Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
david_a

Live! problems

I gather the SB Live! is a fairly popular card, so maybe someone else here will have some info on this.

I installed that fancy 64MB SilverSpring soundfont that's supposed to be good for old midi games, but it sounds like trash in Doom. Whenever a lot of stuff is going on in a song, it just turns into a mess of static. This is not dependant on the source port used. I figure this is a hardware/software problem with pinnacle of modern electronics *COUGH*, the Live! card.

Does anyone else have this problem, or has anyone got a fix for it?

BTW, since I have about 500 other reasons to dislike this card, I was thinking of buying one of the Philips Edge cards. Anybody have any experience with these?

PS - SilverSpring can be downloaded here: http://shipyard.levels4you.com/silverspring/

I'm using it and it sounds just fine.

Are you using the latest drivers for your OS? Check creative.com to make sure.

Pfft, I used SilverSpring on my SB LIVE! and it sounded fine, I used it to conver the Strife and TNT Evilution midis to mp3s and it worked fine (except with a few midis, but I had other soundfonts)

The NT drivers are for from this year, the 9x drivers are two years old. I dual boot between a stripped down 9x for games and 2k for everything else, so I didn't notice that. I guess I'll try the latest 2K drivers and see if it sounds any different... I wouldn't be surprised if Creative abandonded the 9x drivers; I owned a PCI64 before and the final drivers were marked "Beta3."

i have that card too, no problems here. make sure the settings are correct and the drivers are all installed and working. also try updateing direct x, that may help.

The new 2K drivers don't have a problem with MIDI at all. I guess it's just something that's hosed with either Creative's 9x drivers or my 98 setup, which isn't very surprising. Now I'm stuck trying to get my scrollwheel to work with games in 2K (I can't make it scroll smooth in programs unless I set MouseWare to "Office compatible scroll" or whatever, but then the wheel doesn't work in games). One fix I read was to disable scrolling in MouseWare and set it up in TweakUI instead, but that part is greyed out in my TweakUI. Figures.

Oh, and is there a fix for 2K changing the system colors after ZDoom is run? (I don't think it does this if the colors are left default, but that doesn't help me much)

I recently bought a Live! last weekend and it works fine, except for a couple minor problems I've noticed:

1. The sound gets distorted when there are too many sounds playing at once especially when having the volume and bass/treble settings too high. My guess is that this is normal.

2. The digital sampling of bowed glass sounds awful at certain notes and volumes (at least over here anyway) and can really ruin the quality of midis using the instrument. For example: E1M3 - Dark Halls and MM2 - Anger's Reprise.

david_a said:

Oh, and is there a fix for 2K changing the system colors after ZDoom is run? (I don't think it does this if the colors are left default, but that doesn't help me much)

Shouldn't be happening at all. Are you using 1.22 or the latest 2.0 betas?

Actually it's not just ZDoom, it's every Doom port. Other games probably do this too, but I never run any in 2K.

After some more wrangling with the mouse, my mouse wheel has totally stopped working. Funderful!

[edit - for some reason MouseWare wouldn't uninstall cleanly unless I installed it again (typicical windows thing). So, uh, my mouse works now]

lol

Good hardware, bad drivers. Fortunately the hardware works just fine without the drivers in my case.

i have some shity ass via soundcard in this laptop, it would not work with anything but winXP for a long ass time. then drivers for other OS's were released. so for a while i had to deal with no sound. but these last few things i have FINALY gotten everything to work, seeing that drivers were finaly written