Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Responding to GmanLives' Unity Doom video (Removed)

29 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I remember a time in my life well into my teens where I pronounced "hyperbole" as "hyper-bowl" (which lead to a rather loud laughing session on Teamspeak one night).

I still have to pause and make sure I say that word right myself lol.

6 minutes ago, STILES said:

I still have to pause and make sure I say that word right myself lol.

I've got it sorted out in my head now, but yeah, basically I was mocked for the rest of the night and it occasionally popped up for some weeks after.

I will make one better than the current one soon! I think I could get it down to 7 minutes and still include all the pertinent info.

I didn't see anyone address the resolution situation GmanLives was talking about. The Unity port on PC uses a base resolution and stretches to whatever resolution you set. For example the game window can be 1920x1080 but it's stretched to fit from a smaller resolution (something like 800x400, not sure of the exact number). GmanLives didn't explain it very well, but this behavior is kind of strange and a legitimate criticism.

Nice video, keep up the good work.

Some people have a hard time dealing with criticism huh... Well he could have handled the situation in a less abrasive way, but it was better than doubling down on his mistakes i guess.

It's a bit shame to see how everything about this topic turned out. I've been one of GmanLives' subscribers (and ICARUSLIV3S' too if you want to poke me about it) for quite some time and it's a bit sad to see how poorly he decided to handle the situation. I feel like a simple correction video would have been so much better than just deleting the video. (Also that Brutal Doom comment was REALLY weird, caught me instantly when I was watching the original video)

That being said, I always felt like GmanLives' weird attitude in videos is just an Australian thing (Any Australian readers, don't kill me). At least every Australian I've met seems to banter a lot more and one of my Australian friends told me that it is not a coincidence. That doesn't excuse GmanLives' behaviour on Twitter (like the response he did to AmethystViper) and I hope he would improve on that regard.

...and Doomkid got a new subscriber too. Good stuff.

7 hours ago, lazy91geek said:

The criticisms were valid, and he must have taken them to heart if he went as far as to take down the video. No need to kick him when he's down! I like Gman a lot.

No one is, but he's throwing punches at all directions when someone even questions his reaction. 

For what it's worth, I'm subscribed to both Gman's and Icarus's channels, they both put out enough interesting content to justify it.

I'm disappointed with the defensive reaction, but more than that this incident really makes me wonder if Gman has unintentionally misinformed his audience on the subject of other older games that don't have as active a fanbase as classic Doom.

1 minute ago, rustygizzard said:

?

I believe he is referring to the people defending GMan.

Unpopular opinion but I didn’t mind Gman’s vid!

Yes there were a few inaccuracies (well a few minor ones and a couple of more major ones) but I generally don’t expect a reviewer to know the inside and out of every game they play and just expect more of an overview (I.e. is it good / is it shit / does it improve on the existing product?).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a hardcore Gman fan or anything but felt this was a major improvement over his Sigil review (that one was a dumpster fire) and feel a little bad for him for the backlash.

I just worry he might intentionally skip DooM content in future as he got slammed on it the last 2 times which would kinda suck as I don’t like the idea of scaring anyone away from exposing more people to DooM and thus the DooM community :-)

Anyways, good vid @Doomkid :-D Even learnt a couple things you corrected myself :-D Keep it up man!

27 minutes ago, nostalgia said:

good video man, instantly subbed. Loved your channel and your midi compilations.

3 hours ago, Mara said:

...and Doomkid got a new subscriber too. Good stuff.

I also subbed to his channel too, I even learned about the real source to "Donna to the Rescue" from him. :D

There seems to be some kind of trend with good youtubers falling from grace and having their ego inflate out of proportions once they reach a specific subscriber milestone.

Great response video, you have an awesome voice and are a pleasure to listen to, Doomkid, so perhaps you might want to consider doing this on a more regular basis, assuming you have the time and desire of course:) I'm sure you'll pick up whatever thumbnail-editing skills you wish along the way without any problem. There's definitely a niche for analysis videos with calm and informed commentary not riddled with egocentric personality flaunting that people like to throw in nowadays to get more views.

2 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

Unpopular opinion but I didn’t mind Gman’s vid!

Yes there were a few inaccuracies (well a few minor ones and a couple of more major ones) but I generally don’t expect a reviewer to know the inside and out of every game they play and just expect more of an overview (I.e. is it good / is it shit / does it improve on the existing product?).

Well, you know, when your basis for comparison is way off the mark, then the final verdict of the review might be way different as well. And there's a big difference between "knowing inside and out" and doing basic research, especially if you present yourself as some kind of authority and afficionado. I don't know my ear from my elbow when it comes to technical side of DOOM things, but there's lots of people who do and who post relevant information in places such as the Doom Wiki. Googling is easy.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:04 AM, Allard said:

The Blood thing actually made me unsub from Gman and sub to Civvie in the first place.

You lasted longer than I did, I gave up before his Manhunt review went online. Heard less than great things regarding behind the scenes for it.

putting in my opinion, it wouldn't be as bad if he didn't completely miss the fact that it is running on the original idtech 1, and if he clarified that he would be comparing it to GZ from the start (even though it IS an extremely modified verison of idtech). honestly, i'm glad that id is taking the vanilla approach, because this is the way the games were meant to be played, and i think everyone should play vanilla their first time through, but of course, anyone can do whatever they want with the game they purchased and if you don't like the ports then you can always load up the wads with GZ, glboom, crispy, or whatever port you prefer.

Watching Doomkid's videos and seeing some of Gmanlives' statements made me facepalm or go "Really? Are you kidding me?". What's stopping G for admitting his mistakes, humbly apologizing for his brash behavior, reactions towards critique and moving on? It's that simple, really. I owe up to my mistakes when I make them, be them on the forum, YouTube videos of mine in the past or in general.

However, the "UV is the ideal way to play Doom" irked me a bit. Some people don't have fancy skill to play Sunder on UV, for example. Not even I could due to the monster density so HMP was more suited to me. People will play on the difficulty they feel that fits their level of skill in the game. Same applies to controller folks or keyboard only players.

Doom is meant to be fun like any other game on the market. Pointing out legitimate flaws is fine but claiming to be a know-all is pushing boundaries, everyone knows John Romero and John Carmack are the more well-known experts on it due to being part of the development of it. I may know the insides and out of most mapping and the engine in general but I no means claim to be an expert in these fields.

Well, I do believe UV is the way to go. But, that is because I am a masochist. Whatever floats your boat is what I say!

Circling back to Gman. Yeah, complete facepalm here. No contest. I hoped he would upload a second video to fix these misinformations but he decided to take down the video and bolt instead. Kind of sucks for me since I still like his Doom content but, hey, nothing can be done about it.

People online asserting falsehoods about video games is nothing new, but I'm surprised at how much he got wrong when every little detail about the game and the engine are documented in excruciating detail on an easily accessible website generally considered to be the go-to place for Doom information. Not to mention the effort many source port developers go through to preserve the game's history in a more tangible form with extremely accurate compatibility modes for just about every permutation of the game possible. There's not an excuse for getting that much wrong other than not doing your research.

Sucks he can't just own up to his mistakes, but honestly deleting the video seems like the right call, there was so much wrong about that video that it couldn't have been salvaged with an addendum. There's enough misinformation on Doom as-is, best to just bury it.

1 hour ago, M_W said:

but I'm surprised at how much he got wrong when every little detail about the game and the engine are documented in excruciating detail on an easily accessible website generally considered to be the go-to place for Doom information. 

worth mentioning, i noticed that the wiki which we shall not name does actually call it a remake and not a port. maybe it's just a coincidence but just something i thought about.

9 minutes ago, rustygizzard said:

worth mentioning, i noticed that the wiki which we shall not name does actually call it a remake and not a port. maybe it's just a coincidence but just something i thought about.

I don't understand how this kind of misinformation spreads like it does. I'm used to it with games like Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike where it almost exclusively exists on arcade or emulation, is closed source, and people are generally bad at the game, but the friggin source code for Doom is out there for anyone to see, and has been gone over with a fine-toothed comb for the better part of thirty years. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the most documented games in History.

3 minutes ago, M_W said:

I don't understand how this kind of misinformation spreads like it does. I'm used to it with games like Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike where it almost exclusively exists on arcade or emulation, is closed source, and people are generally bad at the game, but the friggin source code for Doom is out there for anyone to see, and has been gone over with a fine-toothed comb for the better part of thirty years. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the most documented games in History.

while the internet age has made it easier to spread information, it also makes it easier to spread misinformation since anyone can post whatever bullshit they want people to believe, or if they were misinformed. it's a double edged sword unfortunately.

On 9/15/2020 at 1:57 AM, P41R47 said:

We are all amused and can't certaily grasp how this fellow has the bollocks to distort all in his favor.
And unfortunatelly, even when we know the truth and try to share it adequately, people that just follow this guy for his ''internet persona'' will just think that we want to bash their idol.

I wasn't trying to defend anybody, nor was I trying to cancel anybody, but nice try.