Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Has anyone ever made an overworld map for Doom2's episodes, similar to Doom1's?

Basically what the title asks. One thing I loved about old games like Super Mario World, Zelda II, Doom1's first 3 episodes, and countless others was the overworld between maps that actually shows your progress through the game. If there's one thing that's mega shitty about E4/Doom2 and the conventions they put in place, it's the absence of an overworld map.

Obviously making one that looks good is a giant pain in the ass, but I'm just wondering if anyone has retroactively made one for Doom2? I genuinely think that if Doom2 came with an episode select screen and 3 overworld maps that it would destroy the two main arguments for Doom1's superiority that I've seen over the years!

18 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Basically what the title asks. One thing I loved about old games like Super Mario World, Zelda II, Doom1's first 3 episodes, and countless others was the overworld between maps that actually shows your progress through the game. If there's one thing that's mega shitty about E4/Doom2 and the conventions they put in place, it's the absence of an overworld map.

Obviously making one that looks good is a giant pain in the ass, but I'm just wondering if anyone has retroactively made one for Doom2? I genuinely think that if Doom2 came with an episode select screen and 3 overworld maps that it would destroy the two main arguments for Doom1's superiority that I've seen over the years!

I find it odd that this wasn't done when it was made to begin with. For whatever reason they just decided to do it in one big pile with each "episode" being 10 maps instead of the usual 9 that would have just slipped right in with what they already had, and honestly some of the doom 2 maps could have easily been cut or transitioned to secret levels without breaking the flow of things too much.  I speculate time constraint might have something to do with it, or maybe they thought it wasn't necessary and just did away with it.

At first I thought, "How would they fit 32 levels on one overworld screen" But then I remembered that Doom 2 has episodes. So at the end of each level, you could have an endgame screen. iirc there are 4 episodes, so 4 endgame screens. I would love to have seen it implemented. Don't know how you would incorporate the two Wolfenstein levels into whatever endgame screen had map 15 on it!

I was thinking you could just avoid having the Wolf3D maps and "You Area Here" thing on the overworld altogether, almost as if you've somehow been transitioned to a different plane that you can't even see for those two maps. Having two random blue and red cubes would definitely stand out like a sore thumb!

Also, even though it sort of ends at map07, I always felt like E1 of Doom2 was more like maps 1-11, then 12-20 are the city and of course 21-30 are hell.

Just checked ZDoom forums for this answer. No, nobody did Doom 2 intermission scripts. Only for Episode 4.

I might try it myself (no promises), but if I were to do it; I would want it to be as close to what it would’ve looked like had Id made screens like that for DII. I’d leave the widescreen work to someone else. 

So far, I don’t think I’ve seen anything like this for DII, at least nothing based off the actual game, but I think there’s a few WADs that have screens drawn up of their own for the same effect. 

God i'd love for someone to do this. ive always wanted something like this. i know someone tried to make on the ZDoom forums many years ago but it got scrapped.

42 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I was thinking you could just avoid having the Wolf3D maps and "You Area Here" thing on the overworld altogether, almost as if you've somehow been transitioned to a different plane that you can't even see for those two maps. Having two random blue and red cubes would definitely stand out like a sore thumb!

Also, even though it sort of ends at map07, I always felt like E1 of Doom2 was more like maps 1-11, then 12-20 are the city and of course 21-30 are hell.

The idea of three episodes really appeals to me for some reason. Almost as if the original doom had 3 episodes or something. ;)

[edit] Also where you have put the divisions  between the levels is logical, and would totally work. I like it.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Yeah I believe you are right on the "episode" setup for D2 as the story goes busting into the starport and clearing it out for the survivors to escape, and then waiting to die, being told there is a portal in your home town which is the city levels, and then the rest are supposed to be in hell which is why I think the beginning of Nirvana looks like the way it does, a strange mesh of our world and theirs at the portal location.

Edit: Even have some suggested episode names, though not especially creative...

Ep. 1: Hell on Earth (keeping to the title)

Ep. 2: Homecoming (flat but fits)

Ep. 3: A Second Descent (this one was a bit harder and could use more work)

Edited by Eric Claus

This is something i've always wanted to do if i ever get decent enough at drawing.

I think the reason why they ditched the episodic format is because it's very tied to shareware/registered releases, while Doom II was always intended as a commercial release, they probably thought about it early in development, but scrapped it for that reason.

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I made 2 for Dissension. One of Phobos and one of Mars with a target reticle that changed location as you progress (and smoke plumes from the maps you've completed). It wasn't the easiest thing to do... it worked in the end but it took a long time to get it right and that was only for 11 maps total. Doing all 30 (32) maps of Doom 2 would be a pretty big task i'd imagine, but not impossible...

I may have a crack at it myself...

MARSMAP9.jpg

I'm curious how that would look like in map format instead of a simple animated picture, with top-down angled view and all. might be possible to pull something like that off with MapCamera and ACS in ZDoom.