Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorogrimm

What does GZ in GZDoom mean?

17 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Anyway, I don't think this has been mentioned, but on the actual topic, I think it was ZDoomGL, then was changed to GZDoom as time went on? A proper port historian can correct me on this.

ZDoomGL was a different project by a different person.

Or perhaps I should say by two different person. Kokak forked ZDoom to make ZDoomGL, then went on to do other things. Then Timmie forked ZDoom anew to make ZDoomGL again, using the same name even though it was unrelated to the previous ZDoomGL.

Off topic question, does anyone know where is Graf Zahl’s avatar is from?

That bird looks really, really familiar and has been eating away at the back of my mind for weeks :-P Feel like it might be from a mid 2000’s “duck hunt” type game I used to play but might be wrong?!?

4 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

It's from Moorhun Invasion.

Awesome! Thanks so much :-D

Just googled that and man that brings back some nostalgic memories :-D Going to see if I can find a copy now :-P

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Anyway, I don't think this has been mentioned, but on the actual topic, I think it was ZDoomGL, then was changed to GZDoom as time went on? A proper port historian can correct me on this.

Gez is the master of history and has already provided the proper answer, as confusing as it is. ZDoomGL did use the ZDoom codebase, much like how GZDoom uses it. The OGL rendering is completely different though, and arrived earlier than Graf's

Both versions are wildly different from one another, but they both share a common legacy: They are buggy

Despite this, that didn't stop them from being used: Skulltag used ZDoomGL as its 3D renderer (Timmie's version) and ScoreDoom was based off Skulltag 98C2, which is a build with ZDoomGL support. Altogether, ZDoomGL lasted till about 2013 in some shape or form.

The primary reason Timmie's version died off was performance: In similar scenes, ZDoomGL only performed half as good as GZDoom did. So a scene in GZDoom would run at 50 fps, and that exact same scene would turn in 25 fps in ZDoomGL. Optimization was not the best feature of the latter ZDoomGL.

This is still apparent in the latest ScoreDoomST that i tried from 2013 - Compared to a Skulltag build with GZDoom rendering, the latter literally flies on my garbage rig (Granted, GZDoom in Skulltag used older OpenGL api's). But ScoreDoomST with ZDoomGL puts in far more strain on CPU and GPU with significantly less performance.

Both versions had some unique traits too:

• Kokak's version heavily banked on models to improve the look, but its implementation was not very stable.
  • Timmie's version was heavily focussed on eyecandy. The latest versions incorporated a Quake 3 esque ''shader'' system, that would make various new graphic effects possible through multitexturing. Sadly it was never used much.

All in all a interesting legacy. The latter ZDoomGL i feel was never exploited fully well, but it arrived at a time when shaders were becoming predominant - even for GZDoom. 

2 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Also, at different times I've in my head pronounced it "Graf Zahl Doom", "Gez Doom", and "Grazza Doom" as it took me forever to learn these 3 were different people, before two of them had avatars.

forgetting Doomsday is a bannable offense imo.

Doomkid to me is now just SomeKidIdk

Lets not forget Boomsday (Which became Risen3D) which was Doomsday based. :P

3 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

forgetting Doomsday is a bannable offense imo.

Doomkid to me is now just SomeKidIdk

To be honest, Doomsday hasn't been a "big player" since like 2006-ish. So I don't blame Doomkid for forgetting to mention that port.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

To be honest, Doomsday hasn't been a "big player" since like 2006-ish. So I don't blame Doomkid for forgetting to mention that port.

Which is kind of odd. It might not be as moddable as GZDoom or accurate as Chocolate but it still is a solid port. I still very much prefer how it handles dynamic lights compared to GZDoom.

13 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

It was the first source port I played so I'm needlessly nostalgic for it.

Also it seems Romero hasn't forgotten about it.

23 minutes ago, Thermal Lance said:

Which is kind of odd. It might not be as moddable as GZDoom or accurate as Chocolate but it still is a solid port. I still very much prefer how it handles dynamic lights compared to GZDoom.

Then you may just take up the latest standalone JDoom release and compare it to Doom on Doomsday. A lot of stuff from pre-Doomsday regarding rendering is in JDoom still.*

* Not everything though, the fancy radiosity lighting i believe is a Doomsday thing.

7 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Doomsday was actually the first time I'd played Doom with a source port around '09/10. Thought it was the tits until I tried ZDoom and then naturally moved to GZDoom. I really love the improved lighting effects in Doomsday but I prefer the extended mod support and engine additions in GZDoom which Doomsday doesn't have. Doomsday's 3D model support never really interested me because the models weren't good enough.

It was the first one I used as well, but I think it was more for Heretic because I bought it on steam and realised the default DOS version was awful to play with.

I was kind of under the impression Doomsday was a little "shunned" within the Doom community but it seems that there's a fair few of us who back it. Cool :)

I haven't played it in years, but I remember it fondly for kickstarting my "Doom renaissance" after a few years away after Doom 3. I've never left again so props to Doomsday for bringing me back to my childhood :D

On 9/16/2020 at 8:38 AM, DuckReconMajor said:

I was going to make a post about how "Zed-doom" is much harder on the tongue than "Zee-doom" thus the latter is the superior pronounciation. 

Even though I secretly hate how m'america pronounces 'z', I can never get behind calling it "zed doom"

No one double-crosses Lord Zedd and lives!

450?cb=20090723022335

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

No one double-crosses Lord Zedd and lives!

450?cb=20090723022335

Lord Zedd source port when?

Edit: Actually we have LZDoom...that's Lord Zedd doom now.

1 hour ago, Eric Claus said:

Lord Zedd source port when?

Edit: Actually we have LZDoom...that's Lord Zedd doom now.

I'd love it if on April 1st the icon changed to his head.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:46 AM, Doomkid said:

Can't believe I forgot that one. I always thought that was a good name (And JDoom was a good name too, for similar reasons to ZDoom.)

On the note of 3D model based ports, Risen3D is one I've always been torn about. It's a pretty sweet name, but for some reason it doesn't evoke Doom for me despite that.

Great now I want to know where the j in jdoom comes from. Does anybody know please?

On 9/16/2020 at 10:38 PM, DuckReconMajor said:

Also, at different times I've in my head pronounced it "Graf Zahl Doom", "Gez Doom", and "Grazza Doom" as it took me forever to learn these 3 were different people, before two of them had avatars.

Here’s an old post I made on the subject,

30 minutes ago, bfredric said:

Great now I want to know where the j in jdoom comes from. Does anybody know please?

Hmm.. You know, I never actually asked that question before, oddly.. I’m not sure! As a guess, maybe J was the developer’s first initial?

zdoom:zoltan doom

gzdoom:goatse zoltan doom

lzdoom:lamer zoltan doom

qzdoom:quiefing zoltan doom

zdoomgl:zoltan doom gets laid

all hail zoltan

jdoom:joke doom

Edited by CBM

16 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Hmm.. You know, I never actually asked that question before, oddly.. I’m not sure! As a guess, maybe J was the developer’s first initial?

From what I remember (since I played jDoom/Doomsday back in the day), this is the correct explanation - the port's author is Jaakko "skyjake" Keränen.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:13 AM, Doomkid said:

I will say though that ZDoom still has the best source port name out of them all:

Sorry, but the best name was already chosen when TNT called their port... Boom. Just brilliant.

You’re absolutely right. Boom is just such an engrained aspect of Doom’s history that I somehow forgot to even count it when thinking about source ports.. A case of something being so obvious that it’s missed. Such a great name that says all you need to know!

On 9/18/2020 at 5:19 AM, InDOOMnesia said:

Here's the DoomWiki.org page on Doomsday (with a history from its jDoom era).

Digging through DoomWorld history, JDoom was a really popular port till 2002-2003 or so. Many found the visual fidelity an eye catcher, sort to say.

Its only when it went the modularized approach offered by Doomsday that its popularity waned. But JDoom has had a great history.

Personally because of this i think the J-Ports should be seperated from prior their inclusion as Doomsday, but hey.

Useless trivia: Risen3D originates from Doomsday, as a port called Boomsday.

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Nobody else pronounces it JizzDoom?

Brutal, savage, rekt, etc...

I like... 'Eternidoomagine' as a replacement name for 'Eternity Engine'

-positively rolls off the tongue!

-has 'Doom' in the title!

-best I could do on short notice!

-same number of syllables as 'Eternity Engine', but now has 'Doom' in the title!

-combines the words 'Eternity' and 'Engine' into one smooth, "easy-to-say" word... which, interestingly, also has 'Doom' in the title!

-I'm here all night folks!

-Really appreciate all these amazing coders and developers so I can keep playing all those wads I love!

-'Doom' also has 'Doom' in the title. So there is another connection!

-Something!

-Idk!

-This thread was super interesting, coz I have used many of these ports over the years!

-I'm done!