Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asd1994

Is it okay to use a Realm667 texture pack in a total conversion mod?

Question

So I've been working on a total conversion mod for Doom 2 but I'm really struggling with making assets. I'm not really an artist and making all the textures I need is a daunting task. I've made a few already but honestly they're pretty terrible. I'm considering using something like Baker's Legacy or something for it since it's got the colorful dark fantasy aesthetic I'm looking for, but I'm worried about what other people would think if I just used something someone else made. I know it's best to make everything myself for something like this, but I really don't have the skill, tools, or time to make everything by hand. I know this will probably sound like a dumb question but is it okay to use pre-made stuff in a TC mod? Would people look down on me for it?

3 answers to this question

The texture packs are made to use them.

So nobody will tell you its bad if you use one.

You can make your own textures if you like, too.

So take it easy, pal!

There is no rush, so you will get better at it.

On a side note, if you want to sell your total conversion, in that case, check what the .txt that comes with the texture pack said about it.

My quick answer is that it probably said that they are not made to sell, because they are mostly just texture edits of the originals, and commercializing textures from another game is a big trouble, even when they are edits.

So if thats the case, well, take your time at learning how to improve you texture art because its not an easy task to make game from get go.

Most TC have a development time of three to ten years.

So don't rush it and just pour your soul on express what you desire.

Cheers, pal!

EDIT: you may want to take a look at Freedoom texture pack, they are free to use, free to edit, and you can use them for commercial purpose.

They are really similar to the original Doom textures, so they may come in handy.

Edited by P41R47

8 hours ago, P41R47 said:

The texture packs are made to use them.

So nobody will tell you its bad if you use one.

You can make your own textures if you like, too.

So take it easy, pal!

There is no rush, so you will get better at it.

On a side note, if you want to sell your total conversion, in that case, check what the .txt that comes with the texture pack said about it.

My quick answer is that it probably said that they are not made to sell, because they are mostly just texture edits of the originals, and commercializing textures from another game is a big trouble, even when they are edits.

So if thats the case, well, take your time at learning how to improve you texture art because its not an easy task to make game from get go.

Most TC have a development time of three to ten years.

So don't rush it and just pour your soul on express what you desire.

Cheers, pal!

EDIT: you may want to take a look at Freedoom texture pack, they are free to use, free to edit, and you can use them for commercial purpose.

They are really similar to the original Doom textures, so they may come in handy.

Thanks, this really puts me at ease. I'm not planning on selling my TC, nor could I since it's based on a TV show, so I don't have to worry about that. But seriously thank you for this. This is just what I needed for a confidence boost. <3

On 9/21/2020 at 2:17 AM, LightwaveAlice said:

I know this will probably sound like a dumb question but is it okay to use pre-made stuff in a TC mod? Would people look down on me for it?

As @P41R47 indicated, many texture packs were created and released for the public to use. There are plenty of acclaimed DooM mods made with texture packs (and other resource packs, including music, weapons, enemies), so there is no embarrassment in using them in your work. A couple of things to note:

1. Make sure the author gives permission. The text file will typically tell you this.

2. Make sure you credit the author(s), even if permissions are given.