Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

BREAKING NEWS MICROSOFT BUYS ZENIMAX MEDIA FOR 7.5 BILLION

4 hours ago, Maes said:

BWAHAHAHA NOW YOU WILL NEVER GET RID OF THE EVERLASTING WINTEL MISERY IF YOU WANT TO KEEP PLAYING DOOM

Where there any real alternative to wintel in gaming at any certain point in time after the mid 90ies?

4 hours ago, Buckshot said:

Considering all of Azure back end runs on Linux, And the fact Microsoft has long changed its tune to Linux even implementing shells and native integration into Windows as of recent is almost a certain guarantee of this.

This have nothing to do with any market share. This is the new strategic direction of Microsoft since some time now. They do not care for the operating system, their new business model is based on Azure, SaaS, IaaS, PaaS.

1 minute ago, cybdmn said:

This have nothing to do with any market share. This is the new strategic direction of Microsoft since some time now. They do not care for the operating system, their new business model is based on Azure, SaaS, IaaS, PaaS.

Well you better not tell this guy.. 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3438856/call-me-crazy-but-windows-11-could-run-on-linux.html

2 hours ago, Buckshot said:

Well that's a relief

FB_IMG_1600705650921.jpg

This statement feels too vague. Someone involved needs to say outright "we're still bringing our games to PlayStation" for me to quell my skepticism.

Now look, I primarily game on PC, and I don't give a shit about the PS5, but I already hate console exclusives (even if they're also on PC), and Microsoft restricting formerly multi-platform franchises to their own "ecosystem" would be an even bigger dick move.

2 minutes ago, chemo said:

This statement feels too vague. Someone involved needs to say outright "we're still bringing our games to PlayStation" for me to quell my skepticism.

Now look, I primarily game on PC, and I don't give a shit about the PS5, but I already hate console exclusives (even if they're also on PC), and Microsoft restricting formerly multi-platform franchises to their own "ecosystem" would be an even bigger dick move.

You can buy Minecraft for the Playstation, which is an Microsoft IP since six years.

1 minute ago, chemo said:

and Microsoft restricting formerly multi-platform franchises to their own "ecosystem" would be an even bigger dick move.

They already gravely failed at Xbox One exclusives and they realized they won't be able to sell Xbox consoles with power as a selling point (which they always have), so they are moving Xbox towards a software platform and releasing their formerly Xbox-exclusive games on PC.

3 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

You can buy Minecraft for the Playstation, which is an Microsoft IP since six years.

Aside from some other minor examples (like Ori on Switch), this is still the exception, not the rule.

4 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

They already gravely failed at Xbox One exclusives and they realized they won't be able to sell Xbox consoles with power as a selling point (which they always have), so they are moving Xbox towards a software platform and releasing their formerly Xbox-exclusive games on PC.

I'm not talking about their commitment to PC. I'm talking about their commitment to competing consoles (or lack thereof).

1 minute ago, chemo said:

I'm not talking about their commitment to PC. I'm talking about their commitment to competing consoles (or lack thereof).

Well, Bethesda's games for other platforms will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

5 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Well, Bethesda's games for other platforms will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

That statement is also incredibly vague. For all we know, it could just mean something along the lines of "ZOMG FALLOUT SHELTER 2 IS COMING TO PS5* *but no new vegas 2 4 u!!!!1". I remain skeptical, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

1 hour ago, MadGuy said:

So does that mean now that DOOM will start using Direct3D on PC?

There's always the option for it, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Well... I mean... this news isn't really all that bad. I do understand all the concerns, and anytime partnerships with big companies happen, one must be weary... but let's remain optimistic for now. I'm just happy it wasn't a certain studio serial killer that got its hands on DOOM. 

1 minute ago, Kokoro Hane said:

I'm just happy it wasn't a certain studio serial killer that got its hands on DOOM. 

237aab_6891340.png

Also, as an ex-Blizzard lover, this hits hard...

Just now, carsonw said:

Halo x Doom is definitely going to happen at some point.

Oddly appropriate, given that the armor suits of the Slayer and Master Chief have been drawing comparisons for years.

2 minutes ago, carsonw said:

Halo x Doom is definitely going to happen at some point.

This sounds like a horrible idea and I hope it never happens. 

Where the hell have I been?! I always miss the most interesting stories! Goddammit school!

I was worried for Arkane because they always made great games that didn't sell enough and the PS5 exclusivity for Deathloop felt like a desperate effort to make money. I was always scared Zenimax would've given them the axe, even if it was unlikely.

This makes me happy it likely won't happen at all now, and there's so many possible cross-development situations between studios that could happen now its pretty insane. Maybe Obsidian will make a new Fallout since Bethesda will be busy with Starfield and then ES6 for the foreseeable future.

Also Doom and Halo under the same roof. Wow.

1 hour ago, cybdmn said:

Where there any real alternative to wintel in gaming at any certain point in time after the mid 90ies?

Not outside of consoles, but ARM is starting to look like a very serious threat to x86 these days so perhaps that status quo could change. This article I found interesting, and that was written before the NVIDIA buyout:

https://medium.com/swlh/is-it-game-over-for-the-x86-isa-and-intel-5ce1b00fbd1

I hope Microsoft takes over development for all Bethesda games (not id games).

Something was odd with Bethesda, they produced massive hits and milked them dry yet it's like they had no money to invest in their propriety games. Their development team were like glorified modders who could only produce maps and content. New engines, bug fixes, polishing etc - they just lost their touch, in which they were flawed to begin with. In fact there are modders who has proven more technically superior and efficient than Bethesda's team.

3 minutes ago, Chezza said:

I hope Microsoft takes over development for all Bethesda games (not id games).

Something was odd with Bethesda, they produced massive hits and milked them dry yet it's like they had no money to invest in their propriety games. Their development team were like glorified modders who could only produce maps and content. New engines, bug fixes, polishing etc - they just lost their touch, in which they were flawed to begin with. In fact there are modders who has proven more technically superior and efficient than Bethesda's team.

I like their paid mod program. Part of the reasoning they give for why certain specific mods will be allowed on there and have a price tag is because they wanted every mod to be canon but also because they reassured they were giving their own top QA tests for them.

A number of paid mods have game breaking bugs that have been well known for a while that still aren't fixed.

This is going to be interesting, especially when we see Doom 6, hopefully it's going to be better than the last two, although the last two aren't bad though.

1 minute ago, AtticTelephone said:

hopefully it's going to be better than the last two, although the last two aren't bad though.

I don't think there will be a third one.

WHAT!?

No, not that I don't think there will be another one, I just don't believe that the third game will be in the series of NuDOOM. I think that they will release the DLC, then move onto another project. Then, in like 4 years, somebody is going to be like, "Omigod! Remember this game?! We should make another!" Then, there will be a whole new game, without the arena battles, and the exploration back, like the original games. I don't even think it would have happened with or without xBox's buy. It just felt like they were kind of ending it. Maybe they'll release something like Final DOOM, but that would be it. I would like a Mother Demon battle, though. Lol

5 hours ago, Antkibo said:

How many Skyrim versions are there?

Three. Original, special edition, and vr. And I suppose switch version so maybe four. Not counting system specific releases of a given version.

Edit: I guess legendary edition but that's basically a game of the year thing with no real changes, just dlc added.

Edited by Murdoch