Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moo Moo Armageddon

The Varginha Incident Remake? (ON HOLD)

what if someone remade The Varginha Incident (AKA: Alien Anarchy) 

(i can't because the only doom level editor for mac is Eureka and I'm pretty sure Eureka can't do room on room or slopes) 

EDIT: turn out Eureka can 3d floors and slopes! i am now going to remake The Varghina Incident! here's proof:

121591781_ScreenShot2020-09-15at11_14_47AM.png.d05b78d50c99848d10302cba34c49856.png

edit2: I am putting this project on hold for now. i am working on stuff non doom related 

Edited by horse music : the project is on hold

3 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Consider it done.

Do you also have a team, funds, PR, math knowledge at your disposal?

i mean have you looked at Alien Anarchy?

here's a vid: 

edit: I should of said that someone should remake The Varginha Incident in doom lol

6 hours ago, horse music said:

i mean have you looked at Alien Anarchy?

here's a vid: 

edit: I should of said that someone should remake The Varginha Incident in doom lol

I did. That's why i asked. Remaking anything is not as easy as you put it.

Start small, don't worry about levels yet, just try getting sprites and textures and put them in basic Doom levels.

That can be done with a mac.  And looking at the design in the game it doesn't have to be a 1:1 conversion.  With just the sprites and textures and changes to enemy behavior I think a possible homage can be made.

I saw a vid of this recently and it's story was unique and interesting.  It would be cool to see this remade in Doom.

1 hour ago, CrbnBased said:

Start small, don't worry about levels yet, just try getting sprites and textures and put them in basic Doom levels.

this is great advice! but in my own process, I make a sandbox then get the sprites 

its easier for me to test weapons and enemies 

I think that it would be too challenging. That game is fairly advanced for its time, even if it’s underrated. I think you’d be better off trying to make a mod that is inspired by this game, not a full blown remake, and I would much rather see a reverse engineered source port of this game than for it to just be a mod. 

Edit: With that said, take a look at the old ZOMBIES TC from the late 90s for Doom II. Yeah, it’s old as hell and probably not the best example, but if it was possible for a small German team of friends to essentially make a Dawn of the Dead video game on their own, then there’s no reason you couldn’t get something like this game done as a big mod. It will be hard and take a lot of work. I don’t think it’s worth making a mod that is a carbon copy of the game though. I think the engine used is part of what makes that game interesting, but reverse engineering a source port of your own goes way beyond making a mod. Just think about it. If you’re truly passionate about this, don’t let anyone stop you. 

Edited by Gerolf

52 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

I think you’d be better off trying to make a mod that is inspired by this game, not a full blown remake

i am litterly doing that how did you know? xdxdx

But For Real, I have never played Alien Anarchy and I don't want to. i just want to take the idea of "dude tries to save aliens from government" and make it decent. kinda like that Operation: Body Count Remake/Sequel

People jokingly asked me to remake this game in GZDoom, and I find the idea fun. Specially given that I could literally travel to Varginha (5 hours away from my home), get more realistic details of the town, and locate the developer (which is rumored to still be alive and teaching game design) to negotiate such remake with him.

But unfortunately I got my hands full with my own game right now.

4 hours ago, Gerolf said:

That game is fairly advanced for its time, even if it’s underrated.

You realize it was released the same year as Half Life, right? It was by no means advanced for its time.

1 minute ago, horse music said:

gzdoom supports 3d floors and slopes

example:

710092935_ScreenShot2020-09-15at11_14_47AM.png.3f1b4c466aa611081bd95d23b2ae9db5.png

i realized right after I posted that I didn't think of gzdoom lol

57 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

You realize it was released the same year as Half Life, right? It was by no means advanced for its time.

I thought this game came out earlier than that, but still. It’s more advanced than vanilla Doom. The engine looks to be more akin to the BUILD engine. Obviously, it isn’t more advanced than HL, but it is more advanced than just being able to rip the assets and maps and plop it into GZDoom and call it a day. It will take a lot more work to make a carbon copy of this game onto a different engine than that, hence why I said a mod inspired by the game is a better approach. 

Just now, Gerolf said:

The engine looks to be more akin to the BUILD engine. 

fun fact: the engine used for The Varginha Incident was called ACKNEX 3D. it was also used for Hades 2 and Angst: Rahz Revenge

2 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

It will take a lot more work to make a carbon copy of this game onto a different engine than that, hence why I said a mod inspired by the game is a better approach. 

that's what I'm doing. it would be hard to rip the sprites and stuff but everything looks ugly so whats the point of ripping them

Truth be told, that game is a total dumpster fire. If you really want to make a Varginha incident mod/game, you would have to change a lot of things to make it a good game. I think the best approach is to take the basic idea of the game and then create(recreate) the game around that idea.

40 minutes ago, horse music said:

it would be hard to rip the sprites and stuff but everything looks ugly so whats the point of ripping them

Yeah most of the sprites are not worth to rip. Better off just borrowing from elsewhere or creating sprites yourself.

35 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Yeah most of the sprites are not worth to rip. Better off just borrowing from elsewhere or creating sprites yourself.

that reminds me, didn't Redneck Rampage have grey aliens somewhere?

52 minutes ago, horse music said:

that reminds me, didn't Redneck Rampage have grey aliens somewhere?

I can't find any greys but there are a few aliens in it for sure.

8 minutes ago, horse music said:

I think it was in one of the expansion packs

In terms of the monsters I don't think there is anything of a grey variety, but maybe in the level decoration there could have been something.

Just now, Eric Claus said:

In terms of the monsters I don't think there is anything of a grey variety, but maybe in the level decoration there could have been something.

im pretty sure in like a motorcycle secret level you can see them walking around 

On 9/14/2020 at 4:49 PM, horse music said:

what if someone remade The Varginha Incident (AKA: Alien Anarchy) 

(i can't because the only doom level editor for mac is Eureka and I'm pretty sure Eureka can't do room on room or slopes) 

EDIT: turn out Eureka can 3d floors and slopes! i am now going to remake The Varghina Incident! here's proof:

121591781_ScreenShot2020-09-15at11_14_47AM.png.d05b78d50c99848d10302cba34c49856.png

Damn, I wish you the best my guy, but I hope you introduce QoL improvements to make the game better, either way, Look forward to this!

3 hours ago, Gerolf said:

I thought this game came out earlier than that, but still. It’s more advanced than vanilla Doom. The engine looks to be more akin to the BUILD engine. Obviously, it isn’t more advanced than HL, but it is more advanced than just being able to rip the assets and maps and plop it into GZDoom and call it a day. It will take a lot more work to make a carbon copy of this game onto a different engine than that, hence why I said a mod inspired by the game is a better approach. 

I honestly don't see much that can't be done in GZ, Slopes, 3D models, Room-over-room, Scrolling floors will prolly be made pretty nicely.

18 hours ago, Mr. Jar (aka: Nelguy) said:

I honestly don't see much that can't be done in GZ, Slopes, 3D models, Room-over-room, Scrolling floors will prolly be made pretty nicely.

It isn’t that it can’t be done with GZDoom. It certainly could, but as far as I can tell it would require someone to essentially remake the entire game from the ground up. I don’t know of any level editor or map viewer program for this game, I don’t think there’s a way to export the art and sound either. So it would take a lot more effort than it’s worth right now. 

HUGE UPDATE!: i added the MP5 Special (please tell me who made the sprite i will credit them)

screen shots:

758249383_ScreenShot2020-09-16at3_16_28PM.png.c700d5c90edf0cfae26230ee133a4fd7.png

I need to fix this sprite. it doesn't look right

2098379117_ScreenShot2020-09-16at3_16_45PM.png.2fe9698d00081e521e06e97a97a9e6c1.png

reminds me of half life

1019153417_ScreenShot2020-09-16at3_16_59PM.png.5f82bdde3aada227210537fc5f782440.png

nazi

728707177_ScreenShot2020-09-16at3_17_08PM.png.af8a6201bbb55ccaba94cd723541f072.png

dead nazi

On 9/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, Gerolf said:

It isn’t that it can’t be done with GZDoom. It certainly could, but as far as I can tell it would require someone to essentially remake the entire game from the ground up. I don’t know of any level editor or map viewer program for this game, I don’t think there’s a way to export the art and sound either. So it would take a lot more effort than it’s worth right now. 

Oh, so that's what you meant, yeah, you're right, @horse music must look at levels VERY carefully if he wants to remake some levels, huh.