Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Michniko

Origin of the Pistol in Eternal?

So I may have found the initial inspiration for the design if Eternal's pistol.

I never really paid much attention to the pistol in Eternal, all I knew was that it was in the game files and that there was a way to spawn it in.

I had downloaded a bunch of Source Filmmaker ports of various models from Eternal and 2016 cause I wanted to make some posters and what not right? I went over some thing I wanted to create and one of them was a remake of the original 1993 poster for Doom. I got to work posing Doomguy and a couple demons when I realized I didn't really have a good looking weapon that looks like the one in the poster. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this: The unnamed gun on the poster and the Pistol in Doom Eternal look very similar. They're both the same size, magazine is in the same place, same color scheme, a lot of similarities.

It isn't like some sort of exact replica(like the Plasmagun for example) but it could definitely be cited as a reimagining.

Let me know if I'm crazy or not.

TLDR: The Doom Eternal Pistol has a strong resemblance to the weapon on the 1993 Doom poster.

2064762970_preview_nice_pistol_-_doom_eternal_2.jpg

7e2d118dbf952629b5699db529c47ce0.jpg

In the original artwork the magazine is in front of the handle, in Eternals model it seems to be inside the handle?

1 hour ago, igg said:

In the original artwork the magazine is in front of the handle, in Eternals model it seems to be inside the handle?

Like I said, it isn't an exact recreation. But the magazine being as long as it is and honestly being there at all makes me think it's intentional.

That would be a excelent fan service for the weapon,hope it's not entirely cut and can be used in the future.

As you said it really looks like that OG cover art smg and also the fact that the primary fire mode is automatic makes them even more similar. IDK if you knew it but if you go in the fortress of doom in the Slayer's office and you look at the table on the right of the preator suit you can see the pistol in pieces