Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boojum snark

Removing preexisting maps from wad

Yo

Working on a little thing, based off the super awesome Resurgence megawad for those sweet textures and Affits. I'm replacing the original maps as it goes, but am only planning on a 12 map wad, and I'm having trouble figuring out how you delete the "extra" original maps in Slade 3. Any help (or a gin and tonic,  lemon, not fekkin' cucumber) would be appreciated.

I'm not very experienced with Doom editing, but it sounds like you'd be better off making a whole new WAD and manually inserting the textures you want to it. The custom enemy would probably be a similar process but I haven't touched actors at all so I couldn't offer any advice.

But all that said, I'm not familiar with Resurgence, does its author(s) permit reusing their content in this manner? I feel like that's kind of an important thing to know before you use someone else's assets.

41 minutes ago, boojum snark said:

Yo

Working on a little thing, based off the super awesome Resurgence megawad for those sweet textures and Affits. I'm replacing the original maps as it goes, but am only planning on a 12 map wad, and I'm having trouble figuring out how you delete the "extra" original maps in Slade 3. Any help (or a gin and tonic,  lemon, not fekkin' cucumber) would be appreciated.

Because of the clause in the text file, you may only do this for your own purposes.

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or
reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of
their resources modified or included in this file.

You, therefore, are not allowed to publish your map, if you use any of the Resurgence contents.

But, for your own amusement and practice using Slade3 ....

It would be a lot easier if you just copy/pasted TEXTURE1 and PNAMES into your pwad.

Then highlight everything fromi P_START to P_END (including the P_ markers) and copy/paste into your pwad. Then do the same with the flats, F_ markers.

[edit]

Though, not all is lost yet.

While REALM667 is down, there are a lot of texture packs available on AFTERGLOW

Edited by Kappes Buur

Dang, thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot to check if it was "legal", as I so often do in life...

I'll redo the thing with open textures, thank the gods I only got to map 3, shouldn't take to long, plus a lot of them originate from free-to-use packs.

The thing I'm wondering is that I was thinking of using a MIDI track from Resurgence that's actually an unmodified track from Blood, I find it amusing that I can't use a file from a wad that was ripped from an actual video game you have to buy with money...

Anyways thanks for the tips and resources, I'll buy you a gin and tonic if I ever get the chance

Kudos

Most of Resurgence resources can be found elsewhere if you dig deep enough. The best you can always do is ask for permission, most mappers are friendly and allow for stuff reuse or at least points you out from where they took those resources. I remember, there were instances where people built their maps and asked to load that specific megawad alongside, if my memory is right there was mapset called "Return to Daro", which needs STRAIN.wad and STRAIN.deh run alongside to make content to work. But yeah, better ask for permission or at least ask from where people took those resources. 

7 hours ago, boojum snark said:

The thing I'm wondering is that I was thinking of using a MIDI track from Resurgence that's actually an unmodified track from Blood, I find it amusing that I can't use a file from a wad that was ripped from an actual video game you have to buy with money...

If you want to use the MIDI track from Blood, you can handle it in a few ways:

1. You can extract the MIDI from the Blood resource file yourself. A resource editor such as XWE ought to work (I've used it to extract resources from Duke 3D, a Build-based game, so I'm guessing it will work in Blood). [EDIT: I just confirmed that XWE works with Blood.]

2. You can ask someone else to extract the MIDI for you, and you can give them credit if you wish.

3. You can search the idgames database for PWADS that include the MIDI you want, and see if they give permissions. [I did a cursory search on the words "Caleb" and "Monolith" but came up empty. Searching on the word "Blood" will give you hundreds of irrelevant results, so you whould probably avoid that.]