Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

What Are The Worst Pieces Of Music You've Listened To?

22 hours ago, Bucket said:

Now, "Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz... that's fucking garbage.

I think this one by Lenny is the blandest thing I've ever heard:

I'm sometimes fascinated by stuff that's intentionally hard to listen to, like this one by Steve Vai, where it seems he tried to make the ugliest piece of 'music' ever (the title says it all):

He's a bit of a weirdo.

And then you've got his former mentor, Frank Zappa, who created stuff that would sound totally random, but was actually completely composed and orchestrated.  

Try watching this dude doing a playthrough on drums and tell me what the hell's going on:

And then you've got Clowncore:

Do people actually enjoy Death Metal? This is a serious question, I'm not being sarcastic at all. It just sounds so strange to me. 

11 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Do people actually enjoy Death Metal? This is a serious question, I'm not being sarcastic at all. It just sounds so strange to me. 

As a death metal fan myself, I can say it's an acquired taste, as is the case with most other music genres/subgenres.

13 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Do people actually enjoy Death Metal?

It's all about the human experience. I can only speak about my own perspective but growing up in a repressive religious community, you either join in or find ways to go against it. Music, being such a powerful voice of expression, is a great way to figure out your identity as an adolescent, and then the vocabulary naturally develops throughout your life. Finding the cool kids with the cool style and the cool music was important to me as a kid, and we got each other into all sorts of strange music.

My first taste of death metal was a friend in junior high who gave me Butchered at Birth by Cannibal Corpse because he hated it. I took it home and it was like nothing I ever heard. I was used to bands like Pantera and Slayer but that vocal style was new and in a small part, helped me find my own voice and develop my own identity. I imagine the reason people are so polarized about the music they like and dislike is because we associate the bands and artists we get into at a younger age to our own identity.

The fact that dark and heavy music repulsed the people I hated made me wear it like social armor, and as with anything, the more I got into it the more I understood and appreciated different aspects and nuances. Death metal is still as much a part of my identity as my taste for food or clothing style. BUT, it's also important to me to keep as wide of a horizon as possible, so I really really try and give everything a chance and not dismiss it just because so and so people like it, or it seems different than I'm used to. And because of that, the world is a brighter and more diverse place for me to coexist in. But that's my own experience and it's not any more or less valid than anyone else's.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Back when I first got into metal as a youngster, I really hated death metal and thought it was crap, until the day I got into black metal and started to get used to harsh vocals and stuff. Once I got into Death (band), this is when I began to really enjoy some death metal. However, to this day, it is still the metal genre that I find the less attractive to me with some exceptions of course. I still don't like a lot of death metal bands and probably will never like them. The music needs to have something special that makes it unique, a lot of these bands just took the train and made some generic shit and all went to the same studio to sound alike. Most of these had like one good record and then went to shit real fast. I enjoy the authentic feeling to some of the music, but a lot of em is just trash.

11 hours ago, kalaeth said:

if I was going to pick one song I hate over any other it's gotta be Linkin Park's In The End. 

I find his voice annoying as f5ck, I hated the entire scene that showed up after them and that song was EVERYWHERE at the time.

That's one of my picks. What a terrible song to score the start of an ongoing struggle with depression. The last time I heard this song I had a gun in my hands, because I was at a gun range and their speakers played it for some godawful reason. I was actually reluctant to post the song because a lot of people here offered their condolences when the lead singer killed himself.

On a lighter note, I despise the two stereotypical wedding songs Lohengrin and Mendelssohn. If the link is correct, the songs in their proper context are not indicative of a happy ever after, so why invite bad juju by playing them at all? I also have a gut reaction where, when I hear a snippet of either song, my right hand wants to go to my left armpit to draw a nonexistent gun out of an imaginary underarm holster. Yeah, it's bizarre. I should include Canon in D to make it a terrible trio, but I associate it more with Christmas than weddings.

Speaking of which, Christmas music is barely bearable in-season (for me, after the fourth Thursday of November to Christmas YOU HEAR THAT ASSHOLE RETAILERS?!). At any other time? Fuck that noise entirely and double that for the 6 or 7 that are despised even in-season, two of which were posted.

Here, have some quarter-tone madness. Also, maybe I'm just really, really weird, but I actually love this whole album and it's one of my favorites. Perhaps I have unusual taste?

Edited by Blastfrog

8 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Do you include Melodic Death metal in that? Because I don't think that's particularly hard to get into. Straight up death metal, well, I've liked some stuff I've heard. I've liked some technical death metal stuff I've heard. I think it's a bit more interesting than say thrash but also still like thrash I find it a bit one dimensional. I mean in general, I seem to prefer progressive styles and combining different styles than generally music that sticks rigidly to its tradition. I'd say the one arguably straight death metal album I thought was pretty great was Therion's Beyond Sanctorum, I also quite liked Tiamat's The Astral Sleep. Even then, something like Symphony of the Dead saw that gothic and classical influences start to already appear that they would become well known for, and Tiamat also became a gothic band, and this was me going back and listening to those albums because I got into those bands later. I mean, I was 5 when The Astral Sleep came out. And not that you said this but Death metal tends to be the one people think of that they dismiss as noise but... not really, death metal's very precise usually, it's not a chaotic style. 

But yeah I like it most when it's used in tandem with melodies because the results are often very interesting to me, I like the contrast a great deal. Music with bipolarity makes my own inner turmoils make more sense I think. Extreme Progressive Metal is a more broad label I think that describes well what I like most nowadays. 

10 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I'll show you some classic death metal as an introduction, not everything in that genre is Cannibal Corpse! Here:

Liked it? Like others have said, its an acquired taste and just a very misunderstood genre in general. But if you are properly introduced to the genre, then everything becomes much easier to understand!

I think I'd like to contrast the classic examples above with how more recent examples of what can be done with death metal progressively. I came to this largely from liking progressive, power, gothic and symphonic metal, I think as much as it's kind of a shift it's still kind of understandable how one can go from the likes of Blind Guardian, Epica, Therion, Dream Theater, Symphony X etc. to stuff like this, it's both alike but also generally darker. 

It's tempting to put more but I'll stick with three as well. 

And liking Epica and Draconian probably acclimated me to growling vocals in general. 

8 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

This 3mins of ear cancer still remains one of the most irritating things I've ever heard in my life. Absolute garbage.

@Biodegradable I'm one of those people that always tries to understand someone preferences. I'll at least give everything a chance... but this? I'm sorry but I have to draw the line somewhere and this is absolutely where it starts. There is nothing good, tasteful, redeeming or any other word that might fit here about this trash. I'm still dumbfounded that there are people that actually listen to this and enjoy it. I get other types of music. I don't listen to rap, but I understand the effort put into the lyrics. Deathmetal doesn't really tickle my fancy, but the creativity required to make it is awesome. I think you get my point... 

To sum up my rambling, this is trash... end of story.     

WAP is the worst song to happen to mankind. One day, my dad found it because my sister programmed it on one of his spotify playlists (From Genesis to Cardi B. LoL) and I think he almost died. It is so dumb. And I'm not saying women can't rap, but the women rappers today are not people to look up to, and definitely not people with something good to say. They objectify themselves, and are making stereotypes we got rid of 100 years ago true. Same thing can be said for most pop singers (Britney Spears, Fergie)

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

If you can even call this music.

Reveal hidden contents

27 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

WAP is the worst song to happen to mankind. One day, my dad found it because my sister programmed it on one of his spotify playlists (From Genesis to Cardi B. LoL) and I think he almost died. It is so dumb. And I'm not saying women can't rap, but the women rappers today are not people to look up to, and definitely not people with something good to say. They objectify themselves, and are making stereotypes we got rid of 100 years ago true. Same thing can be said for most pop singers (Britney Spears, Fergie)

IMO the worst part about the song are the lyrics. They're the most degenerate, tasteless exploitative crap there is. There isn't a single drop of artistic merit even at Planck's scale. If I were to make a "Worst Literature Ever" thread or something like, that garbage would be for sure one of the first things I would mention.

51 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

My reaction to WAP

I'm actually starting to really regret posting all those classic death metal albums, they don't deserve being on same literal page as WAP.

Haha, I don't think WAP is that bad, nor does it objectify women. Musically it's not that interesting but I actually think the lyrics are well written and the premise of men being powerless to a WAP is humorous and sort of progressive. Sort of a boss lady power fantasy, no?

It sort of reminds me of this, but if I compare the two, WAP is much more competently written.

2 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

I actually think the lyrics are well written

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, you fucking with some wet ass pussy
Bring a bucket and a mop for this wet ass pussy
Give me everything you got for this wet ass pussy"

Wow, those are some truly "well-written" verses.

Bringing a bucket and a mop for this wet ass pussy is a good use of hyperbole, and serves to show the extent of how wet this ass pussy really is. I think it's funny. Also comparing "macaroni in a pot" to wet ass pussy just makes me laugh.

I mean it's not claiming to be as thought provoking as Time by Floyd but it's a nice and raunchy power fantasy and I think it's fun for what it is.

Also, I can't believe I'm actually defending a song called "Wet Ass Pussy".

45 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

Haha, I don't think WAP is that bad, nor does it objectify women. Musically it's not that interesting but I actually think the lyrics are well written and the premise of men being powerless to a WAP is humorous and sort of progressive. Sort of a boss lady power fantasy, no?

It sort of reminds me of this, but if I compare the two, WAP is much more competently written.

Short [REDACTED] Man is actually pretty hilarious for what it is. I'd pick it up over any modern rap songs. Also, there's this remix by an Indonesian DJ from the 2000's.

All music is great, even The Shaggs. Unlike you, I listen to songs made with real instruments.