Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mberrios

What should I run Doom 64 on?

I'm sure this has been asked before but how should I run Doom 64? I have it through steam, should I run it through that or is there any source port I should use?

The steam port of Doom 64 is one of the best ports of it out there. Plus other source ports won't typically run it because they don't fully support its gradient lighting system and macros.

Steam source port is pretty good I guess, depends on your vision of "how games should be played".

I honestly tried to play Doom64 many years ago through a Nintendo64 emulator, but it just wasn't great. Maybe my slow computer didn't help much on that purpose, but I just played some minutes and I hated it, and Doom64 is such a masterpiece that it doesn't deserve that impression.

I played through the whole game on TC like Doom64 Retribution (IIRC) and I loved it. And the Steam one is pretty much very similar. There may be some minor inconveniences with key bindings, sensibility and such compared to the former option, but apart from that, it's pretty much the same for me.

Like others said the new re-release should be good enough, and you get an extra episode with it, but you can also use Doom 64 Retribution if you want some new GZDoom additions and enhancements like smoother weapons. it has slightly different lighting but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I actually prefer Doom 64 EX. The Steam official port you have to sit through 30 seconds of unskippable logos whereas EX boots in an instant. Options and gameplay are pretty identical considering the guy who made EX developed the official port for Bethesda/Id anyways

1 hour ago, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

The Steam official port you have to sit through 30 seconds of unskippable logos

Add "-skipmovies" to the launch options.

If you have the Steam version, use that. Otherewise there are some good source ports  Doom 64 retribution being one of them..

There is nothing wrong on the steam version of Doom 64, yes some people will tell you "It is crap!! the only way to play Doom 64 is on real hardware with  on a Sony Trinitron, that was made betweeen 1994 and 1999, because pre 1994 models don't have that N64 felling and pre 1999 are just too new.  Also the stick of the N64 controller should broken which was a common issue back. That's how you should do it, otherwise you are not doing it right!!".