Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOEL

Dude, Bloodstain is really good

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Bloodstain

I've been through all of the maps once and some of them two or three times.

It's got Scythe 2-esque aesthetics though a tad duller maybe. I'd say it's somewhere between Hell Revealed 2 and Speed of Doom/Resurgence difficulty wise but with Alien Vendetta-esque map design. It's what I'd imagine an AV reboot would look like.

Folks playing on my Zandronum server hosting it have been impressed as well. Usually don't get many comments praising the WADs I've been hosting.

It kinda makes me sad not seeing any UV-Max DSDA runs on Youtube of it. I should take a stab at a couple demos myself but I'm a relative noob. I only discovered watching it on @TheV1perK1ller's YT channel. (He's scary good by the way.)

Anyway, thoughts? Similar WADs?

Edited by DOEL

I definitely appreciate the kind words man.

As for demos, the DSDArchive has quite a few runs listed for Bloodstain, namely by @numberjuan77, who has contributed a good amount of demos for it, especially the later levels.

Regarding similar WADs, might I suggest Speed of Doom, the NewDoom Community Projects (the second can only be properly played in ZDoom used to bugs), the MAYhem series, or Kama Sutra? The latter of which is particularly similar to Alien Vendetta.

@TheV1perK1ller 

Yea I love watching you play. Speed of Doom was one of my first custom WAD experiences, really amazing stuff. A tad above my skill level perhaps. I also really like the styles of Community Chest 4 and Nova III. They both have maps on my list of demos to do.

@Pipicz definitely made great megawad and it is sad he basically hasn't done anything else after that. I've just persuaded him to contribute to our CZECHBOX community project... but that's all.

8 hours ago, damned said:

@Pipicz definitely made great megawad and it is sad he basically hasn't done anything else after that. I've just persuaded him to contribute to our CZECHBOX community project... but that's all.

We need more from you guys!
Czechbox is amazing, and Zones of Fear its great too.

Pipicz made map 21 in Plutonia 2 and it is sort of kind of a predecessor of what's in Bloodstain. The only wad I can think of that aims for such cautious methodical step-by-step gameplay is Urania, very different aesthetics though. I don't see it being that fun in multiplayer. Jenesis might actually be up your alley too, it has neat visuals and some slow-ish paced action if that's your thing.

Also in no shape or form is Resurgence above Bloodstain in terms of difficulty, but that's my perspective from having enjoyed Joshy's twice or thrice and Pipicz's only once and didn't quite like the gameplay.

On 9/17/2020 at 8:22 PM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The only thing I didn't like about BS from what I played was the fact that the music was downsampled so much, the first couple of maps sound like an mp3 playing from a tin can.

I just downloaded the wad hoping for some hilariously compressed WAV format music or something but just got ultra common MIDIs that have been used in 999 wads before :( my disappointment is immeasurable and my day ruined

(Actually I'm just kidding, this wad looks great, no clue how I haven't tried it til now..)

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I just downloaded the wad hoping for some hilariously compressed WAV format music or something but just got ultra common MIDIs that have been used in 999 wads before :( my disappointment is immeasurable and my day ruined

(Actually I'm just kidding, this wad looks great, no clue how I haven't tried it til now..)

The music in the first map sounds like a toaster trying to sing. The second map is a horribly compressed song from Quake 2, also playing from a toaster. I honestly stopped playing because of it. I'm eventually going to open it up in SLADE and replace the music with full quality rips. It's the only wad I've ever stopped playing because the music was so bad. I remember someone complaining about it on the release thread.

13 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The music in the first map sounds like a toaster trying to sing. The second map is a horribly compressed song from Quake 2, also playing from a toaster. I honestly stopped playing because of it. I'm eventually going to open it up in SLADE and replace the music with full quality rips. It's the only wad I've ever stopped playing because the music was so bad. I remember someone complaining about it on the release thread.

Compared to the first midi on 25 Years on Earth, these midis are positively delightful.

This wad is pretty nice based on the first few levels I played. Thanks for putting me onto it.

14 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The second map is a horribly compressed song from Quake 2, also playing from a toaster.

Hmm.. I'm starting to wonder if there's two different Bloodstains out there (seems like a pretty obvious name for a wad, after all). The 2nd map of the Bloodstain I have uses Dead Souls from The Crow, and the MIDI is basically 100% accurate to the real song, or at least as accurate as a MIDI can be. Makes me think we might be talking about two totally different mapsets, lol.

14 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

These are all midi or MUS files...
There was some discussion where folks were figuring out what the song credits are, but I mean, nothing else.
What port are you playing on, maybe you're having issues with your midi playback.

I find I have to open a sourceport two times to get the midi information to play properly sometimes, otherwise the tin-can effect happens.

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Hmm.. I'm starting to wonder if there's two different Bloodstains out there (seems like a pretty obvious name for a wad, after all). The 2nd map of the Bloodstain I have uses Dead Souls from The Crow, and the MIDI is basically 100% accurate to the real song, or at least as accurate as a MIDI can be. Makes me think we might be talking about two totally different mapsets, lol.

I'll open it up and check in a bit, maybe I'm getting it confused with another wad or something. The wad/map I'm talking about used a heavily compressed version of Descent into Cerberon on the second map.

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOLLOWS:

I was thinking of Bloody Steel.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Been looking for a thread on Bstain. I noticed that it doesn't show up on any of the lists that I have seen i.e. "What are you playing" and such.

IMHO it's at least as good as many of the favorite wads talked about on DW. Maybe I'm over rating it but it seems kind of shoved into the background.

It's good, has a bit too much meat crammed in small places in the later levels, but it's still reasonably fun and worth a play. Shame about a few bugs that were promised a fix that ultimately never arrived.

My personal favourites:

1. MAP21: The Purgatory Gateway

2. MAP27: Slaughterworks

3. MAP23: Perdition

Edited by Andromeda : add favourites

I really enjoyed Bloodstain, I played it on HNTR however, so it was a lighter experience on my end. There were still moments that were a little frustrating in later sections however (I'm thinking specifically of MAP27, and probably other parts of episode 3) and I'm not sure how much of it would have been any different on UV. Definitely has a good share of nice visuals and really fun map layouts, I agree it deserves more mentions in these parts. However I would encourage playing it on a lower difficulty before tackling one of the higher settings.

Spoiler

Some of my favorite map highlights:

MAP06: Anomaly Entrance
MAP09: Mountain Outpost
MAP13: Autumn
MAP14: Dryad's Garden
MAP15: Secluded Stronghold
MAP17: The Eerie Keep
MAP18: Terracotta Palace
MAP19: Icebreaker
MAP20: The Great Furnace
MAP25: The Disciples of Babel
MAP28: Descent Into Madness
MAP29: Ov Fire and The Void
MAP32: Heavenly

Map 28 turned me into straightup savescum.

Last 5 are some of the hardest I've ever played.