Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtticTelephone

I want to work on a game but I'm lazy.

I've always wanted to make games, but I'm lazy and the closest thing I ever got to making a full game was when I made a somewhat enjoyable but glitchy 3D platformer from a 2D angle... in Unity. I'm thinking about coding a unique engine, and I have the resources to code a C++ program, but I'm also lazy with that. Is there any short program so I could code some Wolf3D style project? How do I stop being lazy and abandoning projects to go to another project I'll abandon (writing stories, making megawads, etc)?

Fabien Sanglard wrote the Wolfenstein 3D Game Engine Black Book (and one for Doom, too :) ) that pretty much completely documents the engine, and various people recreated that engine in a few days for fun in various programming languages using it. I believe the ebook version is free. As for how to become less lazy in general, I only wish I knew myself.

i know 2 engines that you can make a wolf3d style game WITHOUT coding, if that's your cup of tea.

Raycasting Game Maker - very simple, wolf3d style engine, features an editor where you can paint your levels with tile blocks and stuff. it's not that great though.

FPS Creator - full 3d engine where you can also paint your levels with "segments", also supports scripting and has its own scripting language. it's pretty simple for a beginner yet pretty powerful for an experienced user.

There is a program called FPS creator that another memeber (ahaaa! there is!) of doomworld is also using to make games and for what i had seen, it look pretty good.

Most of all depend on what you want to do.

One of the most succefull games of the last years that i don't particulary like but i admit its charming, Undertale, was made in GameMaker Pro, i think. And a lot of commercialy succesfull games are made on some kind of very basic ''lets make a game'' engine.
If you know how to code, thats a big plus because this programs has the option to use coding for a deeper development.
There are a lot of indie games made on RPG Maker for example, and yes there is a lot of crap, but in between them you have this miracle.

And lazyness will led you nowhere, pal!
Even if you had the best idea in the world, if no one sees it, its means nothing.
Start with something small, accomplish it, and then go for something a little bigger.
Gain experience on what you can do without sweat, and what demands you a little more effort.
When you realice, you will have the aknowledge to tackle something bigger.

Rushing things will also led you nowhere, so take it easy.

To become less lazy, you can have a near-death experience, and then with you realizing how short life really is, you would be motivated to create the game.

Are you thinking of creating a Boomer Shooter game? There are so many great options! Have fun making it! :D

I'm in the same position of you. I've got two different game ideas, but not enough skills or will to make them real.

Maybe in a future when I could afford to pay a team to create it, or take some course and practice a ton to make it my own.

2 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

How do I stop being lazy and abandoning projects to go to another project I'll abandon (writing stories, making megawads, etc)?

Self-discipline is key and makes the difference between achieving your goals and constantly saying, "Eh I'll do it later." You basically need to either light a fire under your arse and put your money where you mouth is or admit that you're fooling yourself and that you have no real intention on making the things you supposedly want to make. You need to channel your passion and actually start doing the work or the projects you daydream about creating will forever remain daydreams.

2 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

How do I stop being lazy and abandoning projects to go to another project I'll abandon (writing stories, making megawads, etc)?

Being lazy occasionally is normal (and even considered healthy). However, if you are habitually lazy, then it suggests you are not really interested in the activity with which you are trying to engage. Sometimes you can get lucky and create something you are proud of, despite putting in little effort. This could motivate you to shed your laziness and continue your pursuit with renewed vigor. In the absence of such luck you can apply discipline. For example, you could decide to spend one hour each day on your project, even if it's only doodling your ideas. You might discard much of your work, but you might find some wheat in the chaff. You'll be surprised what emerges, even with the lack of inspiration.

EDIT: @Biodegradable beat me to the punch and essentially said the same thing I did.

As a creative person myself and aspiring book writer, what Biodegradable says is crucial.
Self-discipline is the key to progress, but there is also something that is more important than self-discipline: enjoying what you do.
I love to read, and i love to write, so i got no problem at all when i had to do it.
But i hate to rewrite, reread and fix.
Thats when my discipline comes handy.
And yes, its not easy.
When you are attached to a project for long time, it start to burn you, and thats inevitable.
So taking a break from time to time its not bad at all, and as @ReX said, its healthy sometimes.

Maybe you start a new project, and that motivates you, but then the same happens, and you are burnt again.

The difference between someone who made progress and some who not, it that the first one comes back to that incomplete project and complete it.
And thats the hardest part of being creative.
Ending something.

Just now, Clippy said:

I have the opposite problem I can't stop myself until I finish a project it's madebing

Thats because you like what you do, and you don't struggle to make it. And for certain that feeling is awesome! Being just there to complete it! Just a little more... until its finally done!
But sometimes, in my case as a writer, you want to make it different, try another angle, a complex atmosphere, add a different flavor, and thats when creativity deploy its full potential. But being in that state of mind, forcing new ways, is really demanding mentally and physically.
For example, i know for sure that i can write really good horror or mystery stories, and i can write them in a breeze, maybe even one per day and with really good quality, but if want to use them on a bigger picture, thats when things start going a little slower and i had to take time doing other things to not get burnt out.

2 hours ago, TotalTS said:

I'm in the same position of you. I've got two different game ideas, but not enough skills or will to make them real.

I have about 4 ideas for games but I don't know shit about coding. So I stick with editing Doom maps. lol

One key to defeating said laziness is don't bite off more than you can chew. Always, always start with a small scope project that is fairly easy to make, and short but enjoyable. Being able to complete a bite sized game in an easy engine will give you a sense of accomplishment, and soon you'll be able to gradually start more ambitious things. As to what engine to use, I can't say I can give you any recommendations in accordance to what you want to make, but the other members have already posted about some interesting options. Best luck to your projects!

6 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

Thanks guys, currently I'm looking at C++ tutorials, and I hope I'll be able to create some sort of video game engine.

Writing your own engine will for certain be a great learning experience from an intellectual point of view, but if you want to make games, don't you think you'd be better off using one of the myriad frameworks or engines already out there? Unless your game has some really outré core mechanics, any engine you create is going to be 90% wheel reinvention.  Which means less time working on what is unique: your game.

12 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

.... I hope I'll be able to create some sort of video game engine.

One important thing I forgot to mention is the value of collaboration. This can be a great cure for laziness, while also:

1. Providing the benefits of getting a different point of view

2. Offering you encouragement when you have the urge to slack off

3. Reducing the pressure you might feel if you're working on something alone

4. Sharing the workload

I can't find the exact quote, but Chuck Palahniuk (cringe, I know) mentioned setting a timer for ten minutes, and forcing yourself to engage with your creative work for at least that long. By the time the timer ends, you'll usually have built up enough momentum you'll continue working. If you didn't, take a break and try again later.

as someone who has made games for fun, my recommendation is as someone above said, start small.

Don't go for writing a full game engine for a 3d FPS at start, do something small and easy, maybe even a turn based game, just so that you can grasp the ideas behind it, then do a side-scroller or so and eventually you'll have enough practice to make a bigger better game.

As for laziness.. Find people who are willing to play the things you do, in my experience having some sort of feedback helps a lot.