Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • 0
forgettablepyromaniac

How would I make a portal with Doom Builder 2?

Question

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
2 hours ago, Fonze said:

Dbx came out shortly after gzdb

 

The first commit to the DBX repository was 8 months after MaxED abandoned GZDB (after working on it for about 5 years).

 

3 hours ago, Fonze said:

Still, this is a good time to point out that an old fix for the db family of editors is literally to just restart your computer, funny as that sounds. The reason being is because of issues with how the editors use memory and something in there is a bit wonky;

 

It had nothing to do with memory. It was the way DB2 used the system uptime for its timing, and as floating point numbers work, the precision deteriorated with longer uptime, resulting in choppy movement. This had been fixed in GZDB ages ago, and I assume DBX also fixed this.

 

The small lag when highlighting another object comes from the bottom panel. If it's too slow and bothering you a workaround is to hide the panel.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Doombuilder2 is an editor tailored to the DOOM2 engine and thus limited in features.

GZDoom Builder is tailored to the features of GZDoom.

 

Therefore, if you want to build a portal into your map, you will have to upgrade your editor.

And if you do that, you might as well install Ultimate Doom Builder, which is uptodate with

the latest GZDoom features.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Even though it’s no longer maintained, GZDB may have slightly better performance if lag is an issue, since it requires less grunt.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

The main issue with db2 for this is that it may be a slight bit too old to have the portal functions mapped out in its advanced formats; you could still use it to make portals but youd have to do everything super manually.

 

Moving on to the more recent "builders," gzdb came out as portals were being developed and becoming popular so it definitely should have that capacity built in; if gzdb didnt lag for you then you should be ok to swap back to it and still be able to make what you want. Dbx came out shortly after gzdb and focuses mostly on removing the extra clutter in the editor brought about by the most advanced formats (in fact the lag of gzdb was one of the driving forces behind this iirc), though it can still work with them too. Still, at the cost of thing-sprites and such that's an ouch. Finally there is udb which you're using now. I've never really used it so I cant say much about it other than that it looks very similar to gzdb (it is based on it afterall), but I'm also not surprised it requires a bit more overhead in processing power.

 

A super heavily alternative to this is that you could use one editor for making portals (or theoretically any particular facet of mapping, like thing placement with sprites showing up on the map as opposed to nondescript arrows) but at the same time for strictly portals it's probably the exact same process in udb as it is in gzdb.

 

As far as lag in the db family of editors: from my experience the worst lag I get comes about in 3d mode, but lag has been an issue for some people with some of these, particularly gzdb and udb. Still, this is a good time to point out that an old fix for the db family of editors is literally to just restart your computer, funny as that sounds. The reason being is because of issues with how the editors use memory and something in there is a bit wonky; I dont remember everything fully but again iirc this was a driving force behind dbx's development. 

 

Long story short tho if gzdb works well for you, without lag, then you will prolly want to stick with that as it is absolutely capable of making the portals you want.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Ah it appears my memory was off a bit; thanks for the clarification :)

 

Apologies I'm editing in this second part so cant quote directly:

Quote

The first commit to the DBX repository was 8 months after MaxED abandoned GZDB (after working on it for about 5 years).

 

I suppose it's a bit semantic, but didnt the dev of gzdb continue after maxed left? I guess I dont tend to differentiate much between gzdb and gzdb-bf so my thought was on that as opposed to the original iterations of gzdb.

Edited by Fonze

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Doombuilder2 is an editor tailored to the DOOM2 engine and thus limited in features.

GZDoom Builder is tailored to the features of GZDoom.

 

Therefore, if you want to build a portal into your map, you will have to upgrade your editor.

And if you do that, you might as well install Ultimate Doom Builder, which is uptodate with

the latest GZDoom features.

I've installed Ultimate Doom Builder, feels a bit alien but not bad.
When I scroll over a texture though, it lags for half a second while getting the details for it.
Should I get the 64-bit Version instead or is this a normal issue?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

I've installed Ultimate Doom Builder, feels a bit alien but not bad.

 

As in Doombuilder2 the editing toolbar is on top, but the extra features are on the sidetoolbar.

 

2 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

When I scroll over a texture though, it lags for half a second while getting the details for it.
Should I get the 64-bit Version instead or is this a normal issue?

 

Ultimate Doom Builder needs a graphics adapter able to render OpenGL 3.3 or above.

If your graphics card is an INTEL card, then perhaps that may cause the lag.

 

I have been using both versions, 32 bit and 64 bit, without noticeable handicaps.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
15 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

 

As in Doombuilder2 the editing toolbar is on top, but the extra features are on the sidetoolbar.

I know, I mostly meant hotkeys. 3D mode is Q instead of W, ect.

 

15 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Ultimate Doom Builder needs a graphics adapter able to render OpenGL 3.3 or above.

If your graphics card is an INTEL card, then perhaps that may cause the lag.

 

I have been using both versions, 32 bit and 64 bit, without noticeable handicaps.

I can run OpenGL 3.3, because I have installed the latest version of OpenGL on my laptop, but it is an Intel Graphics card, so that's probably an issue.

 

But it's only when I'm scrolling over a new object (wether it be a floor, wall, player start, ect) that I lag for a tenth of a second. I'll try the 64-bit version later today and see if that helps at all, or if you know what's up let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

But it's only when I'm scrolling over a new object (wether it be a floor, wall, player start, ect) that I lag for a tenth of a second. I'll try the 64-bit version later today and see if that helps at all, or if you know what's up let me know.

Update: 64-bit loads even worse. I'll stick with the slight lag from the 32-bit.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×