Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Old-Doomguy

Why is it that....

Thanks guys for the answers and discussion, it's great! Some of these questions, I've had in my mind since 1995. 

Time for some more questions!

Why is it so that:

Some monsters can't infight while others can?

The bfg cone is cumming from the player and not the ball , is it intended or an oversight?

Partial invisibility doesn't really help the players in most situations?

8 minutes ago, Old-Doomguy said:

The bfg cone is cumming from the player and not the ball

Cones are stored in the balls.

Just to show the player that certain demons are almost like tribes or something, I suppose. Barons and Knights refuse to hurt one another 99.9% of the time, but if some of those other Caco jerks or Zombiemen hurt them, it's gloves off.

47 minutes ago, Old-Doomguy said:

The bfg cone is cumming from the player and not the ball , is it intended or an oversight?

I think it's intended. The effect is that it's a weapon that shoots everything on the screen. For a player who doesn't know how it actually works, it looks like a huge blast area effect that doesn't hurt them: an excellent superweapon.

Having the rays come from the player is mechanically very simple and effective to implement in game logic. If the rays came from ball, they'd have to have a lot more rays and send them all around (360°) to replicate the visual effect of random targets left and right being also hit.

13 minutes ago, Gez said:

I think it's intended. The effect is that it's a weapon that shoots everything on the screen. For a player who doesn't know how it actually works, it looks like a huge blast area effect that doesn't hurt them: an excellent superweapon.

Having the rays come from the player is mechanically very simple and effective to implement in game logic. If the rays came from ball, they'd have to have a lot more rays and send them all around (360°) to replicate the visual effect of random targets left and right being also hit.

I keep wondering if this is why id decided not to give the BFG to the Spiderdemon. For a receiving player, it would have looked inconsistent if an explosion just one meter away became harmless just because the demon was out of sight then. The magic would have been lost.

Granted, I also found it stupid how an imp just behind me was unaffected when I would fire it. 

3 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

I'm guessing it's part of gameplay balance. If all the monsters could infight with all others, then any large group of monsters encountered would end up thinning itself out with infighting, so e.g. you couldn't pit the player against a large horde of imps without having half of them kill/distract each other.

3 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

Partial invisibility doesn't really help the players in most situations?

You're talking about how it makes it easier to fight hitscan enemies, but actually makes it harder to dodge projectiles, right?

I wonder if it has something to do with the gameplay style being different... maybe the Doom playtesters/early Doom players didn't have the ingrained instinct to dodge as soon as they saw the attack animation? I briefly checked out some early Usenet postings, and found several posts from 1993/1994 where people claimed that the partial invisibility on E1M8 makes it much easier to fight the Barons. 

Edited by JudgeDeadd : add invisibility stuff

Why in the distant future after having the ability to colonize Mars and it's moons is the best GPS system they can come up with a bunch of red lines and a heap of triangles? Did the UAC have it's funding cut or something?

On 9/20/2020 at 12:27 PM, Doom-X-Machina said:

Why in the distant future after having the ability to colonize Mars and it's moons is the best GPS system they can come up with a bunch of red lines and a heap of triangles? Did the UAC have it's funding cut or something?

Could be worse, the Nostromo's AI supercomputer in Alien only had monochrome CRT terminals if I'm remembering correctly. At least in the UAC's timeline graphical displays were actually invented.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:05 PM, Biodegradable said:

Why does Doomguy immediately consume the bonus health potions? Didn't his parents ever teach not to drink strange liquids you found on the floor!?

Dude, B.J. Blazkowicz slurped up puddles of blood and ate dog food. I don't think you've got much of an argument here.

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Dude, B.J. Blazkowicz slurped up puddles of blood and ate dog food. I don't think you've got much of an argument here.

Not gonna lie the health vials look strangely refreshing. I like to think they taste like real mountain stream water or something.

1 hour ago, Eric Claus said:

Not gonna lie the health vials look strangely refreshing. I like to think they taste like real mountain stream water or something.

Makes you wonder why nobody's capitalised on a Doom-themed, health vial-shaped bottle water product.

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Makes you wonder why nobody's capitalised on a Doom-themed, health vial-shaped bottle water product.

Kinda hard to do that in 2.5D.

3 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Who lights all the candles? And who replaces them when they all burn out?

This dude:

This cracked me the fuck up, and oddly fitting use of the Alfred Hitchcock theme there!

On 9/22/2020 at 7:03 PM, Eric Claus said:

Reminds me of this classic fan art:

Doomguy_low_on_health.jpg

2 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Who lights all the candles?

The arch-vile. He can sets them alight with his mind.

2 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

And who replaces them when they all burn out?

The arch-vile, again. When a candle is completely melted, he just resurrects it into a fresh new candle.

And then lights it on fire with his mind.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

The arch-vile. He can sets them alight with his mind.

The arch-vile, again. When a candle is completely melted, he just resurrects it into a fresh new candle.

And then lights it on fire with his mind.

What if the candles aren't in his line of sight?

On 9/22/2020 at 3:39 AM, Biodegradable said:

In all honesty, it makes me think of a mana potion and someone put that to market.