• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vorpal

vorpal's 2020 wad picks from the community

Thanks for the shout out to me and many others

This is why this is a great community 🤠

44 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

I started doing this because I noticed a huge uptick in community productivity in the last few years (new interest from bethesda-doom I guess), too much for me to even hope to keep up with playing, so I wanted a list to fall back on for when I'm in the old folks home. Also I have kinda grown to resent the Cacowards in a weird sort of way, as it has this side effect of nobody giving a shit about other wads from a given year - yes I'm aware we have periodic "underrated wad" threads but they're scattered and buried and disorganized with time, and yes this is just another forum thread that will suffer the same fate, although some day I intend to preserve the list in an old timey webpage.

I think a big inclusive list of a year's notable releases would be as useful as the Cacowards -- or honestly, more -- so I am glad you are compiling and sharing this. 

Nice to see any of my maps in this list, and thanks for the compilation itself, I will surely come back to try some of these community creations.

Nice list, you make a good point that plenty of high-quality wads go unnoticed and underrated after a few years at a time. I remember going to idgames and clicking the 'random' button late at night, discovering gold, silver, or abhorrent trash. Yet, plenty of the gold I found was never mentioned, if not, only slightly so, and most caco-awards pay no mind to it sometimes; but after all there is so much it's hard to keep up. Not to mention the wads people play the most aren't always the best, but the most talked about or flashy/colorful. Either way, I appreciate your efforts here, and I'll be checking out a great many wads on this list when I have the time.

13 minutes ago, The_SloVinator said:

Although, I'd like to correct you with the right link.

Thanks, I bet there's some other links of mine that are "WIP playtesting" threads and not the "Real release thread", and invite any corrections folks my have!

Thanks for the mention!  I actually am about to finish the full 30-level WAD of all classic deathmatch.  A few more levels just need some tweakin'.

I'm working on a final / updated version of Classic Deathmatch Redux now.  Would love to hear anyone's feedback on how it is so far, particularly if anyone's used it for Deathmatch.  If anyone's interested, I was gonna host a server, too.

Great job! An excellent list that helps both the authors to get a little more exposure and the players to find new WADs to enjoy.

This year has undoubtedly been one of the most productive for the community. In my work collecting the WADs published in the Doomworld section, I have found that on average 40-30 WADs are published every 15 days. And that's only on Doomworld!

By the way, we're always looking for WAD scouts and reviewers for the Wadazine ;)

Thank you very much for shoutout.

The project will get updated asap, though I have some more stuff in the works.

Cool list and thanks for the shoutout! I've been on a break from Doom for a bit but it's nice to see a lot of new names making notable wads.

Big thanks for the shoutout, I appreciate that. 

Being Trapped is Hell is easily my best map so far, I think, so glad you enjoyed it :)

Thanks for the mention, i was working much more on it before unfortently losing my computer, however i did save an emergency backup a few weeks prior that had 5 extra wip levels, with added textures /enemies connected to the wad, i was contemplating puting the last wip wap up as a sort of community project to see if anyone could help finish levels 16-20, as i am goin to be without a computer for awhile, but heres the link if anyone is interested in helping finish these levels, i lost a couple of weeks work so it was not the ideal backup save but its better then nothing.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/v87kgwkuv05zju5/file

17 hours ago, Aku said:

Thanks for the mention, i was working much more on it before unfortently losing my computer, however i did save an emergency backup a few weeks prior that had 5 extra wip levels, with added textures /enemies connected to the wad, i was contemplating puting the last wip wap up as a sort of community project to see if anyone could help finish levels 16-20, as i am goin to be without a computer for awhile, but heres the link if anyone is interested in helping finish these levels, i lost a couple of weeks work so it was not the ideal backup save but its better then nothing.

I'm playing through your wad currently and I think it's really solid.  The extra weapons are cool.  The flamethrower has to be the new favorite.  Only gripe with some of the levels is it's not super obvious to figure out what the switches do sometimes, or how many you're looking for.  Overall, the design is moody and excellent.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:21 PM, Aku said:

Just as a follow-up, there were some magnificent levels in this baby. And there were others that I couldn't be bothered with.  The more teleporting back and forth, the less interest on my part.  BUT.....Some of the early maps were fun, I thought MAP12 was a perfect little level, and MAP17 (the one with all the custom Doom/Duke3D enemies).  MAP16 was spooky and had a great feel.

I love that none of these maps felt too long, aside from too much teleporting and maybe too many long corridors that look similar.  There's some great work on here.  I think you have a TON of potential with those modded enemies.  It'd be cool to see a Doom-style remake of Duke3D but with a mix of enemies and done with Doom texture styles.  Cool stuff either man.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:52 PM, KevvyLava said:

Just as a follow-up, there were some magnificent levels in this baby. And there were others that I couldn't be bothered with.  The more teleporting back and forth, the less interest on my part.  BUT.....Some of the early maps were fun, I thought MAP12 was a perfect little level, and MAP17 (the one with all the custom Doom/Duke3D enemies).  MAP16 was spooky and had a great feel.

I love that none of these maps felt too long, aside from too much teleporting and maybe too many long corridors that look similar.  There's some great work on here.  I think you have a TON of potential with those modded enemies.  It'd be cool to see a Doom-style remake of Duke3D but with a mix of enemies and done with Doom texture styles.  Cool stuff either man.

Thanks for the feedback🙂

I appreciate it.

Thanks for the mention of the Ascension. iwad in it doom2. And now there is a revision of the balance and bugs. A new map will also be added.

Thanks for checking out the Demonfear MidiPack, Brad.
Yes, i made it last year, but is thanks to the DWMC that its on the front page now hahaha :D

I'm still tweaking it for better compatibility with almost all source ports.

Your wad pick is awesome, and surelly it will serve as a datbade to search the content of this year in the future.
Have you checked Three is a Crowd and CPD? They are both really low profile megawads made this year.