Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

Thinking about getting some games.

I obviously know about Wolf3D, Heretic and Hexen, but should I get these games? In my opinion, I have to have my collection of good FPS games, and Wolf3D is a classic, but what about Heretic and Hexen? I'm just thinking about it. Also, what about Serious Sam?

Well, I got Serious Sam: The First Encounter Classic for 0.89 US Dollars, and I somehow got The Second Encounter Classic and Classics Revolution, wow. Anyway, Serious Sam is seriously fun, and seriously hard too, the next game on my list is probably not Deus Ex, since I already got that, nor are Blood, Half Life and even Doom 3, with the DLC Resurrection of Evil. I guess I'll get Heretic and or Hexen.

I haven't played DOOM3, is it good? Also, is it scary? I hate horror videogames (I hate horror). But is it like TLOU, where it says it's horror, but really it's got like 3 jump scares?

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I haven't played DOOM3, is it good? Also, is it scary? I hate horror videogames (I hate horror). But is it like TLOU, where it says it's horror, but really it's got like 3 jump scares?

It's very fun, but you need patience, and also you gotta use the shotgun well, since it's not very accurate. Oh, and look around for plasma, and the plasma gun, they help with the first boss fight, the spiderdemon replacement.

You can always try the shareware version of Heretic and the Hexen demo first before buying the respective games.

Personally I liked most the second and the third hubs in Hexen, while the first hub (shown in the demo) was pretty tepid to me. But you'll get a good idea of how these games play and feel to you. (Heretic shareware has an entire episode so go for it.)

Hexen 2 is not bad either. Quake engine powered and IMO is better than Quake. There was a Heretic 2, but that was pony - 3rd person chase view. Ugh.

I'll also definitely recommend Serious Sam FE and SE. Better than SS2 or SS3 though SS2 is not bad at all.

Yeah, Ion Fury... that is excellent. Very recent but based on the Duke3D Build engine from back in the day. Proper old school fun that one.

When someone asks what my favorite game of all time is, my brain crosses wires because I can't decide between Doom and Hexen. Though Hexen took several years for me to get into, as it can be very obtuse to navigate in certain areas, and requires vastly different combat strategies with melee combat, inventory items and enemies that reflect your shots back at you. Heretic is a good bridge between the two games and is like a medieval fantasy Doom clone, to oversimplify.

Wolf 3D can be fun, but I don't think it's level design has aged all that well. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is excellent, it's like classic Call of Duty with a supernatural twist.

Serious Sam's arena style never hooked me, but it has some personality. I did get into Painkiller for a minute, it's a lot like Serious Sam with more of a gothic style.

Also, Turok is really fun for what it is.

I’d say grab them all if you can afford them :-) All are fun in their own ways but personally always felt DooM was the best of the pack.

As for other suggestions, Duke3D is a must if you don’t have it already!

Also Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are pretty amazing if your looking for bang for your buck (and if your into FPS RPG’s). You can easily sink 50+ hours into each without getting board! Plus they are cheap as nowadays ($15AUD for each of the base games or $30 for the game of the year editions that come with all DLC included) and old enough that they run on a potato with no real problems :-)