Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorogrimm

Infernal Foundry [WAD in Progress]

infernalfoundry_splash.png.272afbf92c3663addaf521293dd5a03f.png

Infernal Foundry is my current project depicting a marine who is sent to hell after the UAC discovers hell has conjured a way to steal on of the UAC's factories, bringing it to hell. This entails a series of dire consequences in which hell uses the brainwashed scientists and machinery to create their own technological abominations that our marine must halt production at all costs, including the termination of the brains of the operation.

Synopsis: "With hells’ teleportation tech, they have pilfered a UAC factory from Deimos and transported it to their own domain. Turning the greatest minds of the UAC into brainwashed zombies, hell has been capable of producing unthinkable mechanical amalgamations using their knowledge of robotics and weaponry. To shut operations down, you need to terminate the same donut eating smartasses who kitted you with your shiny BFG-9000 and hell has them well with its grasp. Breach those warehouses and labs and conveyor the slaughter chain right to their headquarters..."

I intend for this to be a megawad containing intermediately complex level design, closer to vanilla but with some UDMF functions. As well as custom enemies, utilisation of the OTEX texture pack and custom music.

This is my first time working on a project this big so I don't know how long it will take to make but I plan to take less time making each map than I usually would due to restrictions on finer details that would often increase the time to months per map. So far I have a good 90% of the first map finished and will post screenshots of progress.

Any playtesters or constructive criticism would be delighted!

- Tested with GZDoom

- Jumping disabled

- Built with Ultimate Doom Builder (Doom 2 UDMF format) and Slade 3

- Swimming up & down required

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200919_200027.png.0994e6c88ce796e82c7fe48ff8574896.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200919_200214.png.75086429d1a62f43ffbaa461a82856e8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200919_200241.png.41146508ed02729bc5889e5558c92832.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200919_200313.png.ae99896fd3dfaf64d6496f57d957531c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200919_200349.png.07c995935257e1f9d3e1d8e020c09a61.png

Test file

Edited by Thorogrimm : Less hitscanners at start

I enjoyed this!  It's obvious you spent a lot of time on the main outside areas and they look really nice.  Traversal feels pretty slick too.  My favorite part was probably the approach to the base (foundry?)  Good use of a combination of fences and boxes to create some nice situations.  Well placed barrels, although I didn't figure out you could raise them up to the HK until after I killed it.  I found all the secrets but missed one item--probably a stray health bonus somewhere.

My only real issues:

-- I'm new here but I think it's more common to distribute your file in a compressed format.

-- Some of the hitscanners by the water area were hard to spot at first and a lot of them have angles on you from a fair distance.  It wasn't horrible or anything, just mildly annoying.  The way you placed enemies in the outdoor lava area before the base felt a lot better in this regard.

Nice work so far.

39 minutes ago, Salmon said:

I enjoyed this!  It's obvious you spent a lot of time on the main outside areas and they look really nice.  Traversal feels pretty slick too.  My favorite part was probably the approach to the base (foundry?)  Good use of a combination of fences and boxes to create some nice situations.  Well placed barrels, although I didn't figure out you could raise them up to the HK until after I killed it.  I found all the secrets but missed one item--probably a stray health bonus somewhere.

My only real issues:

-- I'm new here but I think it's more common to distribute your file in a compressed format.

-- Some of the hitscanners by the water area were hard to spot at first and a lot of them have angles on you from a fair distance.  It wasn't horrible or anything, just mildly annoying.  The way you placed enemies in the outdoor lava area before the base felt a lot better in this regard.

Nice work so far.

Thankyou I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Balancing is tough as I wanted to make use of all that open area whilst keeping it fair, so I could perhaps move a few of them down a bit or make it a little more obvious to spot them.

I don't know which secrets you managed to find but there is a

Spoiler

rocket launcher near the truck and a box of rockets around the lava area near the factory.

Overall though I'm happy you liked the design and the traversal of the areas. I wanted to make them open and enjoyable to navigate. HMP and UV difficulties took time to balance as well.

8 minutes ago, Misty said:

New sky would make those screenshots and places shine better. Keep it up with work!

The new sky is now implemented in the WAD!

I have a question regarding the custom music for this wad. Vakhtang Adamiya was responsible for composing the soundtracks to the KraiSoft games Atomaders/Astrobatics/Alien Sky/After the End, which all use MIDIs just like Doom II and were released between 2002 and 2005; however, there have been only two music pieces from V.A. that were used in A.L.T. (released in 2012), both of them being from the second of the four games listed.

The soundtracks for the other three games are as follows:

Atomadershttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOU4ZvYIQdU

Alien Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03lKyyfxbwA

After the End: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbCUZ_MjvXs

2 hours ago, j4lambert said:

I have a question regarding the custom music for this wad. Vakhtang Adamiya was responsible for composing the soundtracks to the KraiSoft games Atomaders/Astrobatics/Alien Sky/After the End, which all use MIDIs just like Doom II and were released between 2002 and 2005; however, there have been only two music pieces from V.A. that were used in A.L.T. (released in 2012), both of them being from the second of the four games listed.

The soundtracks for the other three games are as follows:

Atomadershttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOU4ZvYIQdU

Alien Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03lKyyfxbwA

After the End: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbCUZ_MjvXs

The menu theme was Ynwie Malmstein's Rising Force
And the one playing in the map is 'Into the Furnace' by James Paddock

Not too shabby of an opening level, though the combat was a bit more annoying than fun. I blame the abundance of hitscanners placed around the large lake area, making it difficult to fight any of them because you have no cover. It's a bit unfair in that regard and being forced to run away in Doom makes me cranky. I want to KILL! Otherwise, it's not too bad and visually it looks great. I'd like to see more.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:16 PM, Biodegradable said:

Not too shabby of an opening level, though the combat was a bit more annoying than fun. I blame the abundance of hitscanners placed around the large lake area, making it difficult to fight any of them because you have no cover. It's a bit unfair in that regard and being forced to run away in Doom makes me cranky. I want to KILL! Otherwise, it's not too bad and visually it looks great. I'd like to see more.

I appreciate the time taken to record and play! I might tweak the enemy positioning choices in the valley, the last thing I'd want is for it to be annoying