Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mayomancer

Does Mayonnaise belong on pizza?

The problem I think with anchovies is that they have such a strong flavour, that they overwhelm everything else on the pizza.

Just now, NoXion said:

The problem I think with anchovies is that they have such a strong flavour, that they overwhelm everything else on the pizza.

One slice of pizza with anchovies is great. But after the first slice, all you can taste is anchovies. 

31 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I love pineapple on pizza, I know that makes me a Heretic, but mayo is too far for me personally.

What about vegemite? ;)

18 minutes ago, Smouths said:

My 2 cents now that the pineapple wars have begun:

My personal favorite pizza is topped with pineapple, pepperoni, red onion, and banana peppers- I don't like pairing pineapple with ham, oddly enough.

Gotta dip said pizza in a side of buffalo sauce though. One time I mixed mayo in with the buffalo sauce and it was pretty good, but I prefer just buffalo.

In my opinion pineapple is better with white onions because they're a bit more stronger than the red ones and so they balance the taste of the pineapple

2 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

What about vegemite? ;)

Um... What? Is it because I'm American that I haven't heard of vegemite? 

10 minutes ago, Smoothandz said:

Um... What? Is it because I'm American that I haven't heard of vegemite? 

I dunno why. I'm Canadian and know about vegemite. I've never had it myself, but did try it's little brother Marmite and it was pretty foul. haha.

I have never put mayo on pizza. Doesn't sound all that appealing.

I've made a few hundred pizzas, probably more. Sometimes I'll grate cheddar and mozza together on top, like this one I made a few months ago.

pURXBjo.jpg

Alfredo sauce is pretty good on pizza. I know it might not sound all that appealing, but it's worth experiencing. Goes good with mushrooms and sausages. 

5 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

I dunno why. I'm Canadian and know about vegemite. I've never had it myself, but did try it's little brother Marmite and it was pretty foul. haha.

I don't think mayo would be all that great on pizza. I can see it probably getting very liguid-fied and making things soupy... maybe.

I've made a few hundred pizzas, probably more. Sometimes I'll grate cheddar and mozza together on top, like this one I made a few months ago.

Why hello there, neighbor up north! I also enjoy adding different cheeses to my pizza. Have you tried gouda?

Pineapple on pizza is fantastic with the right savory toppings to contrast against.

Mayo I dunno. I've heard it's common in Japan, and I guess I could imagine it working with the Kewpie mayo they sell over there, which is a pretty good all-purpose flavor enhancer. I've had pizza with aioli on it, which is kind of a similar idea, it was tasty but it was such a heavy meal I felt like it took a few years off my life.

1 minute ago, Biodegradable said:

That is a handsome looking pizza, @Doom_Dude. I bet it was delicious.

Thanks. It was pretty tasty actually. ;)

Just now, Smoothandz said:

Why hello there, neighbor up north! I also enjoy adding different cheeses to my pizza. Have you tried gouda?

Greetings. Yes, smoked gouda is good on pizza and other places like crackers and such.

1 minute ago, esselfortium said:

Pineapple on pizza is fantastic with the right savory toppings to contrast against.

Mayo I dunno. I've heard it's common in Japan, and I guess I could imagine it working with the Kewpie mayo they sell over there, which is a pretty good all-purpose flavor enhancer. I've had pizza with aioli on it, which is kind of a similar idea, it was tasty but it was such a heavy meal I felt like it took a few years off my life.

That reminds me of this spicy mayo that came with a steak fajita kit, which was pretty damned good. I think the mayo was just mixed with some cayenne pepper. That might be doable....

41 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

It contains neither pine nor apple. It is the fruit of lies!

fun fact : 

it's called Ananas or close to it in almost every other language. Even russian : Анана́с!

I work at a pizza place, and I like to think I know what I like on a pizza. I always make myself pineapple, jalapeno and bacon. Its sweet, spicy, and bit crunchy. Why, that's almost the entire food pyramid.

3 hours ago, Mayomancer said:

It's not like i always eat pizza with mayo on it, but i do like to put it on let's say, a pepperoni pizza for example, specially if it's seasoned or spicy mayonnaise. Most of the time i just put some olive oil and hot sauce on pizza. The thing is, when i mention i do that i get quite the strong reaction from people mostly against it, why is that? A lot of pizza places where i live even send some mayo with the pizzas they make, maybe it's a cultural thing?

What's your take on it?

Username checks out.

No mayo for me. On anything, really.

Pizza is already a pretty "rich" dish, and a well made one is so damn tasty that it doesn't need anything more added to it.

Adding a condiment to pizza (especially the greasy pizza chain crap) which is basically made from +90% pure fat sounds like a sure fire way to get obese and develop diabetes in the process.

I don't even care about what people think may or may not belong on pizza, but fuck sakes does it sound unhealthy...

Never tried with mayo. I've put some guacamole on pizza, that was pretty good. Suppose it's healthier too.

Also about pineapple, yea sure it's good, but kiwi fruit is better.

another italian is here? and he said that mayo is okay? dammit. disgraceful. just joking @TenenteZashu

Fact is that mayo is used together with ketchup to make a disgusting pink sauce that sometimes is used on shrimps, this doesn't mean that it's okay on pizza, i mean... but yea you can eat whatever pleases you the important thing is that you like it. When i was cooking in arizona some people (from canada btw @Clippy) used to put tabasco sauce on my pasta and i hated them, then i realized it's just a matter of taste and now i don't really care anymore. You can even eat pineapple pizza for what i care^^

JUST DON'T CALL CARBONARA THAT SHIT FROM GOR(g)ON RAMSEY PLEASE.

kwc's stinky pizza:
Sweet Chili Thai Sauce, Mozarella + Goat + Feta cheese, Sweet Garlic + Pepper seasoning

If you can find a place that makes it, try it. It's good and nobody else will ask for a slice.