Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrillsTheLizard

Moody lighting with zdoom/gzdoom.

Question

I've been trying to get some moody lighting done with my new map that uses zdoom/gzdoom but it's been a pain with gzdooms software/sector lighting. Here are some screenshots of the map.

Screenshot_Doom_20200914_150718.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200914_150724.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200914_150733.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200914_150743.png

Edited by FrillsTheLizard : pic

4 answers to this question

7 hours ago, FrillsTheLizard said:

I've been trying to get some moody lighting done with my new map that uses zdoom/gzdoom but it's been a pain with gzdooms software/sector lighting.

I'm a little unclear on what your question is. Are you asking for how you can make your light/shadows more interesting (specifically in software mode)? If so, consider using gradient lighting. This is where sectors closer to a source of light are brighter, and successive sectors get dimmer the farther away they are from the light source. Check out some of the images on the Going Down mod web-page to see what I mean. 

To add more options to what I suggested, you can also consider the following features of ZDooM:

1. Transfer_CeilingLight and Transfer_FloorLight allow the use of shadows in a more realistic manner.

2. ExtraFloor_LightOnly allows vertical gradient lighting. [For example, in a well the upper portions of the well shaft are better lit than the lower portions.]

15 hours ago, ReX said:

I'm a little unclear on what your question is. Are you asking for how you can make your light/shadows more interesting (specifically in software mode)? If so, consider using gradient lighting. This is where sectors closer to a source of light are brighter, and successive sectors get dimmer the farther away they are from the light source. Check out some of the images on the Going Down mod web-page to see what I mean. 

Bingo, i find how the lighting is basically just a darker color really annoying. I'll make sure to give those methods a try and see how they look with my map.

4 hours ago, ReX said:

To add more options to what I suggested, you can also consider the following features of ZDooM:

1. Transfer_CeilingLight and Transfer_FloorLight allow the use of shadows in a more realistic manner.

2. ExtraFloor_LightOnly allows vertical gradient lighting. [For example, in a well the upper portions of the well shaft are better lit than the lower portions.]

Actually I figured out a diff solution. Just use sector color stuff to make it look properly dark.