Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bryan T

A wild megawad appears

Really glad you posted about this - no idea who the mapper is, but if the first 3 maps are to be believed, this looks like a damn good wad we've got here! Really clean and refined mapping with fair difficulty and very appealing usage of the stock assets. Gonna have to save this one! Seems to work just fine in Zandronum.

Ooohhhhhh! I love this out of nowhere projects.
i tried it on Woof! And aside from the title screen menu glitching a little like HOM, the maps work without problem at all.
Unfortunately, on Doom Retro it crash from the get go. But it could be because the TITLEPIC has a and strange size...500x322.
I change them to the usual 320x200 and it worked without problem.

As far as i can tell, its a limit removing megawad.
i tried several maps without noticing any boom or MBF linedef action... and Doom Retro didn't crash, so no zdoom action so far either.

Oh and yes! Pretty good challenge from the get go. The .txt explicity said ''difficult setting not implemented'' but well hahaha, could had an introduction before storm out.

EDIT: It was uploaded yesterday! What an eye @Bryan T!

Played the first couple of maps and damn this is some good shit from a random mapper that we don't know.

2 minutes ago, Philnemba said:

Played the first couple of maps and damn this is some good shit from a random mapper that we don't know.

Maybe we know them, but they decided to not tell us about it and go on silent mode, 

13 minutes ago, Misty said:

Maybe we know them, but they decided to not tell us about it and go on silent mode, 

The Author's name is TheMightyWhoosh which no such forum member exist on this site although this could be an alt name of a previous member who use to be active but choose not to reveal his or herself although that's just speculation on my end.  

40 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

As far as i can tell, its a limit removing megawad.
i tried several maps without noticing any boom or MBF linedef action... and Doom Retro didn't crash, so no zdoom action so far either.

While it may not use any non-vanilla actions, that the mapper exclusively tested in gzdoom is reason enough to believe there may be roadblocks if played on ports like crispy doom, because of different engines.

I checked a couple maps and hit a wall halfway on map 5, where there seemed to be stuck monsters on sectors supposed to change, which is when the gap isn't big enough for the hitbox and the sector-change sound loops in forever. It might function well in boom though, I think it ignores that problem.

Guessing by the mappers name he's likely from the UK as his name is a play on a very surrealist comedy show we had over here from years ago. 

'The Mighty Boosh'

I choose to believe it's the successor of Eye de Cul because with a quick look at all the maps, this might perfectly be subtitled "Garrulismo 2.0" in my book, which I'd wholeheartedly support if the unknown mapper took inspiration from him. A shame though it isn't reliable in Crispy.

4 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

While it may not use any non-vanilla actions, that the mapper exclusively tested in gzdoom is reason enough to believe there may be roadblocks if played on ports like crispy doom, because of different engines.

I checked a couple maps and hit a wall halfway on map 5, where there seemed to be stuck monsters on sectors supposed to change, which is when the gap isn't big enough for the hitbox and the sector-change sound loops in forever. It might function well in boom though, I think it ignores that problem.

Yeah, i just checked map05 and there is nothing like you describe, so Boom might had correct it.

4 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

A shame though it isn't reliable in Crispy.

I had seen a lot of vanilla and limit removing complete releases with stuck monsters or a bad line that keeps activating sectors, its not that bad. Just one monster stuck its better than a a trigger line that didn't work and doesn't activate an ambush
At least the maps are completable ;)

33 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I had seen a lot of vanilla and limit removing complete releases with stuck monsters or a bad line that keeps activating sectors, its not that bad. Just one monster stuck its better than a a trigger line that didn't work and doesn't activate an ambush
At least the maps are completable ;)

Well, almost, I keep finding fatal bugs while playing in crispy for my own amusement, which otherwise wouldn't pop in gzdoom (check map 06 up to the BK door in boom to see some wizardry), and I've yet to see another 27 maps.

Honestly though, I respect the mapper's decision to release something sort of anonymously out of nowhere, without the pressure of opinions I guess, but at the same time from what I'm seeing I think it would have not hurt to have a second pair of eyes on this wad's rare technical issues, since not everyone uses gzdoom. Also, this is too vanilla for me not to use crispy, in spite of breaking everything ahead :p

BTW, Looking at the maps in gzdb, they actually have custom names. The first map is called "Go", for example.

6 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Well, almost, I keep finding fatal bugs while playing in crispy for my own amusement, which otherwise wouldn't pop in gzdoom (check map 06 up to the BK door in boom to see some wizardry), and I've yet to see another 27 maps.

Honestly though, I respect the mapper's decision to release something sort of anonymously out of nowhere, without the pressure of opinions I guess, but at the same time from what I'm seeing I think it would have not hurt to have a second pair of eyes on this wad's rare technical issues, since not everyone uses gzdoom. Also, this is too vanilla for me not to use crispy, in spite of breaking everything ahead :p

BTW, Looking at the maps in gzdb, they actually have custom names. The first map is called "Go", for example.

Yeah, i think the same. I'm not against this kind of surprises, but maybe trying it on other ports would be better for compatibility.
I guess the author its not from the community.

Just someone that likes Doom and made maps for his/her own amusement on his/her spare time.

Doom Retro partially read the MAPINFO and there is a MAPINFO inside it. 

Aside from the maps names, there is nothing else, so you don't loose much.

No custom text screen, no story.

Just challenging maps.

With strange map names.

Its like a mapset from the 90's just out of nowhere.

nice find! gonna check it out if/when i can break away from blood and descent for a while...

tbh this is a fine example of gzdooms greatest strength... yes there are a couple annoying zdoomisms in there but 99.9% everything you can download “just works.” 

Played until Map08. It's OK IMO as a mapset who goes for an old school taste. It feels like a 90s or early 200X mapset to me, with similar strange design to it. However, to be honest though, if this is something from the 2020, I would say it's fine, but not very enjoyable.

The weird thing to me is that the maps seem very vannila-ish, and somehow it requires (G)ZDoom port to play, which is a major turn off to me, seriously.

11 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

The weird thing to me is that the maps seem very vannila-ish, and somehow it requires (G)ZDoom port to play, which is a major turn off to me, seriously.

Yeah, i also notice that the maps could easily be vanilla compatible.

GZDoom is recommended just because there is a mapinfo inside, but the author said to not know if it is playable on other ports.

I will try the fixed graphic version i made in chocolate.

I'm pretty sure it is almost full compatible with it.

You can try it on PrBoom+ withbthe following fix.

The fix is easy to made, just export the titlepic as png, change the size with mspaint or similar program, reinsert it and duplicate it for the bossback, credit, and interpic and you are done.

I'm intrigued about this mysterious megaWAD. Would anyone be up to posting a couple of screenshots? Perhaps we can entice even more people to check it out. I was going to do it compltely blind, but I've got other stuff on my plate I need to finish first and I wouldn't mind getting a peek at what it looks like.

I'd still refrain from using prboom+ for a full playthrough (on continuous specially), due to multiple "tag 0" switches that I'm finding along the way, unless I think turning on the option "linedefs w/o tags apply locally" works but not sure, but at least no demo recording of all maps in prb+ if that's in someone's mind. The maps with this particular issue so far have been 06 and 11, although the latter doesn't break progression.

There is also a potential softlock in the secret in map 04, due to W1 teleport lines, and I doubt you'd be safe of it even in gzdoom. There's the most annoying blocking hanging corpsing in map 08ing. Also, balance is evident towards carryovers, not that pistol starts haven't been bad but if providing the SSG next to the exit isn't enough evidence, I don't know what would be! 

It's a pretty nice wad though, bit overstuffed with hitscanners (or "understuffed" with health) but being so close to Garrulismo in design it's a win for me, and it ought to be for old-school classic-styled lovers. I'm on 14 currently and only found 08 and 13 annoying.

I played till map06 via prboom+, and as mentioned here before, sadly there is a fatal bug in map06, 2 doors (blue and yellow) cannot be opened.

The yellow one appears to be the door to a secret area, as the corresponding yellow keycard was hidden inside a secret.

In the readme file the author wrote that this .wad was playtested via gzdoom due to the MAPINFO lump but can/may be played with other engines, too.

The maps were tested on GZDoom as the WAD contains MAPINFO; however the maps may work on other engines

I wonder in which format the maps itself were build?

As some may suggest, I did like playing through the first five levels, the visuals and architecture are impressive,

considering that only D2 vanilla textures were used.

The gameplay was quite challenging too, I really enjoyed it.

Maybe there will be a version 1.1 'out of nowhwere' in the near future? ;)

This has all sorts of classic megawad hallmarks, so it's decent until you basically get stuck in places and wander around forever until you finally find that super-hidden switch. I felt like I was playing valkiriforce maps, especially with regards to the chaingunners who are quite frequent. Even in GZDoom I noticed some weird graphical glitches though, particularly with windows which show lots of HOMs, especially in later maps. 26 and 29 are the real big ones fyi. 18th megawad of 2020 also.

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

You can try it on PrBoom+ withbthe following fix.

The fix is easy to made, just export the titlepic as png, change the size with mspaint or similar program, reinsert it and duplicate it for the bossback, credit, and interpic and you are done.

Nah, too much work and the author doesn't bother, I don't bother. Also, it's just really a so so mapset to me anyway.

Not really that great IMO. Feels generic and uninspired, though functional. Some annoying layouts and switch hunts. Unless you've played pretty much everything out there, you can safely pass on this one. Nothing you haven't seen before.

19 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

18th megawad of 2020 also.

Woah... do you have the full list? D:

Since GZDoom was the only sourceport tested, it's  pretty obvious that other sourceports will have errors, regardless of map format used. Author shouldn't have included the 'may work with other engines' line, but otherwise I don't see any problem.