Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HombreSal

My Doom 1 and 2 PC Wads are pirated.

Ok so I'll confess that, because I already officially have these games in PS4, I said "I don''t think I should buy these games twice". Same for Final Doom too.

Is this a very very bad thing to do or do you guys not mind?

I bought Doom I & II once. Since then I just always pirated the thing. It's not like Romero, Carmack or any of the original Doom coders will be monetarily damaged or bethesda gives a tinker's damn about it, they have Doom 4 and that tumour called Fallout 76 to make money. God bless the internet.

It's probably technically illegal, but who cares. If you already own the game--and it's not like the PS4 version is any different from the PC classic (especially thanks to the recent update)--then if I were you, I wouldn't have much moral issue with it. But then again, it's like $1 on sale, so it won't break the piggy bank to buy it again legally. I'd probably just get it again on sale, unless you've got a really low budget.

5 minutes ago, Dukeinator2000 said:

I don't think Romero or Carmack care about their games being pirated anymore, but idk about bethesda 

They didn't even make the game, they just bought the franchise. Also the source code is public, they may as well make the damn game free.

my wads are pirated too. i got them from my broher who downloaded them from kazaa or emule. i was a kid in that time and my parents wouldnt buy a game that probably worth around 500-800 Mexican Pesos (even at those times that were a lot of money) and living in Mexico in those times finding games wasnt hard if you lived in Mexico City or the north border states of Mexico, But if you lived in Chiapas like i do (far south of Mexico i mean our neighbor is Guatemala) finding doom in any store was a freaking quest like trying to find the holy grail and even if you did would be expensive as heck.

but i hope i redeemed myself as i got the games again as complete pack and price from steam as sorry and thanks for all of those years of fun they give to me.

32 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

it's not like the PS4 version is any different from the PC classic

Pinkies not being fast on nightmare

31 minutes ago, nostalgia said:

They didn't even make the game

Wait, what?

Anyway yeah I mean I know it's wrong technically, but I barely ever do this and it's usually with games I already had in other format or games that are nowhere else available. I've made exceptions in the past to this rule when a game is like, SUPER famous.

I literally could not bring myself to give a remnant of a damn no matter how hard I try, especially since you already bought it on PS4.

Hot take, but piracy is not ethically wrong, unless you're pirating from some small indie studio or creator who needs the money. If it's a big corporation, it doesn't really matter. If everyone pirates Doom now until the end of time, Bethesda and ID Software will still exist, so who cares?

It especially doesn't matter for some old game where the devs aren't around to collect profits anymore. In some cases, the original company is long bankrupt. "Oh, but abandonware isn't a legally justifiable term!". Well, ok, if I find myself in court over it, I guess I'm screwed. But there's no way to justify its inethicality. The people who made it can no longer profit off of it. It's not legally available on Steam or anything like that, so even the current rights holder can't make money off of it, and there's really only one alternative: Buying second-hand on eBay or something. Which ethically isn't much better (the money still doesn't go the creators. It goes to the reseller, with a portion going to eBay itself), and it's also legally not all that justifiable, either. Buying/selling used games is in a massive legal grey area. Companies have sued over this, because it turns out it's not entirely legal to distribute someone's IP without their consent. None of your options are any good.

You can rationalize it however you want but piracy is still theft; you only bought a copy of the ps4 version/port of the games and you do not own the rights to the games themselves, so it is not for you to say what the rules should be. 

One can make the case for piracy not being ethically wrong but you're still doing what the rights owner is asking you not to do, which is wrong.

If you care about something, it probably would be good to financially support it and not undermine it by stealing it.

If you feel that bad enough to fess up to it, it probably means you can afford to put out the $15 it'd take to buy the whole collection on Steam or GOG (Ultimate Doom, Doom II + Final Doom + Master Levels).

Or wait for them to go on sale (which they do fairly often) and you should be able to get them for like $8-10.

Really, just buy them and get it over with and never have to worry about this problem again. I mean, if I went by your logic, I should have just been pirating every copy of Doom ever since I got the SNES version for $27 back when I was 10, and yet in that time I've bought that version, the PS1 version, the PC versions...

I don't know why you would announce this...? Doomworld doesn't support piracy, as a general rule, but posting just to announce that you pirated the game is just... pointless.