Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

BREAKING NEWS MICROSOFT BUYS ZENIMAX MEDIA FOR 7.5 BILLION

2 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

But no seriously, now Microsoft owns all of this stuff. This world is fucking garbage. Enough with the mergers and buyouts, can't anything be competitive and independent anymore?

Microsoft just picked a stray puppy, that's all. Bethesda fell from grace and was just drinking its savings away, how can you expect someone like that to be independent? They lost all drive to make good games since some time ago and started to play it safe, becoming a shadow of their former self. How many Skyrim versions are there? Check the timeline of TES games: five years or so between most of them, but we'll be waiting more than TEN years for the sixth installment. Look what they did to Commander Keen. Look what they did to Fallout. Microsoft is not going to ruin Bethesda; Bethesda ruined Bethesda.

There're lots of independent studios out there. Heck, Romero has one.

Edited by Antkibo

Well, this can only mean good news for those who enjoy some of the Bethesda-owned IPs (like me). They can't possibly grossly mismanage them as much as Bethesda has. 

Right?

1 hour ago, Blastfrog said:

I was disgusted enough when id decided to sell themselves to a larger company rather than just accept their original fate and fold, and now this shit. Imagine a world where all of id's properties became public domain. I realize this obviously isn't how companies in the business of making money would operate, but I can dream, can't I?

Orphaned works are not in the public domain.

Which is extremely annoying. They don't belong to a publisher who'd publish them, but they still belong to someone. Who? See how Nightdive had to go through basically detective work to find out who owned the rights to System Shock, for example (turned out it was an insurance company).

All this makes it more likely that orphaned works will be lost completely before they go public domain.

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Doesn't Microsoft have enough money already?

no

Not sure what to think of this yet. Loadsmoney for potentially better dev, but MICROSOFT? They already have Halo, so possibly not so focussed on a rival FPS? Let's see what pans out.

I have more faith in Microsoft than in the disaster that Bethesda has been. Microsoft is not perfect, far from it, but I certainly prefer them over Bethesda (or ZeniMax in that case) however, I really don't think there will be many changes related to Doom (at least not for now.) I say this based on my experience with Minecraft. Mojang, the developer of Minecraft, was acquired by Microsoft in 2014, however, it took at least 4 full years for them to start making the big changes, it was a pretty slow process that in the end, ended up being somewhat positive.

1 hour ago, Antkibo said:

but we've been waiting **more than TEN years** for the sixth installment

Wait, wasn't skyrim released 9 years ago while the sixth game of the elder scrolls mainline series was announced 2 years ago or i'm just living under of a rock?

Is too farfetched to call Microsoft the Disney of gaming?

Maybe Microsoft will actually give a shit about Fallout, hey Microsoft and Obsidian are buddies can we have the successor to New Vegas yet or is that too hopeful?

I honestly don't think this is much of a bad thing. Microsoft does need serious competition from Sony and I could think of much worse companies that could've bought id and Bethesda.

Of course there comes the suspicion of what Microsoft could do to them or restrict things to exclusives but we'll have to wait and see.

17 minutes ago, Gamer Derp said:

Wait, wasn't skyrim released 9 years ago while the sixth game of the elder scrolls mainline series was announced 2 years ago or i'm just living under of a rock?

Yes, Skyrim turns nine this November, but we aren't getting that sixth game anytime soon. It was said during E3 2018 that it'll come after Starfield, which STILL has no release date. Even if the latter comes next year, which is unlikely, there'll be still some wait: AAA titles are not released back-to-back.

Obviously, I'm not fan of media being consolidated into a few megacorporations, but Microsoft as a gaming publisher is a thousand times better than Zenimax alone ever was.

Nothing is going to be Xbox exclusive because Microsoft is pretty clearly moving away from Xbox as a discrete hardware device and towards Xbox as a software platform. The formerly console exclusive Gears of War series made it to PC, Halo is making it to PC (even if it's dog shit conversions), hell even weird obscure console exclusives like Phantom Dust made it to PC, and Minecraft is on damn near as many devices as Doom.

Knowing that Sony consoomers will now need to give money to Microsoft  in order to play Doom and Fallout makes me grin. As a former Sega console owner, this somehow makes me feel avenged in a silly way.

47 minutes ago, Danzer said:

Is too farfetched to call Microsoft the Disney of gaming?

More that Disney is the Microsoft of movies.

Ontopic:
Microsoft flexin the muscles for the new generation by outright buying the company that brought us The Elder Scrolls and publishes Doom.

An open world Doom with quests and level progression lies ahead!

Unsure how to feel about this. With Mick Gordon's departure this year I've already been feeling that we're at the end of an era.