red sky? You can always add it using the line action 271 or 272, leaving untouched the stock sky if anyone wants to use it... Or are you thinking that not only me for my map and you are going to use red sky in our maps? Or you don't know how to add a new texture?

@Pechudin

Just put your maps here, following the themes direction in OP.

There's no map limit for author, however the map limit is of 9 maps for episode, that makes... 45 maps! Well, last time we made a 32 level megawad in less of a month, so... We can redo it again?

I was thinking of 12 December or the end of the year for a deadline, but so far there's no hard deadline set...

@Xyzzy01

Yes! Sky is the limit! About dehacked usage, I'll put some rules on OP post

Edited by Walter confetti

37 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

@Pechudin

Just put your maps here, following the themes direction in OP.

There's no map limit for author, however the map limit is of 9 maps for episode, that makes... 45 maps! Well, last time we made a 32 level megawad in less of a month, so... We can redo it again?

I was thinking of 12 December or the end of the year for a deadline, but so far there's no hard deadline set...

Will all maps be included in the final WAD (I assume some quality control will be asserted), and the rest will be lumped in 'ZDooM extras' or 'Lost episodes'-esque WAD?

The maps will don't make the cut after the final WAD is completed it will be "recycled" by converting them for the next game chosen.

Edited by Walter confetti

For anyone wants to make their map for episode 5 (Sigil), you can make your map for any slot you want, it will be moved to the selected episode at the final compilation, just remember to write down that you make that map for episode 5.

Please put me down for a Thy Flesh Consumed map. I'm hankering to do something Ultimate Doom-y with wood, marble, lava, and plenty of eccentricity within a size limit.

Is there any rule against me creating a custom PLAYPAL file which changes a few colours? (Mostly thinking about changing the blues to be a little more purple or sky-blue in nature and maybe recolour some of the item pick up/damage flash tints). Along with that, can I change the COLORMAP to edit the colour of the invulnerability palette?

Just a little curious that's all. :)

PS: Sign me up for episode 1.

Having followed the 64KB mapping challenge threads from the wayside, I'm intrigued by the idea.

You can tentatively slap me down for a slot in Episode 3.

I'm currently messing with something episode 4-ish, is there any advice around about how to squeeze the most juice out of a map's geometry for the least bloat? I barely blocked out 1 and a half rooms so far and I'm at 33 kB, and I want to save about 15-20 kB at the end for a decent midi. Should I not even bother worrying too much then just put the map on a crash detail diet at the end until it makes the cut?

Initially, try mapping with vanilla in mind. Since vanilla can't handle insanely detailed maps very well, the limitation issue of the file size shouldn't be a problem (though how you managed to burn through 33KB on 1.5 rooms whereas I managed to have several sectors and barely crack 20KB I'll never know >_>). Also, does conjoining sectors affect the WAD's file size? If it shrinks it, that may be a dirty little method to make much more grandeous maps without using a high amount of data.

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Is there any rule against me creating a custom PLAYPAL file which changes a few colours? (Mostly thinking about changing the blues to be a little more purple or sky-blue in nature and maybe recolour some of the item pick up/damage flash tints). Along with that, can I change the COLORMAP to edit the colour of the invulnerability palette?

Just a little curious that's all. :)

PS: Sign me up for episode 1.

Yeah, sure, go ahead!

9 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Also, does conjoining sectors affect the WAD's file size? If it shrinks it, that may be a dirty little method to make much more grandeous maps without using a high amount of data.

I imagine it does, but it's probably a very tiny difference. The linedefs still need to be in there regardless of how many sectors they represent, right? Then again, at such small sizes it might be significant to not be storing another sector number, floor/ceiling heights and flats, and associated lines.

EDIT: I guess the lines reference the sector, not the other way around, according to the doom wiki. Each sector definition uses 26 bytes. So 100 sectors would be 2.6k on their own. Linedefs are 14 bytes, while sidedefs are 30 bytes. So a lonely two sided line is potentially taking up 74 bytes, and considering you'll have at least three to make a sector, it seems to me that line detail will kill you first. Every penny counts though so joining sectors could help you squeeze.

I'd always like more practice in mapping and haven't tried out Ultimate Doom mapping yet, so please sign me up for a map in Ep 3. 

Sounds like fun!

2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Initially, try mapping with vanilla in mind. Since vanilla can't handle insanely detailed maps very well, the limitation issue of the file size shouldn't be a problem (though how you managed to burn through 33KB on 1.5 rooms whereas I managed to have several sectors and barely crack 20KB I'll never know >_>). Also, does conjoining sectors affect the WAD's file size? If it shrinks it, that may be a dirty little method to make much more grandeous maps without using a high amount of data.

Maybe you can use wadptr to compress your sidedefs! From what I understood, it could compress your maps quite a lot as long as you keep texture alignment to a minimum.

Hah, it feels kind of nerve-wracking making changes to the map and every so often checking the size of the file. Suprisingly small, though!

7 hours ago, BoxY said:

I'm currently messing with something episode 4-ish, is there any advice around about how to squeeze the most juice out of a map's geometry for the least bloat? I barely blocked out 1 and a half rooms so far and I'm at 33 kB, and I want to save about 15-20 kB at the end for a decent midi. Should I not even bother worrying too much then just put the map on a crash detail diet at the end until it makes the cut?

- Try to keep linedefs/vertices to a minimum. Use the curve tool only very sparingly for that reason. On the other hand, you can be more liberal with thing/decoration usage, since they only take up 10 bytes each 

- Reuse space in your map

- Play the 64KB challenge and open the maps up in the editor for inspiration (without copying, needless to say). I seem to recall an_mutt's map in the vanilla compilation getting the most out of the filesize restriction

1 minute ago, Horus said:

- Try to keep linedefs/vertices to a minimum. Use the curve tool only very sparingly for that reason. On the other hand, you can be more liberal with thing/decoration usage, since they only take up 10 bytes each

Damn, you're right, I just added a 20-30 monsters and they barely increased the filesize.

Let's do this boingo

EDIT: Allow me to clarify, I specifically would like a map reserved.

And I shall name it boingo. (I'm guessing Episode 3 would probably be the best choice)

Edited by HQDefault

I'd like a map slot, please. Need to make something again... everything I've started ends up in my scraps folder :( Maybe if I commit to a project I'll actually be able to finish something. Anything but episode 5 will be fine with me.

Anything is allowed it seems, as long as your contribution stays under 128 KB. Now that I think about it, it would be funny if Doom 2 was somehow rebuilt here from a bunch of separate submissions.

Another *KB Challenge?

Will choose episode 1

However would be cool to have a main DEHACKED file with some kind of 1-2 enemies to be between imp,pinky and cacodemon for difficulty,so you will not need to fill almost entire map with imps because there's no monsters which will be harder than imp but easier than cacodemon 

Edited by D1m3