Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

Doom 1/ Ultimate Doom megawads?

I did try to find another thread like this, and while there are plenty of Doom 2 megawad lists, there seem to be far fewer Ultimate Doom megawad lists. Though possibly my searching was every bit as half-assed as... what it actually was. I just put "Ultimate Doom megawad lists" into the search bar... aaaaaand then I was done searching. Apologies in advance if there are plenty of other lists, and I just, well, suck.

Anyhow, I have really been going through a phase of Doom 1/Ultimate Doom wads, and over the last year or two have played such greats as dtwid and all the overflow levels, NEIS, and Lunar catastrophe, as well as SIGIL of course. All awesome. Discovered Sinergy while I was searching these forums just now. But I would love to add to this list. There are others that I have played, though I can't remember the authors or the wad names just now.

So, with all relevant gratitude for any replies, gimme ur absolute finest Doom 1 /Ultimate Doom megawads, or at least episode replacements. Preferably reasonably vanilla in style and ambience, though variation and new stuff is totally fine.

(For those interested, I use Vanilla Essence, Screem pal, Perkristians seminal sound replacements, and the spritefix.wad project to 'recreate' the unique way that I 'remember' what vanilla Dooming was all about. While totally subjective, I recommend all of these mods, and again, am very grateful for them. I really should try crispy doom one of these days.)

The first thing that comes to my mind if I see words "Ultimate Doom megawads" is 2002 Doom Odyssey. Excellent stuff

Also try Back to Basics by Espi and Phobos Anomaly Reborn by Lutz (1st episode reimagination)

Okay, so seeing that I love Sigil but I'm kinda reluctant to touch any Doom 1 wad, would you point to me some that might be on somewhat par with Sigil?

@SilverMiner dude appreciate these suggestions. Played Back to Basics years ago. Will add them to my list of must plays.

@P41R47 kinda astonished that only an hour after I post the thread, someone rocks up with such a comprehensive list! Thanks so much for the reply. The only one I can add to that list is, as i mentioned in OP, 'sinergy' by CrunchyNut44, definitely worth a look! Thanks again.

6 minutes ago, <

Okay, so seeing that I love Sigil but I'm kinda reluctant to touch any Doom 1 wad, would you point to me some that might be on somewhat par with Sigil?

I highly recommend NEIS.wad. Best Ultimate Doom wad I have ever played, and definitely on par with Sigil. 

Thanks so much for all the suggestions... bookmarking this thread. Cheers. 

Try "double impact", or "nihility: infinite teeth".  Although double impact is not a megawad, and nihility uses alpha resources, so may not be what you're looking for

I wonder if this list should be updated in anticipation of Doom's 30th bday, now that Ultimate Doom in Name Only is coming soon.