Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fufu

Limited Run Games is going to release Doomguy's classic helmet

1 hour ago, jamondemarnatural said:

This is epic to the people that don't get the Slayer Helmet in the Special Edition of Doom

I already have the DOOM Eternal CE with the helmet, but I'd love to have this as well.

Technically, this is less "classic" and more "cover art" as we may ascertain from the litany of features which egregiously disagree with what appears in the game itself.

aFGaLYa.jpg

It'd be more accurate to call this the "Don Helmet", albeit referring to this Don and not this Don as Don greatly disagrees with himself as well.

God damn, Punchatz was a fantastic artist. I always get reminded when I see those two scans.

My take is almost as anal as Revenant's - why isn't this thing beige/tan-ish rather than silver?!

fe4c30f9103c4363a0206bc016204a28.png

0/10 Not Enough Doomguy Helmet.

...I'm kidding of course, this actually looks pretty sweet.

Limited Run Games usually makes USB themed Floppy Disks for some releases. They could launch all of Classic Doom in that format instead of doing a pin. I would buy that.

Just gonna leave these pics here for people who don't care to click the links:

Spoiler

DoomHelmet_1.png

DoomHelmet_2.png

EDIT: oddly enough, it seems this promotional photoshop job has a better render of the helmet:
handsholdinghelmetonbgnd.jpg

Weathering and detail is pretty nice. (mouth grill might make a neat wall texture ;))

Edited by kwc

My only major concern is that due to lack of preorder safety nets and no limits on the amounts of helmets a customer could purchase, this could easily be a (literal) steal for several bots and scalpers (and we all saw what happened during the RTX 3080 preordering fiasco).

But other than that, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the final product will look (the helmet in particular)!

I am fairly certain this helmet is based off of the helmet design from Quake Champions. Look at the dent above the right side of the visor, nearly identical. 

qepjpva7bchz.png

In the classic Doom cover art, Doomguy's helmet had no battle damage on it at all, so this isn't an attempted recreation of the coverart helmet. Interestingly, id used either the same model or a touched up version for Doom Eternal's classic helmet. 

ETWAdnCU0AE520o.jpg

Looks pretty cool. However, I'd love to see a re-release of that cartoony looking classic Doomguy mini-figure from Symbiote Studios from a couple years ago. I'm still regretting not buying that when I had the chance lol.

Hot damn, I love Boxartguy's helmet! I'm totally down for thi-

>Limited quantity

>Sale starts while I'm at work and probably won't be home until like six-eight hours later

Ah, fuck.

@Mr. Freeze
Good eye.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got a hold of the 3D model assets and adapted them in order to construct these things.

They seem to do giveaways of most of their releases, hoping that's the case with this one.

Don't care much about the helmet but it'd be a good opportunity to get a good size cover art print and I'm always a fan of enamel pins.

Like other people are saying, the modern "classic" design is very much a reimagining based on the (infamously inaccurate) cover art rather than actual in-game art. Kinda sucks that it's somewhat inauthentic but I still think the design looks great. Really can't blame them either, the cover art is definitely way more iconic than the actual sprite used in game.

Limited Run Games really likes DOOM lately. I wonder what else they have in store? 

Took some measurements of my DE helmet, since I couldn't find the dimensions for it posted anywhere, and it looks like this helmet will be pretty much the same size in terms of height and width. Wasn't going to try and get it if it was noticeably smaller, since I'd want to put both helmets on display next to each other, but now I for sure want to try and get it. Between this and the Doom 64 release they are doing the same day, I may have to choose one or the other.

On 9/22/2020 at 5:44 PM, Danzer said:

It also comes with a floppy disk pin and a high-quality print of the original cover art, pretty cool if you have the money for it i guess.

fuuuuuck this. fuck limited run games. it's probably easier to me to buy a sealed copy of the ultimate doom.

Just now, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

No limit per purchase. Scalpers ahoy!

yeah, i was lucky to by the shitty 3D all stars collection, but this will be gone in a fucking second.

13 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

it's probably easier to me to buy a sealed copy of the ultimate doom.

It is, or it used to be.  I got sealed copies of the older DOS-only (pre-DOOM95) CD-ROM big box releases of The Ultimate DOOM (with the poster) and DOOM II from eBay in 2017.

But this Helmet Collector's Bundle would cost me a whopping AU $200, and that's not even including shipping.

4 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

yeah, i was lucky to by the shitty 3D all stars collection, but this will be gone in a fucking second.

Not to mention there's no way of telling if it's gonna fit on your head. My noggin is quite big (62 cm circumference) so I could just end up buying a paperweight.

i for one couldn't really get the slayer helmet to fit on my head without fearing that it would get stuck, so i don't have high hopes about this one fitting me as well.

6 hours ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Not to mention there's no way of telling if it's gonna fit on your head. My noggin is quite big (62 cm circumference) so I could just end up buying a paperweight.

6 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

It is, or it used to be.  I got sealed copies of the older DOS-only (pre-DOOM95) CD-ROM big box releases of The Ultimate DOOM (with the poster) and DOOM II from eBay in 2017.

But this Helmet Collector's Bundle would cost me a whopping AU $200, and that's not even including shipping.

Ye, i found ultimate doom for 50 bucks on amazon, might pick it up later.

19 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Can't wait to get this and dance in front of the mirror wearing only this and a single black sock to the E1M9 music

You better record that shit and put it on youtube. I want to hear the slaps.

It's in my time zone and $32 USD for the shipping, plus $11 tax (also got a Doom 64 T-shirt).   Ouch!  But will be awesome when I get it.   Kinda makes up for Target cancelling my Doom Eternal preorder and screwing me out of physical deluxe edition and not even trying to get the collector's edition.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:48 AM, Boomslang said:

Ye, i found ultimate doom for 50 bucks on amazon, might pick it up later.

In December '95, I think got Ultimate Doom with printed autograph poster for maybe $30 new in Staples.  Can't remember exactly if that was the price but also got Doom II for I think the same.   Bet you wish you had a time machine.   If I did I would save all my Doom manuals!  Got all the boxes and stuff, but my manuals are gone for all Doom games and a few other good games!   I'd tell my younger self to keep them in the damn boxes and out of reach of cats!   PC Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, SNES Doom all the books gone.   Master Levels just had one folded sheet of paper with bare info I think.   Doom 64 I just got the cart only.

Cool, Limited Run has a CD audio soundtrack to Samurai Shodown in stock.   I might have got that if I didn't already have Samurai Shodown 2 for PC which has all the music as CD audio tracks.   Awesome fuedal Japan music mixed with some rock.

Edited by Gokuma

On 9/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, Boomslang said:

You know, I deliberately cancelled my preorder when I found out 3DAS was emulated. Considering my old systems are still to hand, it seemd kind of pointless. There are only certain titles I'll double-dip on.

Got my PS4 and Switch copies of Doom 64 locked in, so I'm sorted :P

9 hours ago, Gokuma said:

It's in my time zone and $32 USD for the shipping, plus $11 tax (also got a Doom 64 T-shirt).   Ouch!  But will be awesome when I get it.   Kinda makes up for Target cancelling my Doom Eternal preorder and screwing me out of physical deluxe edition and not even trying to get the collector's edition.

In December '95, I think got Ultimate Doom with printed autograph poster for maybe $30 new in Staples.  Can't remember exactly if that was the price but also got Doom II for I think the same.   Bet you wish you had a time machine.   If I did I would save all my Doom manuals!  Got all the boxes and stuff, but my manuals are gone for all Doom games and a few other good games!   I'd tell my younger self to keep them in the damn boxes and out of reach of cats!   PC Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, SNES Doom all the books gone.   Master Levels just had one folded sheet of paper with bare info I think.   Doom 64 I just got the cart only.

Cool, Limited Run has a CD audio soundtrack to Samurai Shodown in stock.   I might have got that if I didn't already have Samurai Shodown 2 for PC which has all the music as CD audio tracks.   Awesome fuedal Japan music mixed with some rock.

well sadly this is the future and retro game prices skyrocket, still a good deal for how popular doom is.