Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

What do y'all think is the best song of all time?

I don’t know about best ever, but this one’s magical to me like no other. The melancholic bliss of it. It tells a very rich story that can be interpreted in many ways - at least I don’t personally take it to be about California in specific or hotels in general, certainly not about a mix of the two. Guess it’s about the lure of dreamlike ambitions or something for me, it occupies the same space as favorite Twilight Zone episode would. Can’t stand The Eagles in general, but this is expert craftsmanship in mystery & atmosphere.

45 minutes ago, M_W said:

hell yes... I love The System. So underrated yet they inspired so many artist that would become more popular than them. You can also see where MJ got his look for BAD. 

4 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

Cygnet Committee by David Bowie:

Tastes change over time, but this song blew my mind the first time I heard it, lodged itself firmly in my head, and has never left. It's so good.

Pleased to hear this song mentioned, seems strangely overlooked even by David Bowie fans. It’s a personal favourite of mine too, great epic song, even though I find it a little depressing.

I am very fond of my many different songs for many different reasons, but I would unhesitatingly say this song if you forced me to name a specific one. Not only is it compositionally superb (the switch from Cm to Eb major as the lyrics get more positive, simple to do but oh so effective in lifting the song as it moves into the chorus) but it is positive and powerful. The kind of song that can pick you up on a bad day. And it's capacity to bring people to bring people together to sing along is amazing is the icing on the cake, as this ultimate performance at Live Aid demonstrates. Have seen them live twice with Adam Lambert and it is an experience like no other to hear all those voices singing together. I define truly great songs as those which make you feel the same way every time you listen to it. I have heard this song thousands of times, and it still gives me chills.

@Soundblock fine choice. Saw the Eagles live a couple of years ago. As soon as that lone trumpet opened up I turned to my lady and said "Here we go" and hit record on my phone to capture this song. Great performance and show.

Edited by Murdoch

One of my absolute favorites as far as music for DOOM wads is concerned has got to be this music from 2002: A Doom Odyssey:

I have a lot of favorites, but this is for me the best piece of music EVER created. I have cried of ecstasy many times with this song. If life, love or death could be made into a song, I think it would be this one. And yes, this is the single song that beats them all and yes it is better that any other piece of music that I've ever listened (and I like Pink Floyd and Zappa). I love it so much that I listen to it only once every six months or so, or in important dates like my birthday. Someday I would like to do mushrooms and listen to this one under the influence. Now that would be something big. If this song would be a person, I would die for this person.

Edited by nostalgia

Such proposals are rather preposterous in essence. Nevertheless, I presume this is an exemplary circumstance regarding personal intrinsic properties:

I'm a big fan of electronic musicians Jean Michel Jarre and Simon Posford and they have been big influences to my own music so it is very hard to choose a favorite. Also like Infected Mushroom, Metallica, Bob Marley, the list goes on and on. There are many best songs of all time, it really depends on our taste.  I cannot make my mind up.

I've heard so many pieces of music in life that I thought answering a question like this is simply impossible.

But then I remembered Jerry Goldsmith.

Hurt - Johnny cash

Moves me me every time I hear it. The pain in his voice makes it even better than the original NIN version.

Even Trent Reznor of NIN said after hearing it "I realized it wasn't really my song anymore. It just gave me goose bumps up and down my spine. It's an unbelievably powerful piece of work.”