Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM Bear

Will the Fallout TV show be any good?

I know I’m a bit late to the party on this as the news has been out for a while but wanted to see how you guys feel?

Are you optimistic that this will be a deep, dark, gritty story with touches of wacky humour while keeping true to the games (minus Fallout 76 - let’s just pretend that shit never happened)?

Or do you feel it’s likely to be a shitty soulless cash grab specific designed to do nothing except expand the brand (exactly like Fallout 76)?

I know generally game movies are absolutely terrible (our beloved DooM has been bastardised... twice) but I’m thinking that maybe this could be a step in the right direction and that games might translate better in a TV show. Or maybe you’ll tell me I’m deluding myself.

What do you think?

On one hand I could say that all video game to film/tv adaptations have sucked ass since Mario Bros. On the other, there have been some recently that were well received. 

so I think if you are a fan of the games, it might be worth at least watching the pilot episode to see if it sparks your interests, or just wait for trailers and additional information to decide. I think if you don’t care for that series of games then you probably won’t care for the show unless it’s just that good. 

I personally can’t stand everything having to be a show. I don’t have time to sit through 30-60min episodes for years and years and years. I can tolerate some shows but a lot of them drag on much longer than they need to. So I personally will probably not watch it regardless of if it’s good or not. If it is really that great then I’ll watch it when it’s over so I don’t have to wait for episodes. 

I had no idea this was happening.

I think it's best I stay cautiously pessimistic. But I would say a tv series is more viable than a 2 hour movie. There's so much more opportunity to build on lore, story and character development.

In theory a Fallout series or movie has potential to be something interesting, but there needs some serious budget to pull it off.

Yeah, had no idea this was happening either lol.

But at any rate, my expectations are nonexistent, good movies/TV shows based on video games have rarely turned out to be decent in any way, so save yourself the disappointment.

It could go either way. It's being spearheaded by the creators of Westworld and I've heard that show was pretty good. Also, if we look back at other past video games that were made into movies or shows, they usually went with properties that really had very little in the way of story or world-building to work with. Contrastingly, Fallout has a shit-ton of established lore for them to work with in terms of the in-universe history and important characters. So unlike say, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario BrosMortal Kombat or even Doom, there's potential for writers who are worth their salt to be able to conjure up some interesting stories out of it with all that in-universe history and lore at their fingertips. Time will tell, but I think it's got a better chance than any other previous video game that've ever been adapted before. 

5 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Mortal Kombat

There is plenty to do with MK though, as we've seen even in the games, with the unfortunately short-lived 3D era (Deception, Armageddon), it just depends on what they choose to focus, there's way more to its universe than "just" tournaments and fatalities. Really wish we'd get more games like them... or a remaster for all platforms, to be able to play them on PC too.

I think the same could be said about some of the other franchises you mentioned, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with them to have an opinion.

7 hours ago, joepallai said:

Well if they give the people who did Nuka Break cart blanche it'll be good; otherwise I'm going into it cautiously hopeful.   

Oh man, I loved that series. Real shame all the original crew behind Wayside Productions were all screwed over by their parent company who pocketed the Kickstarter campaign  funds for a different series they were working and then pulled the plug on the project itself. Naturally, the OG staff all quit the company out of protest. Real shame since I was an avid follower of their work for years ever since I saw the original Nuka Break short back in high school. 

A post apocalypse show with the style and humor of Fallout sounds like a great time to me, so long as the budget is high to make it not look cheap.

If its setup like Mandalorian where each episode is something new and slightly unrelated to the ones before and after (like old western shows), I'll like it even more.

They can save some money where some episodes could take place literally entirely in a Red Rocket truck stop, but it needs a big budget so that the episodes that take place in the bigger locations like a destroyed city it doesn't look like CG crap.

I'm optimistic overall.

I loathe pessimism, but if one reviews the history of TV shows and movies based on games, the answer to the question is "no probably not." Westworld started good but crashed out hard so the involvement of anyone from that team is not that comforting.

But hey, stranger things have happened...

Edited by Murdoch

No.  Get the original creators or someone with a vision on board and then you can talk. But no one cares about another cash grab. 

Yet another post-apocalypse horror with a familiar name to make money. Still, I'm wondering how much Indian supermagic they will show in a VATS scene

Not being worse, doesn't mean it will be good though. It's not like Fallout 3 was good either. Would be nice if things were good instead of better than trash.

Why does everybody hate Bethesda? They have awesome games except for Fallout 76 (I also didn't like DOOM 2016). I like Skyrim, Fallout, and Wolfenstein seems cool. 

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Why does everybody hate Bethesda?

Many reasons, some of which you can read here.

9 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Why does everybody hate Bethesda?

We could write a book on how greedy it is or how stupid it is, but honestly just paying attention to the absolute disaster that is Fallout 76, a dumpster fire that is STILL burning after two years, is enough to really illustrate why Bethesda suck as much as they do. This fantastic video by The Internet Historian can tell you more about that debacle:

Yes, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are revered, but Bethesda has had much more failure than success and the only other good games related to them begin and end with them publishing said games. If it were up to me, I'd have them close down their game studio subsidiary so they can stop embarrassing themselves and just have them focus on publishing games instead because they manage to fuck up slightly less often with those than with the games they develop themselves.   

Lol no, as a publisher for their own games they're even more incompetent than as developers, as we've seen with the PR disaster of F76, and their games are still good, despite some of them ending up as very divisive among fans, particularly Fallout 4, which has plenty of people who like it, but also a lot who hate it.

Shutting down BGS would mean the end of TES and Fallout - no, for fuck's sake, it's pretty obvious Fallout is never going back to Obsidian, please stop day-dreaming... -, I could live without Fallout since it never captured me personally, but not TES. Similar games don't mean they're the same.

48 minutes ago, seed said:

as a publisher for their own games they're even more incompetent than as developers

I should clarify that when they publish OTHER people's games, nothing bad seems to happen. Besides the DRM debacle with Doom Eternal, both nuDoom games have been enjoying a mostly drama-free existence.

48 minutes ago, seed said:

Shutting down BGS would mean the end of TES and Fallout - no, for fuck's sake, it's pretty obvious Fallout is never going back to Obsidian, please stop day-dreaming

That much is obvious, my friend. I know how popular both series are. Bethesda could make the laziest and most incompetent garbage imaginable, which someone argue they already have, and all they have to do is slap "The Elder Scrolls" or "Fallout" on it and people will each that shit up. 

Edited by Biodegradable

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

That much is obvious, my friend. I know how popular both series are. Bethesda could make the laziest and most incompetent garbage imaginable, which someone argue they already have, and all they have to do is slap "The Elder Scrolls" or "Fallout" on it and people will each that shit up. 

Doubt it, if it's bad, then it's bad, simply slapping a brand on it will make no difference.

4 hours ago, seed said:

Shutting down BGS would mean the end of TES and Fallout - no, for fuck's sake, it's pretty obvious Fallout is never going back to Obsidian, please stop day-dreaming... -, I could live without Fallout since it never captured me personally, but not TES. Similar games don't mean they're the same.

I agree. I wouldn't want to see the end of TES. I still enjoy some Skyrim, with mods of course.

The Fallout TV show... I dunno if this is gonna suck or what. I don't really have a good feeling about it. It might turn out to be as good as that Shanarra Chronicles fiasco.

9 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Yes, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are revered, but Bethesda has had much more failure than success and the only other good games related to them begin and end with them publishing said games. If it were up to me, I'd have them close down their game studio subsidiary so they can stop embarrassing themselves and just have them focus on publishing games instead because they manage to fuck up slightly less often with those than with the games they develop themselves.   

Make some of the highest rated and high selling games, make one bad one, give no chance to make it up with something new and instead they deserve to be shutdown.

Fucking what?

Also Fallout 76 is their only "failure" so I have no idea what you mean by more failure then success. Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter, and Elder Scrolls Online have all been successes and usually highly rated.

Plus we have no clue with Starfield yet. They have a chance to address and fix any issues people have had with their games so we'll have to wait and see.

And given the fact Outer Worlds came and went and no one seems to ever talk about it, its clear no one can do what Bethesda does.

Bringing things back on topic, I reckon the show could work best as an anthology series that adapts the most solid stories/quests within Fallout into individual episodes. 

20 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Also Fallout 76 is their only "failure" so I have no idea what you mean by more failure then success. Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter, and Elder Scrolls Online have all been successes and usually highly rated.

TESO is good now though, because it was constantly updated and improved. At launch I've heard from people who played it since day-1 that it was both buggy and very underwhelming, that Skyrim Online mod supposedly blew it out of the water.

F76 seems to follow the same pattern, it was a beta quality trainwreck at launch but it apparently got quite a bit better now (and also increasingly more greedy, sadly... ).

All corporations are evil. The bigger, the worse.

Personally, my reproach to Bethesda in this case would be from this sentence:

Bethesda Game Studios has just announced that they are partnering with Amazon Prime

Fuck Amazon and Jeff Bezos and fuck everything he owns, this man and the others of his ilk -- Thiel, Musk, Branson, Zuckerberg, Page, etc. -- are a blight on modern society.