Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yumheart

What popular megawads do you think are overrated?

21 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I wouldn't consider BTSX a Slaughter WAD, since there is always breathing room between fights, but although I've never played it, Dimensions looks like something somebody put together quickly, then released it.

I wouldn't call dimensions overrated simply because very few people have even played it. As such I highly encourage you to check out map2 of dimensions on HNTR, MrZzul put a lot of work into balancing HNTR and HMP for more casual playthroughs to the point where he'll replay them casually on such when he's doing chill streams. Map 2 has the best atmosphere of any map i've played and even though the fights are slaughterish, there's only 121 enemies on HNTR and only 176 on UV.

The bonus maps (31,32) do look quickly put together but they're bonus maps for a reason.

Yeah, I think there could have been a better example. But maps that have 50 revenants in one single room do not seem like they had the most thought put into them. 

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Yeah, I think there could have been a better example. But maps that have 50 revenants in one single room do not seem like they had the most thought put into them. 

On the contrary, slaughterwads have the most thought put into them as far as monster placement goes. They are designed to make the player think and work out the best strategy for tackling a fight.

Based on the internet "everything ever created" is overrated.

I personally dont like the concept of calling something overrated.

Its the equivalent of "Lots of people like something i don't? that cant be ! It must be stopped!"

I guess BTSX E1 is the only modern one that didn't grab me. I know it's a really good mapset, but both times I tried to play it I lost interest, mostly due to the unchanging theme. I've read that E2 rectifies this a little bit, but I've never played it. I will pretty soon though, certainly before E3 comes out.

Once we move into older WADs, I found Hell Revealed pretty boring and never finished it. And then Hell Revealed 2, which I played with the DWMC earlier this year, was horrible. MAP24 in particular, but there were a lot that were bad.

That's really all I've got. I enjoy most WADs I play.

oh btw i didn't answer to the question: to me it would probably be Alien Vendetta.

I never had fun with it. I was too young to finish it when it came out so it was frustrating, and when i started playing correctly it was just too late for it, it didn't age well. But it's not something i "despise", it's just something that, i think, is (and was) a bit overrated.

On the contrary, slaughterwads have the most thought put into them as far as monster placement goes. They are designed to make the player think and work out the best strategy for tackling a fight.

and i second this. I think that a lot of people here consider slaughter a trivial horde thrown at you, which is something that we may call "slaughter gone wrong" or ""joke slaughter" (i actually did this on a map but it was just for fun and to bfg spam for a while). A true slaughter map is the one that makes you strategize, prioritize and think, and monster placement is very well thought.

I have a vast preference for the 90's and 00's megawads, since most 10's megawads have got to a difficulty level thats out of my reach. Its great that this apex exists for people with that skill level, but I often feel discouraged these days when I download a cool looking wad from here and can't even get three levels deep, even with mods. The ukiro/bridgeburner stuff is at the forefront of these for me, and the Ancient Aliens/Valiant sort of level is way too hard for me, so I can't really enjoy them at all, even when playing HNTR.

For me, I would say the "Russian-style" megawads like A.L.T. and Sacramant. I just don't think that Doom works as a platform to explore complex psychological themes, and that's what these wads are pretending to do. 

To me, they feel incoherent, usually having a handful of regular levels, with in between them many levels with bizarre progression, repetitive gameplay, weird texturing etc ... Basically stuff that would usually get you negative reviews, but which gets a pass in these cases because the wad is expressing the emotional state of someone stuck in an endless loop between life and death or something whatever. :) 

16 hours ago, ‹rd› said:

Also wanted to add that a comparable 'underrated' thread would be much better to have. Or since we've had that before, maybe break new ground with 'What middlingly popular megawads do you think are appropriately rated?' 

This one has evolved how you'd expect: complaints about wads largely released for free, little criticism the authors haven't heard elsewhere. It's concentrated bad vibes at some of the community's more productive, esteemed creators. Before anyone brings up #NotAllPosts, well true, but a bunch of them are, which is enough. 

I stayed away from this thread as I figured it was headed to a quick lock from the get-go

Anyway, I don't like to call things 'overrated' as it seems as soon as I do I go back and try them again and end up really liking them.

But I have to say that wads that aren't Cyberdreams, Sunder, or LEGO Doom are overrated.

People who think Alien Vendetta is overrated are overrated.

23 hours ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

Anything IWAD related, E1 of Ultimate DooM is the most overrated.

HacX and Chex aren't overrated, but they are IWADs though.

I understand why threads like this get made, sometimes it can be annoying to see the importance or influence of (anyone or anything) being overstated to the point of almost becoming a meme.

Are you guys gonna tell me you’ve never seen a song, band, movie, etc have it’s importance overstated to the point of annoying you at least a little? If not I congratulate such patience and respect for opinions you don’t share, but personally I’ve definitely been annoyed by such things in the past. I can empathise with people having the exact same phenomenon occur but within the realm of Doom and it’s mods.

My own personal example would be Complex Doom some years ago. I saw it on literally 7,000% of active Zandronum servers for like 4 years straight. Did I think it was irritating, overplayed and overrated? You bet your ass I did. “All these servers running Complex mods... I just want to Doom for God’s sake!”

I think people need to remember that all (well, 99.9%) of this shit is absolutely done for free. People put loads of elbow grease in for relatively little in the way of gain. When you keep that in mind you feel much more reluctant to talk smack about someone else’s work, because at that point it’s just a dick move.

Still, I just want to say I can in some ways empathise with people who get sick of seeing “wad X” talked about for the millionth time when there are droves of great wads that hardly earn a mention. It’s just important to keep in mind that the person’s work cost no one anything as well as remembering that, especially among you single-player softies, seeing a wad’s name everywhere can’t actually hurt you or effect you in any way that you don’t let it!

Also I think it’s important for people to be able to voice their criticisms of popular works so long as they’re genuine. This is what feedback and ratings scores are and I think people should feel comfortable saying what decisions about a wad, even a popular one, that they dislike and hope to see other mappers avoid. As long as it’s not “Thing X is well loved so I hate it” I think we should welcome uncommon opinions when it comes to design philosophy and all that other good stuff that goes into making custom Doom content!

8 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

I stayed away from this thread as I figured it was headed to a quick lock from the get-go

Anyway, I don't like to call things 'overrated' as it seems as soon as I do I go back and try them again and end up really liking them.

But I have to say that wads that aren't Cyberdreams, Sunder, or LEGO Doom are overrated.

People who think Alien Vendetta is overrated are overrated.

i am overrated! i mean it takes a lot to overrate something which was never rated, but i accept that :)

Overrated megawads:

THIS SUXX!

cyc-384

urania

killing adventure

Journey to Hell

End of this thread.

In terms of overrating of things, the weird consensus is that any wad that seems to follow a typical PWAD ordeal and has a famous author(s) is often considered overrated. Basically every wad someone is bound to think of such things like "this wad starts out slow but gets really freaking hard the next map" and often. Xaser's reply that threads like this is overrated is an overrated response in five known universes, but at least this thread warrants some kind of analysis.

13 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

i am overrated! i mean it takes a lot to overrate something which was never rated, but i accept that :)

i mean at one point i can assume you were rated worthy of life

What kind of hospital doesn't ask newborns their opinion of Alien Vendetta during sorting?

I don't think it is necessarily disrespectful to call something free overrated, the term is just an opinion, it's not a personal insult unless you make it one.

If I hear about a wad in development for half an eternity, it comes out and everyone seems to like it, I play it and think it sucks, my brain is going to tell me it's overrated. That's it. Sorry for the run on sentence, I just woke up.

But "overrated" is just a personal feeling, nothing more. Just because I think BTSX is overrated doesn't mean I don't have massive respect for Essel and Xaser and the like. They clearly have some incredible skill. It just means that it didn't line up in a way that I personally would have liked. But hey, that's okay, it's not made specifically for me.

But threads like these will ineveitably be popular because people enjoy controversy. I don't mean to plug my own discussions, but I made a thread for constructive criticism after people complained about this thread, and it only got a couple replies. You can check it out if you want:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/116970-the-constructive-criticisms-thread/

On 9/22/2020 at 1:59 AM, lirui1001 said:

Journey to Hell

All I remember from this was the announcement, some really cool screenshots (which were hosted on imageshack and as such now gone), then some drama or something.

At least 3 times a year I google up this thread and I'm still no closer to an answer than when I started.

Ok I actually found a working link in one of the linked threads.

Still I have no evidence that people can widely and easily access a copy of this WAD.

Is it just a legend that lives on?