Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

Do you ever play DOOM with your child or with your parent?

I find it so nice when parents share similar interests with their children, and I was wondering if people out there enjoy playing with their son or daughter, or with their father or mother? I saw that topic by Old-Doomguy, and thought it was so sweet that he wanted his child to play DOOM! Eris Falling also said in another topic that his 90 year old grandfather played DOOM, which I thought was pretty awesome! 

Personally, I played DOOM with my dad once. He was that kid that would go outside for 14 hours a day, and then come back inside to go to sleep, so he never played video games. (He had a Magnavox Odyssey when he was a kid, but I don't think he ever played it). He had never heard of DOOM before like a year ago, and when I asked him to play, he nearly threw up from the speed of the game. It was pretty funny, but also fun playing with him (The only game he hasn't thrown up from is Mario Kart 8 for Wii U).

So, was there ever a time you played DOOM with your parent, or your kid played with you? 

My mom just lets me pass by playing DOOM on laptop. Our favorite video game genres are different, I prefer fast-paced action and arcade-y games and she prefers simple but brain-teasing puzzle games, so she shows no interest in it. As for the rest of my family, they don't really know much about my games nowadays, since my dad works in his hometown, far from us, and my two siblings have their own business (and laptop).

1 hour ago, DavidN said:

She once asked me to play Doom because she’d seen me playing it before, so I put on Chex Quest to tone it down a little - but she insisted she wanted the one with Doomguy’s face and all the demons :)

That's... priceless. Lol

Dad actually showed me (Or I watched him play, rather) Doom 2 when I was 3 years old on his old GBA. We still play DM on that thing.

Well, i played with my Uncle DOOM 95 when i was like 8 or 9?

Anyways, he was playing at E1M3 and the latter and it's was like "Spoookyy"
Then i played some levels and jumped again to play PS1.

And No harm done.

I know that my Dad had played Doom long before I did, probably before I was born and probably only for a little while. More recently, after I started playing Doom several years ago, there have been some occasions where I've gotten him to play the game, but only for a few minutes. My apparent obsession with this game must seem bizarre to him.

I showed my nephew DOOM when he was 3 on a whim and he absolutely fell in love with it. He's almost 7 now.
Any time he comes over, he usually asks if he can watch me play either Ultimate Doom or TNT: Evilution.

Once he learns how to use a keyboard and mouse, I plan on seeing if he has any interest in taking ITYTD for a spin,

as well as if he wants to learn how to use the editor to make his own level.

I once played with my father, it was nice, but it was so many years ago when I was a kid, we went very far in Plutonia that I really miss being able to play with him again, I hope soon to find a space of time.

I used to play with my nephew when he was like four or five.  We played co-op but it was annoying.

He kept shooting me.😆

6 hours ago, DavidN said:

She once asked me to play Doom because she’d seen me playing it before, so I put on Chex Quest to tone it down a little - but she insisted she wanted the one with Doomguy’s face and all the demons

"I ain't afraid of no stinky demon, Daddy. Bring 'em on!"

Fucking adorable, mate.

Since my sister moved out, my old man's converted her room into a study room and hooked up the old family computer in it which he also had upgraded. Once he's done faffing about with other shit, I'm gonna help him install Doom on it. He hasn't played it in about 20 years, so it'll be funny to see our roles reversed from when he first had me playing it when I was 6 years old and make him a certified Doomer once more. He's been lost for hobbies in his older age and has been growing increasingly frustrated with not having much to do, especially thanks to the virus. Perhaps getting him back in touch with Doom would be a great thing for him, plus it'd give us something to bond over. I might even be able to encourage him to make a Doomworld account. We shall see ;^) 

Edited by Biodegradable

Unfortunately na. 

I don’t have kids and dad wouldn’t get home till dinner time (which was after computer time) when I was a kid.

However, I do watch Decino vids with my 3yo nephew (he loves the revenants and when DooM guys eyes go yellow) and have been thinking about setting up an old laptop for him to have a play :-D

Might have to check with my little brother (his dad) first though XD

15 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I find it so nice when parents share similar interests with their children, and I was wondering if people out there enjoy playing with their son or daughter, or with their father or mother? I saw that topic by Old-Doomguy, and thought it was so sweet that he wanted his child to play DOOM! Eris Falling also said in another topic that his 90 year old grandfather played DOOM, which I thought was pretty awesome! 

Personally, I played DOOM with my dad once. He was that kid that would go outside for 14 hours a day, and then come back inside to go to sleep, so he never played video games. (He had a Magnavox Odyssey when he was a kid, but I don't think he ever played it). He had never heard of DOOM before like a year ago, and when I asked him to play, he nearly threw up from the speed of the game. It was pretty funny, but also fun playing with him (The only game he hasn't thrown up from is Mario Kart 8 for Wii U).

So, was there ever a time you played DOOM with your parent, or your kid played with you? 

It's funny you brought it up and even mentioned me, hehe. 

The thing with me is that I want my kids to know some history as well. Since he enjoy games so much, I felt that he really has to play Doom. I've already had him play Mario and Sonic etc. (We have tons of videogames and consoles - NES to ps4)

Any boxing kid will know about Tyson and Mohammad Ali. Any rally interested kid will know about Subaru Impreza and Audi Quattro. 

So why shouldn't gamer kids know about Doom and Quake?

When I was a kid I used to play Super Mario on NES and Gameboy with my dad (1957-2010) and those are some of my fondest memories of him. 

So there are several reasons to game with the kids!

Not yet.

My mum isn't into FPS, she's definitely more into action-RPGs and MMORPGs. She lives in Ireland so I don't see much of her these days. I don't know if my dad even plays games these days.

My sister's a console gamer who as far as I can tell is more into games like Overcooked and Disgaea. Her fiance is also very much console gamer, big into Megaman and Resident Evil and Castlevania. Although to be fair, I haven't really encouraged either of them try Doom.

Does the Unity console port have split-screen co-op? Because I think that would be an excellent way to introduce my five year old cousin to the game. Apparently his parents think he's old enough to watch YouTube videos of Doom gameplay on my phone when he gets curious.

I was 7 years old when my Dad first got a hold of shareware Doom.  After we got Doom 1 and 2 we would play co op over 56k modem or at his apartment over serial cable.  It was really good times, a lot of the fun was rationing health and ammo.  I forget what level but I remember one time my Dad went to get a medkit and the floor dropped out into a room full of Cacodemons, and I jumped in without any regard for my personal safety, it was awesome.

Sometimes I would go to my Dad's work and play Doom on his work computer.  Over the next few years played a lot of co op, post Doom FPS's, Heretic, Hexen, Descent, Duke Nukem, Blood, Quake 1 & 2.  Every now and then we would get back to Doom, played through all of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, Final Doom and a bunch of wads. Off the top I remember Memento Mori, All Hell is Breaking Loose, Obituary, Aliens TC, Iditarod and Osiris.  I feel lucky that my Dad was tech savvy enough to know how to do all this back then.

Edited by OKJoy