Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

What Are The Worst Pieces Of Music You've Listened To?

Recommended Posts

Title says it all. What are the absolutely most horrid, godawful ear-piercing sounds you have ever listened to? To me, its a tie between kpop and one time I went to live event that played some elctronica where the bass almost liquified my eardrums. And of course there are also all those ear-rape video compilations, but they are made with a joke intent and I don't know if they count...

 

Oh, just one more thing: I actually don't mind the Crazy Bus main theme and the Sonic Spinball options music, both considered some of the worst crap ever put on a game cartridge. I don't find them enjoyable to listen, but they don't bother me too much at all, dunno why...

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, hybridial said:

Yellow Submarine.

 

/thread. 

Not gonna lie, even though I know already how well you hate the Beatles, this still made me smile!

 

And while on the topic of this band, while undoubtedly they changed music for the better, they also did this:

 

Share this post


Link to post

Argueably the worst album ever released... or a new kind of music we can't understand?
You decide, as for me, this one melt my brain after smoking it completely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Argueably the worst album ever released... or a new kind of music we can't understand?
You decide, as for me, this one melt my brain after smoking it completely.

 

Fun fact: this was one of Kurt Cobain's favorite albums of all time!

Share this post


Link to post

Anything playing on radio nowadays, it's always the same goddamn songs, sometimes good classic admittedly, but played ad nauseam to the point you stop being able to hear them any longer...

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Yellow Submarine.

 

/thread. 

 

I actually prefer that over that Maxwell's Silver Hammer song, which I find to be quite horrid.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I guess this? It would just be a funny and slightly cringe inducing song but the weird creepy energy Axl injects at the midway just takes it over the top.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, a whole level of the game is nothing but this.

(Edit: And to add insult to injury, this is what they changed it to in the US release, while the Japanese version had a different and better track on this level.  WHY???)

Share this post


Link to post

Once while stumbling across the internet looking for some quality breakcore and the like, I came across this wonderful gem. Unfortunately there's no YouTube link but take a gander if you're curious (esp. around the halfway mark). I think this song classifies as "harsh noise" and is definitely deserving of the moniker. It's an "audio experience," to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post

The guy mentioning Yellow Submarine obviously has no taste.

Just listen to these beautiful spherical harmonics provided by the instrumenta obscura, the guitar synthesizer used by Xynfonica:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

The guy mentioning Yellow Submarine obviously has no taste.

 

No Redneckerz it's been blatantly obvious to me for some time now you have no taste :P

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, hybridial said:

 

No Redneckerz it's been blatantly obvious to me for some time now you have no taste :P

Try listening to the above song and compare it to Yellow BlubBlub.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Redneckerz said:

Try listening to the above song and compare it to Yellow BlubBlub.

 

That piece is experimental and deliberately trying to be atonal. However it still has interesting aspects to its structure, and honestly the vocals don't bother me too much. I rather like vocals on the lower register, I've definitely heard much better but I can kinda appreciate what it's aiming for here. Put it this way, I made it through all 9 minutes and 51 seconds of it, which isn't really long to me as I like long songs, but it says a lot given I will fucking walk out the room immediately the moment I hear that first note of Yellow Submarine. 

 

You could probably find something that I would find even more offensive to my ears if you looked. See, I have never looked for that, its why it is quite honestly the answer to the question as asked, since it comes down to what I have heard, and now that I've heard the song you linked, no. I don't really like it exactly but I don't hate it more than Yellow Submarine. And I've heard of a lot of bad pop that I do not like but I've not heard anything quite as grating as Yellow Submarine, and at least part of my disdain for it is the fact that "anyone" will try and advocate for it as if it isn't complete fucking trash and I have nothing to say to those people other than to say hanging would be too good for them :P

Share this post


Link to post

And I get called immature for hating Bioshock 2? Anyways, Yellow Submarine is a fine song. Long live The Beatles. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, hybridial said:

 

That piece is experimental and deliberately trying to be atonal. However it still has interesting aspects to its structure, and honestly the vocals don't bother me too much. I rather like vocals on the lower register, I've definitely heard much better but I can kinda appreciate what it's aiming for here. Put it this way, I made it through all 9 minutes and 51 seconds of it, which isn't really long to me as I like long songs, but it says a lot given I will fucking walk out the room immediately the moment I hear that first note of Yellow Submarine. 

But what exactly ticks you off on Yellow Submarine in particular? Whereas Xynfonica sounds like indeed, a experimental excercise in unusual soundscapes (And near-random mashing of harmonics), the former is far easier to listen on the ears because its just... music

 

4 minutes ago, hybridial said:

And I've heard of a lot of bad pop that I do not like but I've not heard anything quite as grating as Yellow Submarine, and at least part of my disdain for it is the fact that "anyone" will try and advocate for it as if it isn't complete fucking trash and I have nothing to say to those people other than to say hanging would be too good for them :P

Even as a cynical joke, i find this rather poor in taste.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Ajora said:

And I get called immature for hating Bioshock 2? Anyways, Yellow Submarine is a fine song. Long live The Beatles. 

 

Yeah like @Redneckerz you have horrible taste. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, hybridial said:

 

Yeah like @Redneckerz you have horrible taste. 

I initially never said anything about Yellow Submarine yet you came in jokingly stating that i have no taste for no apparent reason.

Is this one of your random attempts to pick a discussion or?
 

12 hours ago, Ajora said:

My taste is awesome and The Beatles are impeccable. 

''Sponsored by Wendy's''

Edited by Redneckerz

Share this post


Link to post

Well, it would be easy to get into a no u argument, but

 

this is completely your fault @Redneckerz for being the one who brings judging other people's taste into it. It was not me, I just said Yellow Submarine is the worst piece of music I've ever heard. That's all I said. And yeah, it doesn't matter if it was a joke because you hassle me about that all the time so you're not getting off on it. 

 

As for my tendency to be pretty harsh in my jokes, well, it's not literally true but one can sometimes only accurately express their level of disdain with hyperbole. Like I want to make clear, there is no argument to be made that will in anyway sway me on this and I would say just save your breath. 

 

If you want to know why though, hearing Yellow Submarine is like hearing nails on a chalkboard. Why this is I don't quite know. But it does revolt me, it repulses me. I will say something like it where it's got a clear beat but I hate the beat is always going to be worse to me than something that's experimental and deliberately not trying to be a standard listenable song, because that isn't making the case that you should enjoy listening to it from the outset. 

Share this post


Link to post

Title music for the (much loved!) ZX Spectrum game "Manic Miner," an arrangement of Strauss's "Blue Danube" :

 

 

 

I genuinely think it might be the worst videogame music ever, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Ajora said:

No, this is definitely worse: 

I mean, it's terrible, and only borderline classifiable as music, but at least it consists of recognisable notes rather than atonal screeching

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Well, it would be easy to get into a no u argument, but

 

this is completely your fault @Redneckerz for being the one who brings judging other people's taste into it. It was not me, I just said Yellow Submarine is the worst piece of music I've ever heard. That's all I said.

Which is, like usual, rather hyperbolic. Why you felt the need to fling at me for having no taste, no idea.

16 minutes ago, hybridial said:

And yeah, it doesn't matter if it was a joke because you hassle me about that all the time so you're not getting off on it. 

So this is about some kind of payback for previous times? Grow up.

16 minutes ago, hybridial said:

If you want to know why though, hearing Yellow Submarine is like hearing nails on a chalkboard. Why this is I don't quite know. But it does revolt me, it repulses me. I will say something like it where it's got a clear beat but I hate the beat is always going to be worse to me than something that's experimental and deliberately not trying to be a standard listenable song, because that isn't making the case that you should enjoy listening to it from the outset. 

So you once more have something you utterly disdain with extreme hyperbole but you can't quite eloquently explain why that is.

Please explain me how this adds value to your words.

To stay in topic, i dislike Las Ketchup. But not because of the song. Rather, the dance that comes along with it:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Because Yellow Submarine is grating to me.

 

That's a fact. I'm not a musician, I'm not versed that well in the science of it, or the terminology, asking me to explain it is not that fair, any more than trying to explain why I hate any given item of food. I hate the taste. With Yellow Submarine I hate everything about how it sounds. I hate the vocals, I hate the notes, I hate the choice of instrument to play those notes, I hate the lyrics, I hate the atmosphere it creates, I hate hearing it. There's not much substance to it so is there even much to say? 

 

And the thing is, I dislike the Beatles, I don't think every single song by them is actually bad, so it's not simply because they did the song. Yellow Submarine is just fucking awful.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

It feels weird as hell to gatekeep bad music but honestly if the worst things you can come up with are the fucking Beatles or whatever modern pop songs you dislike, then you all need to find some actual bad music, like something that literally hurts to listen to.

 

On an unrelated note, my original post still stands as my personal choice, but I recently rediscovered this, which probably amuses me more than it should. Don't take this one too seriously.

Spoiler

 

 

Edited by Spie812

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×