Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

What Are The Worst Pieces Of Music You've Listened To?

Just now, Spie812 said:

then you all need to find some actual bad music, like something that literally hurts to listen to.

And how many times to have to say listening to Yellow Submarine is just that bad for me, and oddly enough what you guys think isn't going to somehow in anyway change it.

^ and that isn't even especially bad if you take out the death metal cat sounds, which again, is them deliberately experimenting and taking the piss, the midi work isn't really bad. Context does matter to me and I just can't bring myself to count something that's completely tongue in cheek about being hard to listen to.

I'm going to do one more for the hell of it. This was dropped at a BMS competition sometime last year and is probably the worst thing I've heard that as far as I can tell from his submission was made completely sincerely rather than being intentionally bad. It was one of the artist's first songs and he's made a lot of progress since, I guess I find it to be kind of an endearing train wreck.

Apparently can't embed this one, but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiLmrGCAvWw

Edited by Spie812

Black Lace's Agadoo was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread, so I was pleased to see someone else cite it.

Nostalgia prevents me from having a negative opinion of the Manic Miner startup theme even though it barely qualifies as "music".

1 minute ago, Pokemanic33 said:

Is Who Let the Dogs Out too easy? I haven't really heard much bad music, honestly

I love that song. 

Last Christmas

1. Just because it has 'Christmas' in the title does not make it a Christmas song.

2. It's hideous. It doesn't matter who sings it.

3. It's played so often starting November that it becomes a challenge just to avoid hearing it until January.

There is bad music you can laugh about, or which is simply "strange".

And there is truly awful music. Like this (music starts at 0:52, but don't expect too much ...).

This was actually released and even seems to have been a minor hit in some countries, so it's not comparable with Rebecca Black etc. ...

4 hours ago, DSC said:

kpop

I've grown to quite like a lot of Kpop after working with writers for so long, but it isn't exactly the most passionate or earnest music. The business model is cynical and predatory, and good lord, the fandom...so I can't really defend it. But some of it is fun if you don't think too hard about it.

Ballads are the worst offender to my ears. Songs that are so on the nose with surface level emotion and only serve to show off the vocal skills and "depth" of the ego-maniacal artist. It feels so gross and manipulative, be it rock, pop, hip hop or country. It's the worst of any and every genre. "Photograph" by Ed Sheeran is a good example of this.

Another personal offender I can remember is when this kind of emo hardcore entered my local music scene. I played shows with some of them and even hung out with a few of the groups, but the fundamentals of why we were there were all wrong so it was hard to connect. So many actual fights broke out in the pit between metal fans trying to mosh and hardcore fans doing the windmill. They called it hardcore, not me. My response was always, "You're not hardcore."

One song I can't stand other than that damned Maxwell's Silver Hammer is the Kenny Rogers rape revenge song, Coward of the County. Same reason hybridial says he doesn't like that stupid Yellow Submarine song is because he heard it and doesn't bloody like it and personally I fucking hate this stupid song. Sometimes you know, other people have radios on and shit gets heard whether you want to hear it or not and over a period of many years something gets heard one too many times. I don't ever want to hear that song ever again.

or this horrid Bird Walk song. Fuck that shit.

Normally I love trance, but I had an irrational dislike of this song when I was younger, I just thought it was a really shit choice to open up Trance Nation 2003. To be honest that whole mix put me off the poppier side of trance music for good. I soon discovered psytrance afterwards and never looked back.

If we're talking about examples of popular music that we hate, despite them being popular and actually functional songs, then I have to suggest this:

When this song came out, I was paying my way through university by working nights at a mobile phone factory. I'd turn up at 10pm, and work through till 6, literally just grabbing two components from two buckets, placing them together underneath a tiny press, then pulling a lever to smoosh them together. For eight hours.

And the whole time, every night, Radio 1 was blasting out across the factory floor, playing this fucking awful song pretty much once an hour. His boring droning toneless voice drilling deep into my skull every time it relentlessly repeated.

Maybe it's actually fine? Maybe it's a perfectly likeable song? I have no way of telling. I listened to it a hundred times in a row, and hated it slightly more every time.

I've never hated any song more, and I hope I never will.

Ichor knows what’s up. Last Christmas is the most lame, droll song ever, especially when you hear it 10 times a day at work during Christmas. I think that’s the closest I’ve ever been to going postal.

I think most “overly energetic and happy pop, yay, super fun!!” tends to be pretty barf-worthy too. You know, that music that sounds like if it had a colour, it would be bright pink. It’s clearly not meant for me, but the fact that it replaced generic  rock and classic hip hop on most of the surviving radio stations is a shame, because at least they weren’t auditory torture.

Spoiler

I love Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Yellow Submarine. You have to like The Beatles to like them, though. I also feel like people think they are both children's songs, which couldn't be further from the truth (especially considering Maxwell's Silver Hammer is about a Serial Killer).

I think I take first place when I say the worst song of all time is Africa by Toto. I hated it when I heard it the first time, and I hate it now. It is so irritating. Just a couple of dudes talking about Africa and love (Like somehow the two relate to one another). In 5th grade, for Christmas, my teacher played us a Christmas version of the song, and I nearly plunged my pencil through my ear. It was the WORRRSTTRSTTSTT!!!!!!

I also Don't like any of Queen's music, which is incredibly unpopular, I know, but I can't stand Mercury's voice. Bohemian Rhapsody was one of my least favorite songs of all time. 

Also, I know somebody here will one day bring up Bob Dylan because of his voice, which I will then proceed to hurl stones at you until you edit your comment, as you should know darn well that it isn't about his voice, it's about his lyrics.  

44 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I love Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Yellow Submarine. You have to like The Beatles to like them, though. I also feel like people think they are both children's songs, which couldn't be further from the truth (especially considering Maxwell's Silver Hammer is about a Serial Killer).

I think I take first place when I say the worst song of all time is Africa by Toto. I hated it when I heard it the first time, and I hate it now. It is so irritating. Just a couple of dudes talking about Africa and love (Like somehow the two relate to one another). In 5th grade, for Christmas, my teacher played us a Christmas version of the song, and I nearly plunged my pencil through my ear. It was the WORRRSTTRSTTSTT!!!!!!

I also Don't like any of Queen's music, which is incredibly unpopular, I know, but I can't stand Mercury's voice. Bohemian Rhapsody was one of my least favorite songs of all time. 

Also, I know somebody here will one day bring up Bob Dylan because of his voice, which I will then proceed to hurl stones at you until you edit your comment, as you should know darn well that it isn't about his voice, it's about his lyrics.  

I can't stand the song Africa either but you have to admit that chorus is fucking brilliant.

Got to see Tim Commerford open for Prophets of Rage in 2016 fronting this lovely band. Thankfully, it's the "so bad it's hilarious" kind of bad.

(The Prophets of Rage show was OK, but it was before the album came out so it was basically Chuck D and B Real doing RATM karaoke. The album was trash lol.)

I usually like hit dance songs, but sweet God, Serebro's Mi Mi Mi is one such exception that makes me feel uncomfortable just by hearing a few seconds of it. No exact idea why, could be the "me me me me me me me" part.

Hey, I'm always down for some dark ambient/noise/experimental stuff.

Now, "Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz... that's fucking garbage.

1 hour ago, Xaser said:

This thread needs more Shooby Taylor.

You need to recalibrate your definition of bad! Shooby sings not in the language of men but of angels, and if you can just open your hardened heart wide enough to receive his message, you'll finally understand and be at peace.

@Error-404 Yes that is astoundly awful.

For me, the big disadvantage of listening to guys like Adam Buckley who mock bad music is you end up having to listen to bits of it. Just about anything made by Nicki Minaj would qualify but if I had to pick an absolute worst I think it would have to be "Love Me" by Lil Wayne. He is a talentless hack with a grating voice at the best of times, but that song is just so skin-crawlingly repulsive that just thinking about fills me with the urge to run a hot shower, jump in and scrub my skin raw, then head to the nearest Church and confess all my sins. And I am not even Catholic.

EDIT: Some of the comments on that McCartney video are gold. "My grandfather was on this song, those clangs at 0:18 is him trying to break into the studio to stop Paul from recording this thing."

3 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Literally any of these

It sounds like about a dozen people having seizures on top of 1980s era Casio keyboards.

1 hour ago, lazy91geek said:

Always thought SFU sucked, but this is a new low. Chris Barnes's vocals are worse than they've ever been.

Their cover of TNT is comedy gold.

Edited by Murdoch

5 minutes ago, Dr. Toboggan said:

IceJJFish

Bahahaha oh God that is GOLD. It is like his voice is going through different stages of puberty every couple of syllables.

13 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I've grown to quite like a lot of Kpop after working with writers for so long, but it isn't exactly the most passionate or earnest music. The business model is cynical and predatory, and good lord, the fandom...so I can't really defend it. But some of it is fun if you don't think too hard about it.

The reason I hate it so much is probably just because of cultural shock. My favorite genres are progressive rock and several different kinds of metal, and thats on the opposite side of the musical spectrum compared to kpop.