Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dubaCRO

sky01 sky03 missing error

Question

hi,im making my 1st doom map for past 4-5 days. having issues with importing skyboxes,how exactly does it work? so i created entries F_START AND F_END,added skybox i want,added it to patches and textures...still map crashes on startup and i cant even use the texture on celings,elsewhere i can,but doesnt matter if map crashes...how i import custom skyboxes with slade? (boom format btw)

Edited by dubaCRO

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, dubaCRO said:

hi,im making my 1st doom map for past 4-5 days. having issues with importing skyboxes,how exactly does it work? so i created entries F_START AND F_END,added skybox i want,added it to patches and textures...still map crashes on startup and i cant even use the texture on celings,elsewhere i can,but doesnt matter if map crashes...how i import custom skyboxes with slade? (boom format btw)

Unless you use a source port which can render png images, you will have a bit of a challenge to convert an image to the colours contained in the DOOM palette PLAYPAL.

Because of the limited number of colours many mappers have developed their own PLAYPAL.

The tutorial uses GZDoom, but the process of inserting a basic sky image (256x128) is the same regardless.

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

Unless you use a source port which can render png images, you will have a bit of a challenge to convert an image to the colours contained in the DOOM palette PLAYPAL.

Because of the limited number of colours many mappers have developed their own PLAYPAL.

The tutorial uses GZDoom, but the process of inserting a basic sky image (256x128) is the same regardless.

yes i know about gzdoom,i can literally take sunlusts skybox for example and put it on celling of a sector no problem but i wanna play on boom...well ill see what ill do 

@dubaCRO
I was having similar issues with this a while ago with PrBoom+, have you created a TEXTUREx and PNAMES?
If you have, did you import the IWAD definitions?

image.png.0505c73bcba84224abd5c1b011e0c952.png

If I remember correctly, this solved my issues with PrBoom+ crashing.

Edit: Here's a previous thread where someone had the same (or similar) issue, I followed these instructions and I was golden.

4 hours ago, dubaCRO said:

yes i know about gzdoom,i can literally take sunlusts skybox for example and put it on celling of a sector no problem but i wanna play on boom...well ill see what ill do 

Sunlust renders the sky differently. The sky is set for most maps with the linedef special 271, except the ones which use SKY3.

However, 271 and 272 are MBF features and not supported in BOOM. But they are supported when using GZDoom.

sunlust sky 271.png

Edited by Kappes Buur

18 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Your mistake seems to be that you used F_START and not P_. Skies are walls, not flats, and should be make accordingly.

Skies are not walls they are patches, and thusly belong in between P_  markers. 

As was mentioned in the tutorial,

Then open your newly constructed map in Slade3 and drag/drop the new sky image in between P_START and P_END markers.

which explains the process of inserting a new sky image, when that image is of the same size as the original.

Edited by Kappes Buur

5 hours ago, kwc said:

@dubaCRO
I was having similar issues with this a while ago with PrBoom+, have you created a TEXTUREx and PNAMES?
If you have, did you import the IWAD definitions?

image.png.0505c73bcba84224abd5c1b011e0c952.png

If I remember correctly, this solved my issues with PrBoom+ crashing.

Edit: Here's a previous thread where someone had the same (or similar) issue, I followed these instructions and I was golden.

4 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Sunlust renders the sky differently. The sky is set for most maps with the linedef special 271, except the ones which use SKY3.

However, 271 and 272 are MBF features and not supported in BOOM. But they are supported when using GZDoom.

sunlust sky 271.png

2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Your mistake seems to be that you used F_START and not P_. Skies are walls, not flats, and should be make accordingly.

thanks guys and i fixed it.issue was like the previous link to forum said you must use option below when 1st preparing for textures and also how i dealth with simple skybox is simply import any skybox from pwad and rename it to RSKY1 and it must be between P_START P_END entries. now the normal doom skybox is replaced with one u chose