Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

The First Song Of Each Metal Genre

Doing this thread as a sequel to my "What Was The First Metal Song Ever" thread, but like the title says, this time we'll argue about the very first song of each subgenre!

I'll start with thrash, since its my favorite subgenre and the one I am the most familiar with. Here are some songs and albums that could be classified as the first thrash music ever:

Spoiler

What do you think its the origin of your favorite one?

As far as Death Metal specifically is concerned, probably my favorite of the various metal subgenres, I can't think of any thing older than Body Bag from 1990. I look forward to being proven wrong:

There might be some debate over this, but I think Godflesh have it for industrial metal:

Thrash: Hit the Lights (Metallica)

Death: The Exorcist (Possessed)

Melodic Death: Nightfall (Dark Tranquillity) (EDIT: Now that I remember there's a song on At the Gates' second album that's definitely Melodic Death and it came before Skydancer. I can't remember which one though.)

Doom: At Doom's Gate ;)

Edited by unerxai

38 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

As far as Death Metal specifically is concerned, probably my favorite of the various metal subgenres, I can't think of any thing older than Body Bag from 1990. I look forward to being proven wrong:

Easily beaten by Morbid Angels debut by a year, and they didn't even come close to be the ones with the first Death Metal song.

*waiting for the Death vs. Possessed war*

Man, Possessed is really riding the line between thrash and death metal.. which I know some people who are hardcore into it would disown me for saying, but I think Death is more "clearly defined" as death metal whereas my brain is registering Possessed (which I've somehow never heard before) as being more in the thrash region. No clue how I didn't mention Death or Morbid Angel though, granted I'm not as familiar with Death, but Morbid Angel has a lot of songs I really like and are obviously from the mid 80's.. 1Pker50.gif

Yeah, didn't Death's first album come out in 1987? If we consider Possessed thrash, then thats the first death metal record ever.

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

First thrash song:

Totally forgot about that song, and it was an huge influence on the genre. Thanks man!

Oh and @unerxai: sorry if I'm mistaken, but didn't Bonded By Blood come out before Metallica's debut? If so, then it is the first unarguably thrash metal album ever.

If it helps, Chuck Schuldiner was never comfortable with being called "The Godfather of Death Metal" because he also thought Possessed was the first death metal band. 

The first progressive metal song ever is also a good topic. 21st Century Schizoid Man is very heavy for 1969. The Musical Box by Genesis is another great competitor, take a look at the section between  4:00 and 5:45:

18 minutes ago, DSC said:

Yeah, didn't Death's first album come out in 1987? If we consider Possessed thrash, then thats the first death metal record ever.

Totally forgot about that song, and it was an huge influence on the genre. Thanks man!

Oh and @unerxai: sorry if I'm mistaken, but didn't Bonded By Blood come out before Metallica's debut? If so, then it is the first unarguably thrash metal album ever.

That one came out in 85.

Many people claim Overkill was actually first somehow. Don't know the story but I've seen this claim many times.

As for DM, there's many points of view. To me Possessed meets the requirements for old school DM but whatever. To some people even Scream Bloody Gore ain't death metal, and I've even talked to a guy who doesn't consider Altars to be DM because the riff are too thrashy according to him. In the end it's not that important. Fans care and argue about this stuff way more than the actual artists.

3 minutes ago, unerxai said:

That one came out in 85.

Many people claim Overkill was actually first somehow. Don't know the story but I've seen this claim many times.

Ah, sorry! Don't ask me why, but I've always had the idea Bonded By Blood came out in 83...

Anyways, as for Overkill, their first ever demo was released in 83, and thats why people claim that. I do believe it was after KEA, though.

48 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Man, Possessed is really riding the line between thrash and death metal.. which I know some people who are hardcore into it would disown me for saying, but I think Death is more "clearly defined" as death metal whereas my brain is registering Possessed (which I've somehow never heard before) as being more in the thrash region.

That's because the genre was in its infancy back then, much of it sounded a lot more like thrash rather than death, a darker and more violent kind of thrash.

Same thing happened with black metal. Earliest of Venom (gee, I wonder who still thinks black metal was invented in Norway or Sweden?) sounds nothing like even Bathory's The Return from '84, which also marked a dramatic evolution from their debut album which was more-or-less a darker kind of thrash, and once the Norwegians and Finnish stepped in, took it to a whole new level.

Or in other words, the second wave was very different from the first, after it fully formed and gained its own identity.

Edited by seed

Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath was probably one of the first examples of prog metal in history. Black Sabbath is pretty much guilty of almost all metal subgenres.

Candlemass was probably one of the first works of Doom metal and Epic metal, thanks to its lyrics and singers.

The ancestors of death metals , just listen to those authentic death growls

It's debatable whether the first death metal album was either Seven Churches or Scream Bloody Gore. Either answer is acceptable in my mind. 

16 hours ago, DSC said:

Kill 'em all 83, Bonded by blood 85. And don't forget Dark Angels debut "We have arrived" in released in 85 too.

13 hours ago, Endless said:

Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath was probably one of the first examples of prog metal in history. Black Sabbath is pretty much guilty of almost all metal subgenres.

Candlemass was probably one of the first works of Doom metal and Epic metal, thanks to its lyrics and singers.

Epicus was released in 86, Troubles debut "Psalm 9" in 84, as well as Saint Vitus debut. Even Pentagrams debut was released in 85.

Death Metal :

Not counting demos, just official releases, so "Master" / "Death Strike" are sadly out.

- Possessed - Seven Churches 85 ( Funny how the guitarist ended playing for the band Primus )

- Death - Scream Bloody Gore 87 (Godfather of the genre)

- Necrophagia - Season of the Dead 87 ( Rather thrashy, but influential for the genre nontheless )